Blooper loads this morning

PDA

627PCFan
November 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
Looking for a little load comparison help here. I loaded 25 3" fiocchi hulls(616)'s with 23 grains of Long shot, 3inch tps wad,1 1/4oz Hevishot and a roll crimp (felt wads and buffer). This morning I was 3 bloopers for 3 shells on the only Wood duck I saw all morning. Manual calls for 23 grains but this seems to be very light considering I used 32.3grains for 1 5/8 oz loads in 3 1/2 shells a while ago. Manual mistake maybe? There was massive unburned powder in the barrel after the 3 shells. The longshot looks good, smells fine and the primer should be hot enough to light it off

If you enjoyed reading about "Blooper loads this morning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 8, 2008, 01:05 PM
Dyslectic proof-reader maybe?

32 grains sounds more better then 23 grains.

I just looked at Hodgdons website and they are showing over 30 grains Longshot in some 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz lead shot loads.

I believe I'd give Hodgdon a call Monday and see what they have to say.

Galil5.56
November 8, 2008, 01:10 PM
23 grains of Longshot... Boy that seems extremely light/misprint considering that propellants speed. For decades I have used 24 or so grains of Unique for 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz loads in polyformed cases, with rated pressures around 10,000 psi and 1200 fps-ish velocities. Being that Unique is a much faster propellant, and the case is a lot shorter, your bloopers seem appropriate with what you have written.

Any chance you got something out of whack? If not, I would think HS-6 would be a much better choice if you want to stick with Hodgdon. Good luck.

627PCFan
November 8, 2008, 03:02 PM
Double checked it a minute ago, and it is in the manual. Guess Ill give BP a call and let them know. Thanks guys-

If you enjoyed reading about "Blooper loads this morning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!