Gun safe, Deadly to pets!

PDA

R.W.Dale
November 7, 2008, 07:47 AM
You know the thought had never crossed my mind before yesterday so let me relate this little story to ya.

I had just gotten in the safe to retrieve some insurance cards , after finding what I needed I then proceeded to absentmindedly close the safe door. Luckily just before the door swung shut I noticed movement at the bottom of my vision. To my surprise and relief for noticing it was our cat inside my gunsafe. What a close call! If I hadn't noticed it likely could have been awhile before I would have discovered the poor cat's demise and while I have no great emotional attachment to our feline companion I blanch at the thought of my prized firearms collection sharing a confined space with the putrefying corpse of what was once a housecat. YUCK!

So let this serve as a PSA to check the safe for cats, dogs or small children before spinning that dial

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun safe, Deadly to pets!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nautilus
November 7, 2008, 07:49 AM
My cats love to get in my gun safe every time I open the door. I'm always very cautious of that.

RKBABob
November 7, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have to keep firearms away from my cats... Their little paws always go straight for the trigger! :eek:

Edited to add: Maybe they have a particular attraction to Mouse Guns?!?

2nd 41
November 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
Your safes will always be free of mice.

pbearperry
November 7, 2008, 08:29 AM
Not only would the cat die,your firearms would probably rust during decomposition.Ewwwwwwwww

frogomatic
November 7, 2008, 08:33 AM
that's a stupid cat for you, and one more reason on my ever growing list of reasons why I can't stand house cats.

RKBABob
November 7, 2008, 08:49 AM
that's a stupid cat for you
Watch out, frogo, thems fightin words in my house! :fire: :cuss:

:neener: :neener: :neener:

R.W.Dale
November 7, 2008, 09:14 AM
that's a stupid cat for you, and one more reason on my ever growing list of reasons why I can't stand house cats.

OK what mobile mousetrap will go on it's own rodent seek and destroy missions. I'm the opposite while I don't exactly love cats I hate dumb dogs, all they do is bark and wait for YOU to take care of em. Unlike a cat a dog won't do anything for itself.

Just One Shot
November 7, 2008, 09:38 AM
It's not a problem for me. I have a 90 lb. female Boxer, you can't miss her when she's under foot!
:D

a1abdj
November 7, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've seen a number of cats attempt to use the new safe we just delivered as a little box.

I think it has something to do with the smell from the carpet or carpet adhesive.

Eyesac
November 7, 2008, 11:24 AM
If you ban guns only cats will have them...

average_shooter
November 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
Had a cat walk into the bottom shelf of an upright freezer once. Even closed the door on her before I realized where she had suddenly disappeared to.

She quickly realized that she was, indeed, a housecat and didn't like being that cold, and took off like a shot when I opened the door.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
that's a stupid cat for you

From the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Hawk
November 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
Buy more guns.

The cat won't fit.

cambeul41
November 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
I hate dumb dogs, all they do is bark and wait for YOU to take care of em.

Sounds like some people I know. Fortunately, my dog is smart and does a good job taking care of me. We take care of each other.

tribbles
November 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
OK what mobile mousetrap will go on it's own rodent seek and destroy missions.

Terrier owners know the answer to this one.

That being said, I wonder how well a gun safe with an emergency pet door would sell. Not just 'for the children', for the pets, too!

ants
November 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
Brings new meaning to the term "Safe Queen".

rondog
November 7, 2008, 12:18 PM
A friend of my wife's put some clothes in the dryer, closed it and turned it on. When she went to get the clothes out, that's when she found the cat that had jumped in when she wasn't looking. It was pretty ugly and very traumatic for their whole family.

mljdeckard
November 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
When I was a kid, we had one jump into a flip-top Igloo cooler on the edge of a high porch, knocked it off, flipped the lid shut.......didn't find it until after the fishing trip. :(

rrflyer
November 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
i've got a St. Bernard that absolutely destroys mice.

They run under a endtable...the table gets moved out of the way!

Same with couches, chairs, tables, wood in the pile, tv's, and small bits of wall when shes got to much momentum to stop on the linoleum!

Plus she wont fit in a safe...so Im good there.

f4t9r
November 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
They will go in and if you have one check before closing the door.
You need to keep your cat safe and keep from having a safe cat !!!

Tacbandit
November 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
Quote by frogomatic....
"that's a stupid cat for you, and one more reason on my ever growing list of reasons why I can't stand house cats."

+1, frogo...We're allergic to cats around my house, don't like 'em anyway,
but to each his own...Our rotty doesn't allow any other critters to hang out
around here, anyway. Back to the OP's point...That's a great call. We tend to take so much for granted...We really need to be S-U-R-E of things before we hastily shut, close, spin, or leave it open, etc...I realized this more as our little one began to crawl, then walk...She's an explorer, too...You H-A-V-E to be a step ahead and even then, not take things for granted. Always double check...
Good call krochus......:)

foghornl
November 7, 2008, 01:56 PM
ALWAYS look into the safe, cabinet, garage, etc before closing door.

Don't have a cat now, but yeah...they would poke around in anything that was open. Few years back, was working on a friends computer....Cat did all he could do to get in my tool bag, but bag was too small & cat too big.

RKBABob
November 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
Cat did all he could do to get in my tool bag, but bag was too small & cat too big.
I had plumbers in my house cutting a hole in the wall, and installing a new shower. One of my cats took a liking to them, since they were plumbers and he loves water. He sat himself in their tool bag and watched them cut into the wall with a SawZall, rolled their tools and fittings away, stole faucet parts, and generally "helped" them for 4 hours.. :uhoh:

This, by the way, is that cat that I do not trust with firearms.

damien
November 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't the wife had a fit when she couldn't find the cat? Wouldn't you have had an "a-ha!" moment when you thought about what you had done that day, and checked the safe?

shooter429
November 7, 2008, 03:18 PM
purifying corpse What exactly would be purified? I mean, if the safe is so filthy a putrefying cat corpse would purify it, it might be time for some cleaning :)

Shooter429

Jdude
November 7, 2008, 06:55 PM
I've had my kitten jump into my safe/closet. I felted the floor and he really likes to sit on it. I've locked him in there before.
fortunately I was able to hear his mewing after he decided he did not want to be inside anymore.

Since this has become about pet stories, I am going to share one.

My cat likes to play fetch. When we are not occupied in the game, he brings me assorted things that are suitable for fetch or otherwise fit in his mouth. I have woken to find 5 or 6 crumpled receipts and a few coins on top of me. He has put smallish objects in my shoes. I cannot throw anything away because he will jump into the can to determine if it can be retrieved. I have to set things into the can.

This is another story of mine, posted over at We The Armed. (http://wethearmed.com/)

///Part 1///

My evil attack cat, "Little Bitty Pretty One", tried to claw through the window a few moments ago. This is unusual behavior for my cat. I peeked outside, and didn't see anything. I scooped up my cat, dropped a pistol into my pocket, and stepped outside. As I turned around the corner OH MY GOD THAT IS THE BIGGEST DEER I HAVE EVER SEEN PLEASE DON'T EAT ME I NEED NEW UNDERWEAR. My 4 pound evil attack cat that I was holding in my hands arched his back and hissed very angrily. The deer ran away.

So, a few questions from someone who has never been that close to a deer before.

Are they normally thirty feet tall, or was this one a baby?

The long pointy teeth and red eyes, is that normal?

Was that sound really the cat hissing or me violently soiling my drawers?

I think I am going to stay inside for the rest of the night and think about becoming a vegetarian. That deer scared the hell out of me.

-Jdude
///Part 2///
He's scratching at the window again...

I am going to go hide under my blankets. Man that deer looked big.
///part 3///

I bet that deer is telling his buddies about a 30 foot human with a hissing demon arm, sharp teeth and eyes that shoot fire because I have not seen him or his buddies since.

In the end, my 4 pound cat was the biggest one there. The deer and I were to busy [visiting the toilet] ourselves to do much else.

///end///

You all can keep your dogs. My cat is awesome.

I am trying to teach him to sit now.

Gunnerpalace
November 7, 2008, 07:06 PM
I have a rabbit......Carry on.

Hk91-762mm
November 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
IM SETTING HERE DRINKING WINE ---RED WINE !!!!

My evil attack cat, "Little Bitty Pretty One", tried to claw through the window a few moments ago. This is unusual behavior for my cat. I peeked outside, and didn't see anything. I scooped up my cat, dropped a pistol into my pocket, and stepped outside. As I turned around the corner OH MY GOD THAT IS THE BIGGEST DEER I HAVE EVER SEEN PLEASE DON'T EAT ME I NEED NEW UNDERWEAR. My 4 pound evil attack cat that I was holding in my hands arched his back and hissed very angrily. The deer ran away.

So, a few questions from someone who has never been that close to a deer before.

Are they normally thirty feet tall, or was this one a baby?

The long pointy teeth and red eyes, is that normal?

Was that sound really the cat hissing or me violently soiling my drawers?

I think I am going to stay inside for the rest of the night and think about becoming a vegetarian. That deer scared the hell out of me.

Dude --you owe me a new keyboard --and you have to come over and clean the wall too!!!!!!!!
I have[had] 2 cats Lord Remington and Sir Winchester Both were morriss cats ! what great guys they were..
I have a deer too ====But theres not much left of him !!!

alemonkey
November 7, 2008, 08:25 PM
If I had a cat it wouldn't be in any danger. I open my safe daily to fondle and caress my rifles :)

tpaw
November 7, 2008, 09:26 PM

My daughters have two of the fur balls. I can't stand the hair they leave on chairs and stuff......:fire: Anybody else have that problem? They brush them often but the hair still comes off all over the place......:banghead:

No Fear
November 7, 2008, 10:12 PM
ahead and even then, not take things for granted. Always double check...
.....Thanks a lot everybody,{checks safe} especially Tacbandit, {checks safe}, you've activated my OCD {checks safe}. How am I supposed to get anything {checks safe again} done?

alemonkey
November 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
My daughters have two of the fur balls. I can't stand the hair they leave on chairs and stuff...... Anybody else have that problem? They brush them often but the hair still comes off all over the place...

We used to have a long haired white cat (I hated that thing). My yellow lab sheds at least twice as much as that damn cat. Plus he insists on sitting on the furniture when we're not looking. I still like him better than the cat. Even if he farts a lot.

tpaw
November 7, 2008, 11:50 PM
alemonkey writes:

We used to have a long haired white cat (I hated that thing). My yellow lab sheds at least twice as much as that damn cat. Plus he insists on sitting on the furniture when we're not looking. I still like him better than the cat. Even if he farts a lot.

I'm still laughing!!!!!!! Thanks for the response!!!!!!!!.............:p

Realbigo
November 8, 2008, 12:32 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/WillOyster/KittySniper.jpg
This was the last cat that got in to my safe

RaisedByWolves
November 8, 2008, 01:20 AM
My cat JaXX, deers.

Growls, snarls, tries to launch himself through the galss......

He likes my guns too, Ima teach him how to shoot soon.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3641/dsc02688px2.jpg

xx7grant7x
November 8, 2008, 03:45 AM
Buy more guns.

The cat won't fit.

my thoughts exactly

aquapong
November 8, 2008, 11:52 AM
I accidently shut my cat in a mini fridge when she was a kitten. She was in there overnight and when I finally found her, I thought she was dead. A trip to the vet got her back and acting like kittens should.

Sungun09
November 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
My cat jumped into the dryer as well. fortunately i heard the screams and got her out before any major damage was done

Sepia
November 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
I had a cat that got locked in the dry as well... it actually survived the 30 min swirling hell.

My current cat is 14 years old, cross eye, balding, and almost as smart at a rock, but he loves to play with my rags I use to oil my guns. I think he like the taste of the gun oil and the smell of black powder:)

theotherwaldo
November 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
In the words of Bocephus, "...I'm against cats in the house!"

Kentucky-roughrider
November 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
^+1, but I love them out in the barn. Amen, bro.

nwilliams
November 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
At least the cat is OK:)

I'm a cat person myself:o I think cats and guns rule, I made this a while back, now I get to use it again:cool:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/KittySniper.jpg

Sepia
November 8, 2008, 08:58 PM
+1 to nwilliams!
I hate stepping on landmines left behind by dogs... that just ruins my day every time it happens... Cats always go where you never find it, plus it glows under a black light!!!! Great for parties!

zxcvbob
November 8, 2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.thelesbrarian.com/storage/CatFud.jpg

FourTeeFive
November 8, 2008, 09:11 PM
I love cats, and my little buddy is always hanging around the safe when I open it. I've got to be very careful opening and closing it so I don't cat a paw/tail/head/etc.

If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.

Mark Twain

franconialocal
November 8, 2008, 09:25 PM
I have a cat that MUST check out and attempt to get into ANY size box in the house incl. my gun cabinet, a kleenex box (very funny to watch), whatever. It's quite entertaining to watch......

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun safe, Deadly to pets!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!