Paranoia or preparation?

PDA

Dave Workman
November 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
This is a survey. Short answers please. NO THREAD DRIFT, please.

For the past four days, I've been monitoring gun forums and gun sales.

There is a lot of buying going on
There is a lot of talking (some of it easy chair bluster, of course) going on.

The question is simple:

Do you consider all the buying right now "Paranoia" or "Preparation?"

(both terms should be self explanatory, and if not, just use your imagination)

Try to keep responses to 25-50 words, correctly spelled please.

In the event the thread gets locked (can't imagine why): Post me off-list at:

davew@liberty.seanet.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Paranoia or preparation?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Just Jim
November 8, 2008, 01:11 PM
Neither, people just want things before they get too exspensive. Leading questions are not nice......

jj

rugerfreak
November 8, 2008, 01:12 PM
delete

Just Jim
November 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
You are leading people to say things that can be used against them and this forum, not a good idea.

jj

CRITGIT
November 8, 2008, 01:36 PM
I doubt it really goes as far as paranoia but it's certainly insecurity.
It's not unusual for folks to be afraid of what they don't understand however it can be extremely dangerous.

CRITGIT

Just Jim
November 8, 2008, 01:42 PM
It's not unusual for folks to be afraid of what they don't understand however it can be extremely dangerous.

CRITGIT

I think the people have a great understanding of the situation. Why else would people spend so much money to buy stuff when the economy is going to tank bigtime???

jj

Treo
November 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
I think paranoia or preperation depends on the individual doing the buying. I've not bought a single gun behind this election but I am snapping up magazines, ammunition and looking into reloading.

Also I don't see this as a leading question.

Just Jim
November 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think paranoia or preperation depends on the individual doing the buying. I've not bought a single gun behind this election but I am snapping up magazines, ammunition and looking into reloading.

Also I don't see this as a leading question.

Hi Treo,

It is a leading question that will get the unthinking to say things that can be used against them and this forum. Guy says he is buying in preperation for the revolution and automaticly it is information that could be used in a court of law.

Better read those 4473s when they ask if you are buying guns for what purpose. If you buy a gun after making a civil war statement and deny it on the form it may be a felony???

jj

DaveBeal
November 8, 2008, 02:00 PM

I don't think any one factor explains all currrent buying, but I do think that many folks on this forum are greatly overestimating the threat posed to gun ownership by the Obama administration.

Just Jim
November 8, 2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think any one factor explains all currrent buying, but I do think that many folks on this forum are greatly overestimating the threat posed to gun ownership by the Obama administration.

Biden wrote the AWB. Imanual was Clintons guy in charge. BHO has a history of gun controls. If it walks like a duck and....

jj

DoubleTapDrew
November 8, 2008, 02:14 PM
We won't know for a few years. Right now it's paranoia, and hopefully that's all it will be. If they pass laws restricting any of these things and they get prohibitively expensive or unavailable, then it turns out it was preparation (and I'm referring to a cost/availability standpoint. Not preparation for anything illegal).
Paranoia is definitely annoying. Can't get things you'd like because everyone is sold out. Price skyrockets on the next shipment because people will still pay it. :banghead:

Officers'Wife
November 8, 2008, 02:29 PM
Perhaps neither, simply seeing the increase of prices after the first AWB and preparing for rise if another is passed. Third choice- financial speculation.

Selena

distra
November 8, 2008, 02:47 PM
Both, we are paranoid about having a new AWB and we are preparing for it. It is just that simple. No more, no less.

makarovnik
November 8, 2008, 02:54 PM
It's both and the gun shops are loving it. In some places gun prices are out of control. I won't fall for it. I'll wait until everyone comes to their senses and gun prices come down again. Of course prices will stay high as long as people are willing to pay ridiculous prices.

I'm about ready to start up the mill and lathe and make my own.

jakemccoy
November 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
The current state of affairs is a good excuse for a gun owner to buy all the things the gun owner wanted to buy anyway. A gun enthusiast doesn't normally need an excuse to buy what the gun enthusiast wants. However, now, there's a legitimate reason to buy. So, motivation is thrown into the mix where motivation isn't even needed. Boom, sales go up. I highly doubt anybody except a gun enthusiast is stockpiling.

Officers'Wife
November 8, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hi makarovnik,

Just be sure that you contact the BATF and get the appropriate licenses. Then, of course, most states also have regulations on the manufacturing of firearms and firearms parts and a few actually require permits and accounting. Then you need to research the local codes to make sure you aren't violating any zoning laws or your county sheriff's sensitivities. With luck you should be able to obtain all the relevant licenses, permits and permissions in time to donate to Obama's second election campaign. Do not expect to have any luck.

Selena

browningguy
November 8, 2008, 05:54 PM

What's not to understand, my prediction is within 6 months a renewal of the AWB, additional taxes on ammunition and/or firearms to drive the prices out of reach, 1 year a start on a complete ban of certain semiautos and attempt to ban handguns without smart technology (to protect the children you know). Just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you.

The dem's have a firm majority on both houses, and I doubt we can rely on the republicans to filibuster every bill relating to reducing our 2nd amendment rights.

hso
November 8, 2008, 06:23 PM

(both terms should be self explanatory, and if not, just use your imagination)

No, the terms are not "self explanatory" and if you want any meaningful responses the members shouldn't have to use their imaginations to fill in the blanks.

Rephrase the question in a meaningful manner. Paranoia about what? Unreasonably fearful of an AWB? When that might be anticipated is pretty critical in knowing whether the fears of an AWB are reasonable or not right now. Preparation for what? Preparing for an inevitable AWB? Again, when determines whether that AWB is expected and when it is expected determines whether the rush is preparing or not.

You should rephrase the question in a meaningful manner and repost it.

sd
November 8, 2008, 07:26 PM
preparation.

prices are not going to go down.

political environment will not be favorable for a long time. liberal president, liberal house, liberal senate, soon to be liberal court.
in-fighting among conservatives, in-fighting even among gun owners. fuds, profiteering, paranoia vs. prep,ect.
tell me you don't see ammo prices increasing? don't see AWB, hi-cap mag ban, ect. ?

plinky
November 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I think that paranoia is ruled out by Obama's stated goal on his website that he wants to enact a permanant AWB. That and the fact that he has a majority in both Houses. He will do whatever he wants either sooner or later. Soon is two months, later is well inside of four years.

I don't mean to spur the panic buying but I doubt the conditions are going to get much better. I haven't bought anything new and doubt I will. Anyone who is hoarding is creating high prices and shortages.

If I stock up on anything, it will be some reloading goods for longterm security.

Dave Workman
November 8, 2008, 08:12 PM
Rephrase the question in a meaningful manner. Paranoia about what? Unreasonably fearful of an AWB? When that might be anticipated is pretty critical in knowing whether the fears of an AWB are reasonable or not right now. Preparation for what? Preparing for an inevitable AWB? Again, when determines whether that AWB is expected and when it is expected determines whether the rush is preparing or not.

You should rephrase the question in a meaningful manner and repost it.

Oh, I dunno. I seem to be doing just fine with the question the way it is.

benEzra
November 8, 2008, 08:23 PM
Neither. "Precaution" would be a better word, IMO.

I am not buying a whole lot, but I am planning to go ahead and thread the barrel of my SAR-1 just on the off chance that a new AWB gets passed. I was burned badly by the original 1994 Feinstein law, when I put off the purchase of a folding stock for my mini-14 due to financial reasons in mid-1994 and then had to wait 10 years (until October '04) to get one, due to the passage of the 1994 Feinstein law. And my wife paid $100+ for a single Glock 19 magazine circa 1996 because I lacked the foresight to buy a couple in 1994.

It is not "paranoia" to want to avoid getting burned like that again, even if the passage of a new ban is unlikely.

Nor is it really "preparation," because I am not expecting anything to happen. I am just being prudent, IMO.

Sepia
November 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
I have to agree with benEzra that its a precaution. While its unlikely that within the first 4 years he will try any drastic measures towards a new ban, since he will be trying to get elected to another 4 years, it is a precaution that people are wanting to take just encase he does.

Walkalong
November 9, 2008, 09:27 AM
Paranoid preparation. ;)

hso made an excellent point. You would get better answers if you were more clear.

Paranoid about what?

Preparing for what?

jpatterson
November 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think (rather hope) that it is just paranoia. I hope that all THR members will be able to look back on our Nov. 4th freak-out as another "Y2K world collapse" purchase.

Yo Mama
November 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
If you look at it, Bush said he would sign a AWB, and I doubt he would have gone to bat for 2nd ammendement rights.

So what, now we have a few more dems in congress, doesn't change that it would have been signed.

The President is only able to sign what they get, so I'd focus more on your local districts, and ensure now, RIGHT NOW, that they will fight for your rights.

The Janitor
November 9, 2008, 09:47 AM
Fact of the matter is people don't really know what the hell BO is going to do. Not sure if I'd call it paranoia, as thats a bit extreme. Preparation makes it sound like you're expecting trouble.

I think for the most part, it's simply a motive of 'just-in-case-ism', and a bit of people having another 'reason' to get something they wanted in the first place.

harmonic
November 9, 2008, 10:06 AM
People are panicking because of misinformation. My mother in law came to visit and announced, "If you want a handgun you better buy it now because you're not going to be able to buy guns after the new president gets in."

Lemme tell you something. This guy was a senator from Illinois. That's not the same thing as a president of the United States. There are a fair number of 2nd Amendment democrats in Congress. There are still a fair number of Republicans in Congress.

There are also 100 million guns/gun owning households in America. That's a lot of people to tick off. Politicians know this.

I was living in Tennessee when Al Gore was running for president. You would have to have been living there to know what a "golden boy" he was to Tennesseeans. But then he made the statement that no American home has any business owning a 9mm. He lost his home state, and no president has ever been elected who didn't carry his home state. My observation was that his antigun position was about 60% of the reason he lost Tennessee. Politicians are very aware of this. (Actually, we need to remind them, all of them, of this. Write letters, people.)

The mighty 'O' can't arbitrarily eliminate firearms. The people of the United States are not like the sheeple of Chicago. Don't forget, we also have the Heller decision on our side.

Will he try to pass some more restrictive laws? Probably. But they've been trying to do that since forever. That's just a fact of political life in America and it's certainly not worth panicking over.

rbernie
November 9, 2008, 10:11 AM
Panic implies that there is no thought process driving the purchasing; preparation implies some modicum of thought.

I've been in three separate gun shops in the last three days, chatting with the owners and customers. All told, I probably spent about five (5) hours browsing and listening. People are buying because they're preparing, not because they're in a blind lather.

They may have misconstrued the timing or the likelihood of a ban, but they clearly expect some action and are willing to prepare for it. I see no harm in that, despite all the foaming at the mouth that this spike in interest seems to be generating.

GeezerwithGuns
November 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
Am I paranoid? No, I don't think so, but I am buying firearms and ammunition at a faster rate than I normally do purely from an availability and economic perspective. An anti might call this "paranoid" behavior, but I don't give a hoot what they think. :D

Guns are a much better "investment" right now than anything the stock market has to offer. :neener:

krs
November 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
Is it true that he's appointed Angela Davis to be Attorney General?

crushbup
November 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
Paranoid preparation.

XD-40 Shooter
November 9, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm not paranoid, but I am glad that I have plenty of powder, primers, and bullets for loading my 40 S&W rounds. I'm also well stocked on ammo for 7.62x39, 22 LR, 22 mag, 38 spl, and 357 mag. All it takes to ban the importation of Wolf ammo is an executive order, I won't be surprised if that happens.

It took Clinton 18 months to get around to an AWB when he was president, Obama will be dealing far more pressing issues when he takes office. I think we will have a year of breathing room here, when Obama does bring up an AWB, it will be a tough political fight that will probably take months. I'm hoping there are enough Democrats like Jim Webb, that will tell Reid/Pelosi to pound sand.:)

I have a feeling that primers will be very scarce over the next 6 months or so, same goes for hi-cap mags.

Dave Workman
November 9, 2008, 11:24 AM
rbernie wrote:
I've been in three separate gun shops in the last three days, chatting with the owners and customers. All told, I probably spent about five (5) hours browsing and listening. People are buying because they're preparing, not because they're in a blind lather.

Okay, I guess this is the one I've been waiting for. Not that I want to put YOU on the spot, but the question arises:

"preparing" for what?

==============
I think what generated the original query is that part of my job is to sort of monitor what's being said on some of the other forums and chat lists.

I've seen no small amount of chest-thumping rhetoric regarding what a lot of these folks will do [yeah, right, seeing is believing here :D ] if the "Obamunists" come after the guns.

We have a different group here. Your feedback and observations are valuable to me.

Keep this thread going. Don't let this stop anything.

Again: "preparing" for what?

Dave Workman
November 9, 2008, 11:28 AM
It took Clinton 18 months to get around to an AWB when he was president,

That's not quite accurate. It took that long to get it passed, but they were working on it almost right out of the gate, even before any legislation was crafted and submitted.

And trust me on this, Obama's new Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, was point man on that effort.

This isn't meant to sound any alarm or carry this discussion off track, but those are the facts.

Please return to the original discussion: Paranoia or Preparation?

wyocarp
November 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
I do think that many folks on this forum are greatly overestimating the threat posed to gun ownership by the Obama administration.

Anyone who thinks that probably voted for the sob.

I think it is both, but I wish that all those who are buying now would have been buying all along instead of racing out the day and week after the election. He won't even be in a position to do anything for months and I doubt he is going to start his first day in office with a total ban on imported guns. I'm sure he values his future job and life a little more than that. It could happen early in his term, but early in his first day?

22-rimfire
November 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
Dave, you writing a piece on this? Sure you want to?

My guess.... "Both and a few things you didn't list". Just like a SHTF kit, you need the tools and equipment. Can't shoot if you don't have a firearm.

rbernie
November 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
"preparing" for what?Like most preparations, it's preparing for the unknown.

I buy car insurance. I do not know HOW my car will be damaged, or WHEN. But, living in the DFW metroplex as I do, it's a fair bet that at some time in the life of my car it will be damaged and require repairs. It may be hail. It may be a parking lot mistake. It may be smacked broadside by a red light runner. I don't know.

But I do know that it is prudent to have insurance.

That's pretty much what I'm hearing. Nobody has a clearly articulate vision of WHEN and HOW. But they dang sure smell smoke in the wind, and want to be IBTL.

BHO scares gun people. Biden scares them even more.

Dave Workman
November 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dave, you writing a piece on this? Sure you want to?

Hmmmm. Don't know that I am, not sure why I wouldn't want to. It's an interesting subject, you know.

lloydkristmas
November 9, 2008, 08:13 PM
I bought a semi automatic rifle because its something Ive always wanted (and owned before, but sold off). I figure that, one, prices are gonna go up no matter what, so I should buy sooner than later. Two, if some piece of legislation does come through, Id like to already own the guns I've always had my heart set on. Id hate to look back and say if only I'd acted a couple years earlier, I could own the cool stuff Ive always wanted. I knew I was going to drop the $$ on a rifle some time in the near future, so why not now?

As far as 'preparation' or 'paranoia'? I think gun laws are inevitably going to get tighter. I dont think that it will necessarily happen right away. But, like I said, I'd rather have my ideal collection now, than bank on the fact that I can build it later on.

Nothing I have purchased in the recent 'frenzy' has been based on that "oh man if something heavy goes down, maybe I'll need to be armed" mentality that seems to be fueling gun purchases recently, especially among new gun owners. Up until now, I've had enough firearms to accomplish most any purpose, and even if I wasnt able to buy the semiautomatic rifle that I recently did, I wouldnt feel any less "prepared" than I do now.

esmith
November 9, 2008, 08:18 PM

CRITGIT

So i shouldn't fear an Obama led nation that wants to limit my ability to own guns? The 2nd Amendment is what ensures all the others, when people want to refute it, i raise my head. I don't fear for things i do not understand, i fear for what i do understand, and that is Obama.

inSight-NEO
November 9, 2008, 11:09 PM
Id say, cautiously, it basically boils down to paranoia. I myself have fallen prey to this. However, as stated before, I dont believe anybody can truly predict the way things will go. But, lets face it...most have been here before. Hopefully, as before, things will smooth over and end on a relatively positive note. I am hoping that the very notion of stiff weapon regulations concerning law abiding citizens, mixed with the fantasy of taking weapons out of the hands of criminals, will prove futile at best. Who really knows?
Either way, and boy I hope Im right here, I liken this stuff to the 2000 switch. Everyone was sure that disaster would strike because of the possibility of computer controlled devices failing due to being "unprepared" for the year 2000. Anarchy, chaos, confusion and fear were the buzzwords of the day back then. Everything turned out ok. Hopefully this is another such occasion. A rather blunt comparison maybe, but you get the point.

22-rimfire
November 10, 2008, 09:14 AM
Dave, if you do put together an article on this subject, I know many here would love to have a link to it and have it posted after it is published. You do live up in Obama land.

It IS an interesting subject, ya know!

scotjute
November 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
Avoidance is the proper term to use for me. Believe taxes are going to go up on everything, particularly on things Obama frowns on. I can estimate how much shooting I will be doing the next 8 yrs. and am buying the ammo now before taxes send the prices skyrocketing.

Mike2
November 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
I lean more toward hedging against inflation and also for my children who may not have the opportunity to purchase a weapon in the future.

HoosierQ
November 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
Some people are making accelerated purchases just because others are. I mean, I'd hate to set off for the range and find my caliber sold out at the local retailer...end of range day. People waited for hours in line to buy gas on 09/11/2001 just...because. I got in line, not because I was afraid but because I was on "E".

I too am concerned about "preparation" as a choice. Prepare for a shortage of rounds on range day because of a lot of purchasing draining inventory? Sure. The end of the world or Libery or whatever...I really don't think so.

ABC news did a spot on all this purchasing going on. For the MSM, they showed a bit of restraint by saying the rush was on because people feared a future ban. However, we all know the anti's are scared to death of that kind of stuff. They think we are all gearing up for some sort of revolution or something.

So, I have made a few discretionary purchases because I wish to beat the rush. I think we are going to be OK.

Elgin47
November 10, 2008, 11:41 PM
There are far too many verifiable instances of Obama clearly stating his feelings about firearms and the right - or absence thereof - to own same. Again provably, prior to the campaign there was no ambivalence or equivocation in any statement or comment he made about guns, concealed carry, or the 2nd Amendment. Except for the campaign period, he has been unswervingly consistent in his opposition to gun ownership.

Why, then, would one expect him to abandon his anti-gun position when he's finally in a position to craft, encourage Congress to enact and the Attorney General to enforce laws that would accomplish something he has always claimed to be a worthy goal?

Biden has voted to ban "armor piercing" ammunition, which, based on the velocity and energy criteria used to define such ammunition would include 95% of all hunting ammo currently in use. Should we also gamble that he will somehow have a change of heart now that he can impose those beliefs on us?

Granted, there are a number of Dems who are believe in 2nd Amendment rights, but again to task and/or entrust them with the sole responsibility of protecting our rights to own firearms is a little risky, it seems to me - if for no other reason that the likelihood of 2-3 Supreme Court resignations during Obama's term of office is extremely high, if not certain. Hillary and Chuck Schumer come to mind - does that mix sound like the same gun friendly court that handed down the Heller decision?

So, buying more guns and ammo might well be neither paranoia nor preparation, but rather a reasonable response to a perceived threat. Whether or not that perception morphs into reality remains to be seen, but I'm erring on the side of caution. If at the end of the day I've overreacted, then so be it - as long as I'm not screaming "fire" in the theater I don't see the downside.

JMHO

Logan5
November 11, 2008, 12:02 AM
Fair enough, but Obama and Biden aren't in office yet. Right at this moment, retailers are in a position to be pretty merciless to sellers and buyers, in the sense that if what you have are custom double guns or Weatherbys, and what you want are AR's and PS90's, you are going to get nailed coming and going.
I've seen $1000 price differentials on the same model Colt AR between shops in the same state. Nothing has happened to make a $1500 AR into a $2500 AR overnight. This suggests to me that customers are buying regardless. I'm not going to call that "panic", but it's not smart. It's buying and selling based on what is probably mostly emotionally colored speculation as to what might happen next with markets and legislation. Producers who are selling product like hotcakes are going to ramp up production, and may well flood the market, at which point we'll see an ugly black rifle crash. My plan is to sock money away for that point. ;)

CRITGIT
November 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
So i shouldn't fear an Obama led nation that wants to limit my ability to own guns? The 2nd Amendment is what ensures all the others, when people want to refute it, i raise my head. I don't fear for things i do not understand, i fear for what i do understand, and that is Obama.

You just condemned a guy who hasn't as much as taken the oath yet.
This while you most likely supported a guy who has effectively destroyed just about everything he touched!:D
Anyone who claims they know what the Pres Elect will do and never were outraged by the misdeeds of the existing crew probably has little credibility.
Your weapons can be taken right now under GWB's Military Comm Act 2006 and probably under the Pat Act as well.... yet, no concern. :confused:Hmmm! Kinda leads one to think it's about party and not guns.
Besides have a little faith in your fellow Americans and the Constitution.
Too much hate can only shorten one's lifespan.:D

Good Shooting!

CRITGIT

Elgin47
November 11, 2008, 12:29 AM
Good points and probably a good plan, Logan5 - I'm not buying tacticool or "black" stuff (which I have absolutely nothing against, I'm just putting my money elsewhere for the moment) so I'm not seeing the price gouging that's undoubtedly taking place on that type of equipment.

On the other hand it's their money, it's none of my business, and who knows?

RKBABob
November 11, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'm paranoid... or at least thats what everybody says about me when I'm not listening. :scrutiny:

But I haven't rushed out to buy an :evil:Evil Black Rifle:evil:TM...
I've never had a need for one before, so why would I suddenly have a need for one now?

Hey, maybe I should start hoarding revolvers...
they'll really be worth BIG $$$ once semi-auto pistols are made totally illegal! :neener:

#shooter
November 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
they'll really be worth BIG $$$ once semi-auto pistols are made totally illegal!
Or if they make microstamping legal.:(

I say it is preparation vs higher prices. They want to get a good price in case of a future ban. All of a sudden someone unwilling to pay MSRP will now pay +500 over MSRP and want this either for themselves or as an investment. Keep in mind the full auto stuff skyrocketed after its manufacturing ban. A $500 mac-10 now goes for $3-5K, they may expect EBRs to do the same.

rbernie
November 11, 2008, 08:56 AM
Your weapons can be taken right now under GWB's Military Comm Act 2006 and probably under the Pat Act as well.... yet, no concern. Hmmm! Kinda leads one to think it's about party and not guns.
You certainly are correct that all of the current politicos are statists - those who believe that the state has the right and obligation to tell you what you CAN do. Bush, McCain, and nObama all fall into that category, and from that perspective we can throw rocks at any of them with regard to their (NOT) safeguarding what we belive to be our essential freedoms.

The difference between Shrub (or McCain) and nObama is that neither McCain nor Shrub were ever a Director of the Joyce Foundation, never stated that concealed carry should be illegal, never attempted to restrict handgun purchases to one per month, never attempted to ban hunting rifle ammunition, and never stated a need to end all face-to-face firearm sales.

nObama did.

That is why people are scared, and are reacting accordingly.

expvideo
November 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Treo,

It is a leading question that will get the unthinking to say things that can be used against them and this forum. Guy says he is buying in preperation for the revolution and automaticly it is information that could be used in a court of law.

Better read those 4473s when they ask if you are buying guns for what purpose. If you buy a gun after making a civil war statement and deny it on the form it may be a felony???

jj

Do you know who Dave Workman is? Do a google search before you start accusing one of the leading advocates for gun rights in WA state of trying to make gun owners look bad.

Deanimator
November 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'm shopping for a nickel plated M1911 in .38 Super. Not because of anything except a desire to have one as a fancy CCW gun.

expvideo
November 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
I want to eventually have an AR-15. Since their future looks unpredictable, I think it's best to buy it now, so I'm doing just that. It's not in preparation for a war or anything. I suppose it is a paranoia that I will not be able to buy it in the future, but I was going to buy it anyway. I guess to answer your question, I'm buying it because I want it, but I'm buying it now because I'm paranoid about Obama.

catfish101
November 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
I have talked to several people at the stores and they are buying because of a tax increase that is most likely going to happen. I haven't seen any price hikes around the places I have gone. I am sure it is happening.

I will admit that I have picked up a few pieces because of the tax issue. I would have gotten them latter but I got a few good deals and went ahead and bought. I put an black S&W on law-away myself. It was priced right.

Ironic that there are probably twice the AR's in the publics hands because of the bans than would have been otherwise.

The Brady people should take the Clintons and Sen. Obama of their Christmas card list.

Water-Man
November 11, 2008, 09:44 AM
Paranoia.

X-Rap
November 11, 2008, 09:51 AM
If you were a smoker and you knew that in 2 months all the anti tobacco lawyers in washington were going to take over the majority of two branches of government what would you do?
The answer is simple because you could bank on them either outlawing smokes or taxing them beyond most peoples budget.
No matter what noble endevors some of you believe Dear Leader will undertake attacking guns will certainly be on that list.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 11, 2008, 12:11 PM
The answer, obviously, is both - the question is, In what proportion?

I say 30% preparation, 70% paranoia (i.e. 70% chance that no gun or ammo bans or taxes will be forthcoming on the federal level in the next 4 years). 30% is a very statistically significant number, and way too much risk to sit idly by, so the 30% preparation means we are 100% justified in so preparing. IMO.

hso
November 11, 2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/11/obama.gun.sales/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Crashola
November 11, 2008, 06:25 PM
I guess I'm taking a contrarian short-term view. All of this crazy demand for ARs will hopefully result in a big ramp-up in production. Then, when we find out the sky is not falling, I expect a big surplus of ARs sitting on shelves. That's when I pull out my checkbook . . .

Of course, I may be wrong and I will end up paying big bucks for a pre-ban (version 2) AR sometime down the road. But that's a gamble I'm willing to take.

lionking
November 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'd like to ask,those that are paying inflated prices right now buying 5 AR's and 5 AK's and 5000 rounds of ammo are you doing this so you can go to the range like you do now and shoot as much as you like with the gun that you like or will you have those 5 AR's and 5 AK"s as safe queens for the next ten years and that 5000 rounds of ammo as storage ammo if they ban them?

Explorer1
November 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
I bought my first "assualt weapon" after Daddy Bushed banned the import of certain models - have never looked back. Don't have a large inventory but have enjoyed the HK, Min-14, Mini-30, the many ARs....

Today its a commodity market! I call it preparedness, maybe not for the big disaster but at least for that next great trade.

Hey, the man said he would stimulate the economy. He accomplised that overnight!

crazy-mp
November 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
I cant speak for everyone but I am buying up what I can for one reason, the prices are not going down even though the price of copper and lead has dropped some from the beginning of the year. This surge is only going to make the ammo more expensive, reloading supplies are drying up too!

Going from bad to worse will be a change!!

Seenterman
November 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
Its prudent to stock up on ammo, mags, and purchase a rifle or other firearm you've been wanting that might be banned to get it in your house before the lock. LoL

It crosses over into paranoia if you just spend your life savings or over spent your means on firearm supplies.

22-rimfire
November 12, 2008, 05:08 PM
I think that those that defend Obama here need to understand that when you vote, you vote for the MAN (or woman) and what they say during the campaign doesn't mean squat after they are sworn in unless they choose to try to implement some of the campaign promises. You have heard it before.... things change. You'll hear it again. George Bush did not know that the terrible attack on 9/11 was going to happen. Things change. What did we get? We got the Patriot Act and pain in butt security at airports. With Obama's history as limited as it is, you can expect gun control legislation to move to his desk with the general support of the Democratic party. Count on that!

To be consitant with this thread, I believe the present buying is primarily paranoia and not preparedness. I was already prepared. For what? I have no idea. I guess I was prepared to be able to conduct and enjoy my shooting sports for the rest of my life.

edSky
November 12, 2008, 05:18 PM
Both, and neither at the same time. Paranoia over our rights being diminished. And preparation to be able to hold on to tools to protect my family, my country, and myself. And with the economy in the doldrums, I actually started my paranoid preparations a while ago, figuring that prices would go up due to inflation. That was before the E (election) HTF.

If you enjoyed reading about "Paranoia or preparation?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!