Remington 552 or nylon 66

PDA

HeadlandRam
November 6, 2008, 10:11 PM
Well the gunshow is coming and I am looking for a 'nother .22 if I cannot find a higher caliber rifle. Should I get a 552 speedmaster or nylon 66 or BOTH!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 552 or nylon 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CRITGIT
November 6, 2008, 10:49 PM
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got the 552 and it's one of my favorites. I used to shoot a friends 66 when I was a kid. We always thought they were bullet proof!:)
Post pics of what ya buy!

CRITGIT

Heck
November 7, 2008, 12:47 AM
LOVE!!!!!! my speedmaster

rangerruck
November 7, 2008, 04:21 AM
the speedmaster will shoot short, long , and long rifle, all in the same tube, plus it will shoot the massive Aguila sniper sss 60 grainers, without keyholing them.
the nylon 66 while fantastic, is about twice as much, and almost impossible to take down, without detail instructions.
Lastly, the speedmaster/fieldmaster/type rifles have been made nonstop, for about 50 years now, should tell you something.

mgkdrgn
November 7, 2008, 07:56 AM
the nylon 66 while fantastic, is about twice as much, and almost impossible to take down, without detail instructions.

The beauty of that is ... you don't have to take it down! I've been shooting my Nylon 77 on a regular basis for, oh, 35 years, and it's never been taken down.

tribbles
November 7, 2008, 10:56 AM
You will never regret buying the 552.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah, both or the 552, +1.

mainmech48
November 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
The Nylon 66 has some singular virtues that make it a superb field/utility/fun RF rifle, IMO.

It is extremely light for an "adult" sized rifle, even by today's standards, at approx. 4.5#.

It balances superbly, which gives it exemplary handling characterisitics especially on moving targets.

It delivers very good accuracy with the ammo it prefers, by any reasonable standard for a purely field/utility semiauto RF, especially one designed for and marketed to the "budget concious" end of the market.

It combines excellent functional reliability with extraordinary ruggedness and durability, and requires only the barest minimum of routine maintenance to do so.

A copy of the original owners manual can be had free of charge from Remington upon request. All you need to do is ask and supply the serial number. Illustrated instructions for performing what little in the way of cleaning and lubrication it needs are included.

About my only gripe is that Remington forgot to supply a way to attach a sling/carry strap. Fortunately, Uncle Mike's has an inexpensive solution and it's an easy DIY.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 552 or nylon 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!