Better cheap/accurate 22 bolt action - Marlin or Savage???

PDA

briang2ad
November 7, 2008, 09:16 PM
OK - who makes the better 22 - or at least more accurate for the money?

If you enjoyed reading about "Better cheap/accurate 22 bolt action - Marlin or Savage???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IndianaBoy
November 7, 2008, 09:20 PM
Toss up between the two.

If you want a semi-auto, get the marlin.

Bolt, savage.

Or get a cz and be happier still. :)

woof
November 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'm with Savage. Last spring I bought a Mark II F, the cheap one and before they added the accutrigger, was $114 at WalMart. The trigger still isn't bad, it is well made and shoots way better than $114.

MIL-DOT
November 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
(quote) "If you want a semi-auto, get the marlin.
Bolt, savage.
Or get a cz and be happier still."

Yep, what he said.:D

scythefwd
November 7, 2008, 09:31 PM
Look at a CMP Mossberg 44. With the redfield sights, they can be 1-2 moa at 100y. The Mossy 144 is an even better rifle. But it is a lot more expensive.

Auburn1992
November 7, 2008, 09:35 PM
My cheap .22 savage ($110 from Walmart) will out three roudns into the same hole at 25 yards. This thing is so damned accurate for 100 dollars.

My vote is to savage.

22-rimfire
November 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
Savage based on my experience and recent forum chit chat.

rangerruck
November 7, 2008, 11:57 PM
marlin, all day. I like Savage and have had several, so let me give you my impressions. and this is not for laminated thumbhole stocked versions of either.
The marlin bbl, is better, they have been making them the same lenght , the exact same way, for about 20 years now, and have been making them diff lenghts, for about 80 yrs now, all between 18 and 22 inches.
microgroove rifleing, just going with physics, is easier on the passage of the
22 bullet, less deforming equals better accuracy, espcecially becuase of
more consistency.
We know rimfires can be finicky, Savages tend to bemore so than other 22's, on the ammo that it likes.
routinely you can pull Marlins out of the box, whether it be a 25, 925, 981, mod 60 mod 795, 880sq, 2000l, 7000, and you will say, you just fired the most accurate 22 you have ever had.
Marlin triggers do suck, not a lot of modding can be done to them; however if you stone and smooth the parts a bit, and replace the trigger return spring, you can lower the pull pretty nice.
the savage trigger is better, even the non accutrigger, it can be modded to be much better, even the accutrigger can be modded to be better.
I do like that savages come with scope mounts,
I do like that savages bolts, when you pull them out, appear more massive
than most any other 22 out there, though I don't know that makes any
difference at all.

qajaq59
November 8, 2008, 06:44 AM
Or get a cz and be happier still. My buddy just bought one and he's happy as can be.

woof
November 8, 2008, 07:31 AM
No question the CZ is better but the OP said cheap/accurate.

IndianaBoy
November 8, 2008, 07:43 AM
Under 300 dollars isn't bad. I didn't suggest Anschutz! :)

marriedguy1
November 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have no comment on the original post, but i got a CZ 452 scout for my daughter and man is that thing sweeeeeeeet. She does not get to shoot it as much as I do.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, it's a toss-up. But in my view the Marlins have slightly superior looks/fit/finish, and equal accuracy, so they are the better value. But Savages *may* have slightly better accuracy on average (the one YOU get may or may not be, since we're talking about splitting hairs here). Bottom line, just pick one.

benzy2
November 9, 2008, 08:19 PM
Of what I have tried the Marlins seem to ever so slightly shoot better, but it is only after the trigger is replaced. I hate the trigger that comes on the Marlin rimfires. If I wasn't to put another dime into the rifle I would get the Savage. If I was willing to buy a new trigger I would go Marlin. They both shoot pretty darn good though for the price.

jtedescucci
November 9, 2008, 08:56 PM
Anschutz 22s are under $300 now?!! Dang, I gotta get one.

FredT

IndianaBoy
November 9, 2008, 09:35 PM
No, Anschutz rifles are not under 3 bills. You misread the post just a bit. ;)

Brad Clodfelter
November 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Savage will out shoot the Marlin. The Savage barrels are just plain better than the Marlin.

The Savage Mark II rifles will clearly out shoot the Marlin bolt action 22's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Better cheap/accurate 22 bolt action - Marlin or Savage???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!