40 round AR mags?

PDA

marktx
November 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
Anybody have experience with them? I see steel 40 rounders for a reasonable price and am tempted to buy, can't determine the manufacture but they seem to be well made. They aren't PMAGs but how bad could they be?

If you enjoyed reading about "40 round AR mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HorseSoldier
November 7, 2008, 10:36 PM
They aren't PMAGs but how bad could they be?

Could be unusable junk.

I don't have any experience with 40 round AR mags, which may be 100% good to go, but have used truly bad mags for different weapons before and when they're bad, they're really worse than useless.

Darthbauer
November 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
If you cant hit what your aiming at with 30 rounds, I dont think your going to do it with 10 more.

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've heard a lot of three gun types like them for gaming.

marktx
November 7, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm a little bit leery of them just because none of the well known manufactures like Magpul, C, Thermold or whoever are making 40 round mags. I think the Steyr AUG and HK93 used 40 round mags but none of the others used anything over 30 which makes me wonder if they are fundamentally unreliable. If there are three gun match types using 40 rounders I would be interested to know what brand they might be.

If you cant hit what your aiming at with 30 rounds, I dont think your going to do it with 10 more.

By that logic a two or three round mag in a bolt action is all anyone needs, thank goodness we aren't reduced to that.

RockyMtnTactical
November 8, 2008, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't mess with the 40 rounders, they don't tend to be all that reliable...

Stick with good 30's made by Magpul or D&H (and other USGI brands).

Prince Yamato
November 8, 2008, 12:08 PM
Bushmaster sells them, how bad can they be?

MIL-DOT
November 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have an old steel one I traded from a buddy years ago, then recently put a mag-pul follower in it. The little i've used it, it's been fine. From what I've read though, there was a good quality 40-rounder made in England years ago,and the rest ( like mine) are supposedly less than reliable,though adding the mag-pul follower is supposed to fix them up a bit.

moooose102
November 8, 2008, 03:12 PM
Whats the matter, havent you ever heard of duct tape (2 30 rounders together)!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 8, 2008, 03:22 PM
I read about taping them, then the article went on to say how if you are prone position and resting the magazines on the ground, a rock, or what have you, and you bend the ears on that bottom magazine, you would have been better leaving the darn 30 rounders alone and just using them singly!:cuss:

Hey, you can always buy a bandolier to wear across your chest -- for when the Iranians are invading our streets!

Like, when we were kids small game hunting with three belts of shotgun shells (75 total) around our shoulders and waist.

I think we had more fun shooting up everything in site that was non-game than we did GAME!

No wonder there never was any game, we SCARED IT ALL AWAY!

ROFL!

Really.

Gunnerpalace
November 8, 2008, 05:50 PM
So people who use over 30rds are mall ninja's.........

Jerry Miculek uses over 30rdnrs in competition. He was using some huge mag in the "Sharpshooters" special,

After all no honest man needs over 5 rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "40 round AR mags?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!