What happens if you shoot a bed sheet?

PDA

vanguard
November 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
I have this friend that I go camping with and he always brings these unbelievable "campfire facts" that he has full faith in. I, being the computer nerd that I am, go home and research them to see how he does.

For example:

W is sometimes a vowel - true
Mountain Dew is the highest selling soft drink - false
The melting point of aluminum is 1200 degrees - true

His latest is that you can't shoot through a bed sheet. He maintains that the sheet will give, wrap around the bullet, and capture it. I doubt it, I think even a 9mm pistol round will shoot right through it. Google hasn't been helpful, does anybody know the answer for sure?

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens if you shoot a bed sheet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
November 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
I suggest you try it, but insist that HE provide the sheet!

ericyp
November 8, 2008, 10:30 PM
I haven't shot a bedsheet with a firearm, but I've tried using them as a pellet catch and I know a pellet gun will go right through them... I would think anything going at a decent velocity will go right through it.

Central FL Mike
November 8, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you shoot a bedsheet you have to mount it. Club rules.

SteelyNirvana
November 8, 2008, 10:38 PM
I was bored and my mind was wondering one night a few months ago and I had the idea to do a bit of in-home ballistic testing. I purposely fired an Agularia super colbri .22 from my 6" rough rider into a thick bath towel folded over several times, just to see what it would do. It almost penetrated the first layer and had began to on the second. If a .22 with just the priming mixture will do this to a thick bath towel I'm sure any center fire cartridge would penetrate a thin bed sheet.

taliv
November 8, 2008, 10:40 PM
both of you need to check yourselves into mental hospitals for even asking. if a sheet could catch a bullet, then every indoor range in the country would hang sheets up and collect and reuse these bullets instead of paying tens of thousands for expensive backstops and EPA fees for cleanup. where do people come up with this stuff??

Gunfighter123
Sheets bullet proof ??? NOT TRUE -- I heard thats why the KKK quit wearing them !!!

PS ---- just a joke , don't freak out about it !!!

franconialocal
C'mon....tell your buddy to get real!! I SUPPOSE MAYBE if the bullet has dumped enough of it's terminal velocity, speed, etc. by the time it gets there then yes, but this sounds like a really lame urban legend. If this truly were the case then why do I have to wear this uncomfortable ballistic vest to work every day made of kevlar with a seperate trauma plate when I could just come to work looking like I'm ready for a toga party? Yeah....I'm sure the Chief would love that. :banghead: At the academy I remember shooting at old t-shirts and, regardless of the caliber, it went right through even at distance.

TAB
November 8, 2008, 10:42 PM
no, but when hung from the top they will stop lower powered arrows( think the kind that little kids shoot)

rokclmb
November 8, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sounds like something for Mythbusters!

f4t9r
November 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
If you shoot a bedsheet you have to mount it.

I have a Satin and a Cotton mounted

tunnug
November 8, 2008, 10:50 PM
I believe he might be confusing the sheet thing, the one I have heard is that a silk sheet/hankershief will slide around a bullet fired into it, if it's held only by the top corners letting it hang free------I've never had the desire to see if it's true.

JeffDilla
November 8, 2008, 10:54 PM
You'll wake someone up?:uhoh:

Sorry, couldn't resist
It was lame, I know.

BubbaX
November 8, 2008, 10:55 PM
Huh? :banghead: How can anyone even entertain this idiotic suggestion? If you even for one second think this might be plausible you shouldn't be handling firearms.

Gun Slinger
November 8, 2008, 10:57 PM

Is he wearing it?

Larry Ashcraft
November 8, 2008, 11:03 PM

The bullet won't slow down one whit as it goes through. Where do people get these ideas? :rolleyes:

vanguard
November 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
I don't see it as possible but to me, it's fun to entertain the thought. The key is the mounting, like a clothesline. Even a pro pitcher can't throw a baseball through a well mounted sheet because of the way it gives and wraps around the ball. Obviously holding a sheet up against your chest and asking a pitcher to drill you is a lousy idea, but hanging it from a clothesline and standing 10' behind it is pretty safe.

Having said all that, I bet the bullet sails right through.

xstuntman
November 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
The wife accidentally discharged my .22 revolver into the bed. It went through the comforter, blanket, both sheets, the mattress, box spring, a 1/2 inch pine board, bounced off the angled steel support under the pine board, and got lost somewhere in the box springs. BTW, we're talking Fed bulk ammo. Imagine what a 9mm could do? If I ever find that round i'm planning on mounting it in a setting for her. Mike

tmajors
November 8, 2008, 11:14 PM
I used a loose sheet as a backdrop in a home built trap in the garage when I was a kid for BB's. Worked great. Should work even better for Airsoft. I wouldn't use it for anything more though.

hankdatank1362
November 8, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well a bullet has to be moving around 300fps at least in order to penetrate human skin, right?

I imagine a bedsheet is about the same. And I can't think of one cartridge that won't send a bullet at least 300fps.

qwert65
November 8, 2008, 11:28 PM
well if your sheet is big enough and hung right you can throw an egg at it and the egg wont break(my physics proffessor showed me this)

according to the theory you can stop anything that way(if I remember correctly)bc the sheet catches it it's the resistance that makes it penetrate like the baseball ex above. of course for a bullet it'd have to be a huge sheet like maybe the size of deleware so a bed sheet i would say no

course I was always better at chem then physics.......

Blacksmoke
November 9, 2008, 12:34 AM
I guess if that is true the Klan has something with the sheets they wear. I might even press a couple into robes except all mine have bears and poodles on them. That might not make me to popular at the next convocation of the Claven!

2nd 41
November 9, 2008, 12:42 AM
If you shoot a sheet.......it will leak. It will not hold water. You cannot wear it in the rain. But, you will have good peephole

Firethorn
November 9, 2008, 12:44 AM
Thinking about the physics of it - a sheet won't be penetrated if it's allowed to move as long as the weight and momentum of the sheet itself doesn't exceed the force needed to snap the threads - thus something like a dull arrow will pierce a taunt sheet that isn't allowed to move, while 'catching' if hung loose.

However, most bullets will have enough energy to exceed the strength of the threads - the sheet won't/can't move fast enough to avoid having the threads in contact with the bullet broken.

In this context, a sheet made of stronger, lighter threads would work better - Silk, for example

jerkface11
November 9, 2008, 12:45 AM
So what you need is a Kevlar bedsheet.

smartshooter.45
November 9, 2008, 12:55 AM
Huh? How can anyone even entertain this idiotic suggestion? If you even for one second think this might be plausible you shouldn't be handling firearms.

agreed

blkbrd666
November 9, 2008, 01:13 AM
If you hit any vitals, they're guaranteed to drop right there. Even with a bad shot, you shouldn't have to track them far. Check your state laws, there could be a caliber requirement for hunting sheets. I wouldn't hesitate to try and take one with a .22 though.

railroader
November 9, 2008, 02:43 AM
I loaded a 45 of mine dropped the slide while it was safely pointed down toward the bed. The hammer followed sending the bullet through the bedspread, blanket, 2 sheets, the mattress and through the boxspring which one of the boards was shot through. The concrete floor stopped the bullet. The gun immediately went back to the manufacturer.

Sean Dempsey
November 9, 2008, 03:04 AM
I heard that a bedsheet is the most poisonous fabric in the world, but its fangs are too small to pierce human skin.

indoorsoccerfrea
November 9, 2008, 03:09 AM
kind of like a daddy-long led right? do the sheets eat ants also?

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 9, 2008, 03:10 AM
This silly notion brought up by the OP somehow negatively affects my life to the point where I become rude and condescending!

Therefore, I am qualified to make judgements as to whether or not the OP should be a handler of fire-arms!

[/sarcasm]

PS.

Didn't Japanese dudes waaay back when wear silk armour to protect against arrows?

blkbrd666
November 9, 2008, 03:17 AM
How long do you generally leave a sheet hanging after you field dress it?

young hunter
November 9, 2008, 04:28 AM
David i think it was the mongols and they wore layers of silk so that even though the arrow pushed into the body the layers of silk wrapped around it to keep it from cutting anything vital . I know you can do this with a bow and a parachute , You have to hang the parachute by the top only and shot low into it and it will catch you arrow . I doubt taht would work with a bullet though .

J_L_A
November 9, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've heard that you cannot shoot thru "Pure silk" ( if you hang it up on a clothesline for instance) but never just a bed sheet.

ultradoc
November 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
is your friend under the sheet?

ar10
November 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
Did it once, long time ago. .45apc very close to sheet. Sheet got torched. Didn't stick around for dad to show up because of running like hell. Can't tell if bullet went through, but my dad noticed a bullet hole in the side of the barn next to the clothes line.

moooose102
November 9, 2008, 10:43 AM
a bedsheet will catch a bullet! i just tried it! i had my wife hold the sheet, and i picked up one of my 45 acp bullets and threw it at the sheet as hard as i could. stopped it dead in its tracks! lol! but, if you fire it out of a gun, i shure wouldnt want to be on the other side of the sheet.

Grey_Mana
November 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
The myth comes from martial arts classes. Punching and kicking a sheet hanging from a clothesline - if you're fast enough, you can get the sheet to snap.

In the current incarnation, you hang newspaper from a door jab. If you can punch a hole through the newspaper, you are punching fast.

Claude Clay
November 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
"Holy Sheet, Batman!"

Gerald in Ga
November 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
If it is a motel sheet and you mount it after you shoot it. You better wear protection against STD's

The Bushmaster
November 9, 2008, 11:49 AM
Gimme a break. Why are we wasting all this space on such a stupid idea?:banghead:

Tell you what. Have your friend stand behind that bed sheet. Bet he won't...:D

elrod
November 9, 2008, 12:45 PM
That myth sounds like a bunch of sheet................:rolleyes:

Tommygunn
November 9, 2008, 12:48 PM
I would be very careful about shooting bedsheets.

The bedsheet season doesn't start until April 1st.:neener:

A-190
November 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
Well I can tell ya that in 67 my mother was unloading dads Hopkins and Allen and it discharged into the bed sheet,...............and dad had to replace the mattress and the box spring and the slats and the floor and the underwear....................I still have that old gun, (it was his Dads) and mom to this day swears it spontaneously fired...............

My point, welol a bed sheet wont stop a 12 gauge...........

statelineblues
November 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
Dang! Tommygunn beat me to it...

Joe Demko
November 9, 2008, 02:27 PM
In a book about dueling, I read that duelists favored silk shirts for more than just fashion sense. The typical large caliber, slow moving pistol bullet of the day would drive the shirt into the wound without penetrating the shirt. The bullet could be extracted from the wound just by pulling the silk fabric out. Supposedly, Mongol warriors wore silk shirts because they worked the same against arrows.
Perhaps this bedsheet thing is a "telephone game" version of one of those factoids.

jackdanson
November 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard... I can shoot a paintball through a plastic sheet (don't ask how I found out, I was "testing" my pball gun in the garage and figured it would splatter/bounce against a plastic sheet, my wall still looks oily), I guarantee you I can shoot a bullet through a cloth one.. going shooting this week, I'll bring some old sheets and take pics so you can prove him wrong.

Yoda
November 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
I can't recall the name of the movie, but it starred Eddie Alert (the 'Green Acres" guy) when he was much younger. He played a locksmith who was captured by Indians, and to impress them, he showed them that a bullet wouldn't penetrate a silk hankie that was held at the top but allowed to float freely at the bottom. He explained to the starlet who was with him that "every locksmith knows" a bullet will just push a silk hankie away rather than penetrate it. Anyway, the indians thought it was magic and let him go, IIRC.

- - - Yoda

=================

FIFTYGUY
November 9, 2008, 10:53 PM
I can't recall the name of the movie, but it starred Eddie Alert (the 'Green Acres" guy) when he was much younger.

Eddie *Albert*. "The Dude Goes West", 1948.

Never seen it, but I just had to go look that up. Sounds fascinating...

He played a locksmith who was captured by Indians,

Apparently he played a *gunsmith*?

mossberg
November 9, 2008, 11:24 PM
If a sheet gets shot in the forest, do any bedbugs hear?

rickomatic
November 9, 2008, 11:29 PM

Is he wearing it?

If he is....it will hit the fan. ;)

FIFTYGUY
November 9, 2008, 11:47 PM
In addition to the well-known Japanese usage of silk in armor on the battlefield, there was much exploration in the West in Victorian times of weaving silk into body armor. The expense limited it to VIP protection, and it was only effective against slower bullets.

Some interesting history there.

Tomahawk674
November 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
Is the sheet made of kevlar? ;)

R.W.Dale
November 9, 2008, 11:50 PM
The Royal Navy has a sail from the HMS Victory at the battle of Trafalgar..... guess what

it's full of holes that were shot into it.

FM12
November 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm tired of all this sheet....

B yond
November 10, 2008, 01:32 AM
Sheets bullet proof ??? NOT TRUE -- I heard thats why the KKK quit wearing them !!!

PS ---- just a joke , don't freak out about it !!!

I'm horribly offended.

PS ---Also just a joke.

evan price
November 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
Kevlar Sheets, Tinfoil Hats, Tactical Wheelbarrows- is there anything in the gunnie world that can't be improved????

indoorsoccerfrea
November 10, 2008, 02:31 AM
yep! the trigger finger

qajaq59
November 10, 2008, 06:22 AM
He's right. Except he left out the part where the bed sheet was 5 miles away and behind an oak tree. :neener:

KD5NRH
November 10, 2008, 07:14 AM
Having shot a towel hanging from a clothesline with one of those Speer plastic practice bullets driven only by a primer, and punched a hole right through it from 7 yards, I'm not trying this one with any of the sheets.

Odd Job
November 10, 2008, 07:28 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/Cat-1.jpg

Bearhands
November 10, 2008, 07:33 AM
I believe that protocol dictates that after a bedsheet shooting, you must in fact have a service, then properly bury it.

CajunBass
November 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
Well. That would explain why shooting a ghost doesn't work.

T J
November 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
An old man years ago told me that if you hang a handkercheif from a clothes line (don't remember if silk or cotton or whatever) and shoot with a .22 that it will not put a hole in it (the bullet will slide across the material and push the handkercheif out of the way. If you then take a .22 round and cut grooves in the lead with a pocket knife, the bullet will put a hole in the handkercheif as it will grab the material. Never did try it though.

oldgold
November 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
Major B.S.

For years we have used old bed sheets hangiing over a clothes line to pattern our shotguns at 40 yards. I've never seen a #7 1/2 or #8 shot stuck in the sheet. At 40 yards a #8 shot is only traveling around 650 fps.

At ISPC and Idpa matches the clothes line with variuos shirts and such is often used for "soft" cover. Never seen any noticable deflection from cloth even jeans.

A couple of us got the bright idea to hang a canvas tarp behind an X-card setup at a local turkey shoot. We hung it loosly at 70 yards behind the target stand. We had to throw the tarp away because it was full of holes !

foghornl
November 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
Have tested this in my basement...

My "Red Ryder" BB gun will NOT penetrate a standard sheet. However, my Crossman .177 pellet pistol WILL punch a pellet through, if I give it more than 4 pumps (range of 16 feet) I forget which model Crossman pellet pistol I have, but it resembles the old Rem XP-100 bolt-action pistol. (Maybe Mdl 1377C ? ?)

expvideo
November 10, 2008, 03:00 PM
hankercheif, maybe. Bedsheet, no.

physics
November 10, 2008, 11:35 PM
I knew it. I just knew it. I make it a point to NEVER open physics related threads in here, because it just depresses me. Kinda like when at the bar and someone asks what I do. I tell them I'm a physicist and they say, "Huh? What's that?" :banghead::banghead:

It's already been said, but REALLY!?! Where in the world do people come up with these things? It really is like apes putting sticks together trying to reach the banana! Oh well, don't feel bad, I'm an idiot too. :uhoh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytxafTXg6c :D

user3214
November 11, 2008, 12:17 AM
If there is air, the air resistance would prevent the sheet from moving in the direction of the bullet at the speed of the bullet. That would cause bullet to rip through the sheet.

If there is no air (and no resistance), as the bullet pushes the sheet, the sheet would move and start absorbing some of the energy; if the sheet is large enough it would eventually absorb all the energy and stop the bullet.

tpaw
November 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
His latest is that you can't shoot through a bed sheet. He maintains that the sheet will give, wrap around the bullet, and capture it. I doubt it, I think even a 9mm pistol round will shoot right through it. Google hasn't been helpful, does anybody know the answer for sure?

To even entertain this stupidity is an insult to all that post here.

86thecat
November 11, 2008, 02:00 AM
Another rural legend is that a piece of screen may stop a pistol bullet (or bounce it back at you).

MT GUNNY
November 11, 2008, 02:18 AM
This is bull sheet! I'm leaving!

jjtroutbum
November 11, 2008, 04:50 AM
Its all about thread count !!!!

Does that matter besides expensive sheets looking better mounted.

And are imported sheets shoot on sight as so many other invasive things are?

;)

KD5NRH
November 11, 2008, 05:13 AM
I guess we're just going to have to have a get together and stand around shooting the sheet until this is settled.

Double Naught Spy
November 11, 2008, 06:51 AM
W is sometimes a vowel - true
Mountain Dew is the highest selling soft drink - false
The melting point of aluminum is 1200 degrees - true

I just love "facts" as 2 out of the 3 example facts are actually wrong.

W is never a vowel. It is a semi-vowel or semi-consonant, but not a vowel, much like Y, and both are also called "glides."

The melting point of Aluminum is not 1200 F, but 1220.666 F

So you can shoot through a bed sheet. Go figure...given the other "facts."
His latest is that you can't shoot through a bed sheetIn this western comedy, a milquetoast gunsmith from the East Coast goes to Arsenic City, Arizona because he has heard that everybody their carries guns. His trip West is an exercise in misfortune. Everything that could go wrong on the journey, does. At least he meets a pretty woman, also en route to Arsenic City. She goes there in search of her late father's gold mine. They fall in love and work together to find her father's killer and reclaim the mine

qajaq59
November 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
I guess we're just going to have to have a get together and stand around shooting the sheet until this is settled.
OK.....Let's have a VOTE. I say this is the best reply. :D :D :D

Double Naught Spy
November 11, 2008, 10:36 AM
Box-0-Truth?

RKBABob
November 11, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, this bedsheet thing is absolutely true! ;)

Also, you should never shoot in the woods. A leaf can actually catch a bullet, and the whole branch will bend back to absorb the energy of the bullet... then, when the branch snaps back the bullet comes right bact to you! :eek:

Claude Clay
November 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
still "shooting the sheet" ?
amazing how this has woven through 5 pages.

MD_Willington
November 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
not a bed sheet, but they do make Kevlar sheets and blankets for that purpose.

They had them at bulletproofme.com

Treo
November 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
It's been my experience that the sheet dies :D

RKBABob
November 11, 2008, 03:14 PM
A lot of people think that departed human souls wear sheets. This is flase. The sheet covered ghosts are actually the departed spirits of bed linens which have been cut down in their prime by gunfire, or drowned in uri.... ne vermind!

gotgcoalman
November 11, 2008, 04:14 PM
Was reading an article in a UK shooting magazine.

weapon- Lee Enfield .303 fired at steel plate,

Range- 1/4 of a mile,

penetration- Hole straight thro it.

Same gun/load fired @ wool army blanket soaked in water
and hung from a washingline.

Blanket was hit square on but projectile didn't go thru it!
some of the above posts support the (shock absorber affect)

wouldnt like to stand behind the sheet/blanket to test the
theory tho.

If anyone wants to try with their own bed linen make sure
you shoot @ your wife/partners side,nothing worse than holes in
sheets on your side!

UKarmourer
November 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
there is an 'urban myth' in the British army about the old sterling SMG with our old 9mm ammo (from india)
they reckoned that you could get a wet army blanket and at 50m the rounds would not penetrate.

everyone knows someone who knows someone who saw it done IYKWIM

personally I think its stupid concept!

Guns and more
November 11, 2008, 04:26 PM
It depends on who's in the bed and why! :cuss:

OFT
November 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
"Holey Sheet":neener:

mgregg85
November 11, 2008, 06:18 PM

Ask if he would be willing to stand behind a bedsheet while you try shooting a mediocre pistol round, lets say .25 ACP, at it.:uhoh: I think he will yield at that point.

gotgcoalman
November 11, 2008, 06:22 PM
this post /thread could go on forever LOL

personally i'm doubtfull about the sheet concept.

but not the blanket tho lol.

rcmodel
November 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
Maybe that explains why my paper targets sometimes don't have holes in them after I shoot them?

Dang bullets are being caught by the targets and stopped, just like them bed sheets.

qajaq59
November 11, 2008, 06:48 PM
Maybe that explains why my paper targets sometimes don't have holes in them after I shoot them? Nahhhhh, that excuse isn't going to fly!

MGshaggy
November 11, 2008, 07:45 PM

Easy answer - your wife or S.O. bashes you in the noggin with a frying pan for ruining her good sheets.

Phil DeGraves
November 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
he showed them that a bullet wouldn't penetrate a silk hankie that was held at the top but allowed to float freely at the bottom.

This actually happened in the Old West. A doctor examining the corpse who had just lost a gunfight noted that the man's silk handkerchief which had been in his pocket, had been driven into his body and not been penetrated.

The material was silk, not cotton or wool or anything else. The penetration of the body was not impaired by the silk.

Given a larger piece of silk, say the size of the bedsheet, I'm pretty sure the bullet is going through, otherwise, bullet proof vests would be made of silk with something solid under it to prevent blunt trauma.

givo08
November 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
I understand the concept he was going for, and you see these kinds of backstops for arrows that basically give way to the arrow and slow it down before the arrow can penetrate it, but a bullet is moving too fast and a sheet has too much inertia to move with the bullet and catch it. It will basically stay still as the bullet passes through it. If you had a larger enough bullet going fast enough, this would work. For example, a paintball going < 300 fps would be stopped by a sheet in this manner.

If you had an extremely light sheet like bridal veil weight/thickness, made out of an extremely strong material that was at least as strong as kevlar (but obviously much ligher weight to make it as thin as bridal veil), you could create a barrier like this for heavier/slower bullets. Neat concept, but the material doesn't exist today.

blkbrd666
November 12, 2008, 01:11 PM
I cut most of the side out of a cardboard box...left a hole just big enough to be covered by an 8.5x11 paper target that I print on the laser printer. Inside I draped a commercial yellow shop rag as a backstop...these are cotton. I use this setup indoors for target practice quite often. I have found that after penetrating the paper target, every single round is stopped by the loosely hanging yellow shop rag and they fall down into the box. I haven't tried this with 9mm, but it works with Airsoft. :D

...anything to perpetuate this to 5 pages...

CWL
November 12, 2008, 02:06 PM
Item 1: A friend of mine was wondering how tight the trigger was in her Highway Patrol .38 service pistol, put a round right thru the sheets, mattress, boxspring, plank and into the hardwood floor. I personally witnessed removal of the 'corpse'.

Item 2: Silk was used in all of Asia as protection against arrow wounds, not just by the Mongols or Samurai. The purpose of using 3 layers was not that the arrow would actually be stopped, but that some of the material would wrap around the arrowhead as it penetrated the body. This silk aided in preventing deeper wounds and also made it easy to pull the entire arrowhead out of a wound. The real danger was having arrowheads embedding or breaking-off inside a person -you don't want dirty fingers poking around inside a wound causing more damage & guaranteed infection.

blkbrd666
November 12, 2008, 07:51 PM
This thread has got me thinking. If you shoot a large pile of wet sheet at close range with a .22 hollowpoint...will you get any of the sheet on you???

SteelyNirvana
November 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
amazing how this has woven through 5 pages.

Yeah, I thought my post about purposly firing a .22 Super Colbri thru a thick bath towel would have made folks use some common sense and this thread would have sunk a few days ago:rolleyes:

Speedo66
November 13, 2008, 04:24 PM
What happens if you shoot a bedsheet?

First the ACLU will get involved citing bedsheet rights, then another group will be looking for a homeland for bedsheets where they can be safe, then another group will petition the gov't to allow bedsheets to immigrate here to get away from bedsheet persecusion in their home country, etc., etc., etc. :eek:

Aren't you glad you asked?

RKBABob
November 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
What happens if you shoot a bed sheet? You wake up whoever is in the bed.

BHP FAN
November 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
This sheet is begining to smell...

sarg
November 13, 2008, 09:25 PM
if true, whynot shoot a pillow case and save bullets to reload,,,,

Sebastian the Ibis
November 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
Awwe, Your friend has a magic blanky. Does he still carry it around with him?

10-41Trooper
November 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
Good thread, pretty funny stuff!

John828
November 14, 2008, 10:40 AM
.45 ACP will definitely penetrate the sheet.

9mm? Not so much.

pbearperry
November 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
I know that bullets will go thru pillows,because I see that in most crime movies,so why in the world wouldn't a 45 go thru a single sheet?

RKBABob
November 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
Isn't this sheet dead yet?

contenderman
November 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
Depends on who's wearing it and what they are doing at the time ... :evil:

Fun thread though, lots of good "sheet". :neener:

The Bushmaster
November 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
The sheet will have a hole in it just like this thread has...Are we still on this subject? I thought we "covered" it quite well on the first page. By The Way...Try bleach to get rid of the lead stains...

Superlite27
November 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm trying to think of a good response to this question, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sleep on it.

mbt2001
November 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

qajaq59
November 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to think of a good response to this question, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sleep on it. Yikes.....

Why do I keep reading this thread. Obviously I need serious help! ! ! ! :banghead:

msb45
November 14, 2008, 11:35 PM
Gunfighter 123,

This week at work really sucked so I dove into this site for some relaxation.

After reading your post I pictured the typical outfit from TV Marches with the circle/cross on the chest and thought bullseye, LMAO.

thanks

OOOXOOO
November 14, 2008, 11:44 PM
Most ridiculous thread I have read in a while

newkahrman
November 14, 2008, 11:46 PM
Obviously not. I do often wonder if the temperpedic mattress would stop say a 410 slug. Maybe mythbusters will try that one.

biggiesmalls
November 15, 2008, 12:07 AM
i CAN see it happening. i thought the title of the thread was stupid at first but upon considering...
***IF***
the sheet is small enough, say 1 square foot, and you let it free fall and shoot it with a big round bullet like a .45, wouldn't sheet just wrap around the bullet and keep flying with it for a while? if the sheet is hung, fixed on something, or laying flat on a bed then of course the bullet will go through, but i think it's possible that a smal and light sheet that isn't attached to anything will just fly with the bullet until in drops to the ground.

*if i'm wrong then i made the right choice not to major in physics or any other natural science.

1858rem
November 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
it would flip and fold freefalling, how bout' hung by two VERY fine threads...or even hair if you got one long enough, cool idea with the 1ft square cloth, it would look pretty crazy to see a cloth flyin' about 900 fps through the air, loke a crazy little ghost on steroids:neener::D

Ron-Bon
November 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
I Think it would depend on how tightly stretched the sheet is. If its just hanging loose, your friends theory is probably right, but if its stretched out tight enough, a bullet will go right through

2RCO
November 15, 2008, 01:34 AM
If sheets are bulletproof then curtains should be as well as shirts.
They aren't but this is one funny thread.

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 15, 2008, 02:29 AM
What I don't get is all of the people complaining and whining about this thread.

When you read, "What happens if you shoot a bedsheet", and clicked on it, what did you think you're going to find?

xx7grant7x
November 15, 2008, 02:40 AM
I purposely fired an Agularia super colbri .22 from my 6" rough rider

so many christina Agularia jokes involving 6" rough riders I could make.........

gretske
November 15, 2008, 12:29 PM
But, seriously folks.

If you think about the physics involved, the answer should be obvious. Even a small, silk hanky will be held in place by inertial forces, gravity and the air resistance on the back of the hanky. It will take a finite amount of time for the hanky to overcome these forces and move backwards enough to allow the bullet, traveling at several hundred feet per second, to pass under the hanky without cutting the threads. Without doing the math, it seems obvious that could not happen, and that the projectile will cut the threads faster than the hanky can respond.

The Bushmaster
November 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ya gotta remember...The bullet is sneaking up on the poor defenseless hanky at a rather rapid rate of speed. The defenseless hanky (or sheet) hasn't a clue that the bullet is coming unanounced. The perferation by the bullet of the hanky will be instantaneous. Simply put. One hanky (or sheet) one hole.

Yer turn Superlite27...:neener:

jon_in_wv
December 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
I can tell you what happens when you shoot your bed with a 45acp if that helps!

scrat
December 20, 2008, 03:10 PM
i think this is funny. i guess the military should throw out the kevelar and make bullet proof vest out of bed sheets.

Tommygunn
December 20, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ohmygawdit'sback! THREAD NECROMANCY???!!?!
Bedsheets.
Man, I just can't get myself interested anymore.

Mr_Rogers
December 20, 2008, 04:25 PM
Don't know about sheets but here is an eye-witness account of a demonstration by Bill Sykes of the "Fairbairn and Sykes" duo.

"And the other example, which I saw demonstrated, was after we did the combat pistol course, and all were felling (sic) rather over-confident with the knock-down power of the issued Colt cartridge, Bill called a greatcoat-clad sergeant over to stand at the fifty-yard target backstop. The 'target' stood with feet about thirty inches apart, hands in overcoat pockets, and holding the garment away from his body. A loaded 'Thompson' was set at repetition fire mode, and Bill tapped-off single shots that struck the center of the man's coat. At each shot I saw his coat 'flick' and I, like everybody present, assumed that the bullets just hit the multi-layers of cloth and dropped to the earth. Our greatcoats were double breasted heavy woolen material, with a same cloth lining, plus a heavy-weave horse hair-like spacer, so that's six layers.

zootsuit002
December 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
I really would have expected more from The High Road, than some of the responses that I have seen here. Many of you have dismissed this out of turn without even looking at it scientifically. I suspect that that is why you probably also believe in global warming being caused by your SUV. As soon as the variables (plural) of resistance become more than the force required to penetrate variables (plural also) when exceeded by the force applied against. Then and only then will the bullet penetrate. This is the whole principle on which Kevlar works. We can get into all kinds of sub-discussions on fabrics moving out of the way and what not, but it is mostly pointless. When the force applied against the fabric (composed of speed, inertia, and friction variables) is less than the force required to penetrate (composed of the resistance to movement and the resistance to penetration variables as well as the friction and time variables) the bullet will stop. All of you who mocked the idea in it's entirety are now forced to give up 3 IQ points for being wrong in your ignorance and unlike THR and I will give up 5 Cool points for having to point this out.

jon_in_wv
December 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'll second that.

Norinco982lover
December 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
Have your friend hold the sheet up and shoot him...er the sheet...

Grey_Mana
December 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Moderators, please delete this thread!!!
It is revealing super secret classified technology, virtually giving away America's next generation of interactive tank armor!

All that steel and polymer welded on military vehicles are just smoke and mirrors. The real protective layer is 100% cotton, 260 thread count.

gregormeister
December 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
I don't understand why the moderators have not locked this thread yet???
Oh because its not based on a soon to be anti-gun president. My bad....What rubbish...

Pongwoo
December 22, 2008, 02:32 PM
for the love of god people 6 pages on this non sense, after this i can start my thread on how many body's can i penetrate with a 5.56 in a row?

benEzra
December 22, 2008, 03:10 PM
according to the theory you can stop anything that way(if I remember correctly)bc the sheet catches it it's the resistance that makes it penetrate like the baseball ex above. of course for a bullet it'd have to be a huge sheet like maybe the size of deleware so a bed sheet i would say no
A sheet made of fibers with enough tensile strength and elasticity to withstand thousands of pounds of force concentrated on a sub-half-inch spot could catch a bullet. And it wouldn't have to be huge, just a few feet across, probably.

BUT, cotton and other bedding materials lack the necessary tensile strength to stop a bullet in a single layer; it doesn't matter how big the sheet is, the threads right around the bullet will rip and the bullet will go through.

If you wove a curtain of cotton (cellulose) fiber a foot or two thick, yes, it could stop a bullet, just like cellulose phone books will stop a bullet. But a cotton sheet won't.

jon_in_wv
December 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
No its not.

I know that doesn't make sense. But I'm ok with that.

tim71
December 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
Someone told me once that they did something similiar. Only the story was that you could hang a bedsheet from the top; like a closeline, and shoot it with a .22 and the sheet would simply move out of the way.

I don't know but several things. First, the lower you shoot the sheet, the more likely the sheet would move out of the way. Also, I'd think a smooth round bullet like a FMJ .45 would be more likely to push it out of the way.

I could see that being possible, especially if you were close enough that the muzzle blast helped move the sheet.

Tim

3pairs12
December 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
What about thread count I wonder how much that would matter.

Grey_Mana
December 23, 2008, 06:16 AM
for the love of god people 6 pages on this non sense, after this i can start my thread on how many body's can i penetrate with a 5.56 in a row?
That's crazy talk PW. I purposefully don't tuck my shirt in, so it will hang free like a bed sheet and stop your puny rounds.

Likewise dresses. Have you ever heard of a pretty woman getting shot in the legs while wearing a dress? Of course not. Throughout history, the only people actually getting hurt by bullets are men wearing tight clothes and naked hippies.

But I'll tell you a secret. It is legal in the US to buy bedsheet-piercing rounds. What you want to do is:
1 - go to your local gun counter
2 - wait until it is just you and the salesman, with nobody to eavesdrop. If necessary, just stand there and wait until people clear out. Don't worry, you won't look like a pyschopath if you wait for hours.
3 - The secret sign is the most important step. Walk up the salesman, wink slowly, touch your nose with your left index finger, do 3 quick hip thrusts and say "Hey partner, I'd like to pay you to give me your best bedsheet-piercing rounds. "

Chisel Head
December 23, 2008, 06:24 AM
...I guess if that is true the Klan has something with the sheets they wear. I might even press a couple into robes except all mine have bears and poodles on them. That might not make me to popular at the next convocation of the Claven!...Maybe, try printing a dragon on the sheet you'll be wearing to the party.
Vanguard, maybe try this experiment. Drop the bedsheet from a high elevation. Then, shoot it as it falls downward. Best to use a hollow-pointed projectile

Superlite27
December 23, 2008, 10:52 AM
after this i can start my thread on how many body's can i penetrate with a 5.56 in a row?

Too many variables in this question.

1) Do you mean "bodies" as in "live" bodies, or bodies as in "corpses"?

If you mean "corpses", they usually cover those with a bed sheet. This will probably influence your experiment because, as determined by this thread, bed sheets have a supernatural, unexplained influence on ballistics.

2) By "in a row", do you mean front to back, or side to side?

3)Also by "in a row", do you mean as a measure of shooting skill (e.g. "how many can I hit in a row?") or as a measure of penetration (e.g. "How many bodies will a 5.56 penetrate if placed in depth?")

4)If you mean as a measure of shooting skill, we'd have to determine distance. Shooting bodies at 10 feet will not be as good as a determinant as, say, 100 yards.

5)If you mean as a penetrant, distance between bodies would also be a determinant. The further away from each other, the fewer that would be penetrated. (Especially if they were covered in bed sheets)

Where are you going to get the bodies?

If you do mean "live" bodies, How are you going to get them to line up?

(I'm only volunteering if I get to hold up a bed sheet.)

GBExpat
December 23, 2008, 11:29 AM
Reminds me of a "WackoNut" security guard that worked graveyard shift at our hotel for awhile in the mid-70s.

Unfortunately, Management had decided to reduce costs and dropped the contract with the offduty VABch police.

This kid, like the rest, only carried a nightstick. Sometimes he would try to spin it and, as often as not, would end-up hitting himself. Embarrassing. Even with that, I felt safe because of the pistol under my jacket.

In conversation very early one quiet morning, he told me that if anyone ever drew down and shot at him, he would just sidestep the bullet. :what: Pardon? Ayup, I had heard that right ... he figured that he was quick enough to sidestep the bullet and if he has a piece of wood in hand he could even hit it like a baseball.

By this time I was becoming thoroughly entertained and continued the conversation.

The one other Interesting Fact that I learned from this fellow was that there is no gravity on the Moon because it has no atmosphere ... the atmosphere is what holds us on the surface of the Earth.

Hmmm ... still a mystery why they wouldn't allow him to carry a firearm. :)

Ky Larry
December 23, 2008, 11:58 PM
If Zombies ever learn to wear bed sheets, we're all in trouble.:uhoh:

rfwobbly
December 24, 2008, 12:19 AM
Ask your pal to explain the bullet holes in "Old Glory" then.

Pariah 88
June 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've heard about this and can't find anything on google either. I heard this from my dad, who was a shooter of many guns etc. He told me a sheet on a washing line would stop a bullet. I have thought of writting into Myth Busters about. I want to know if it is physically true. I know the idea seems stupid but hell in this world anything is possible. Stranger stuff has happened. Plus what about different calibres of rounds. Or what fired from. This is plausible.

Sam1911
June 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
This thread is too stupid to live.

Look, if you REALLY can't believe your brain and think this maybe has an ounce of validity, it is REALLY easy to go test it for yourself.

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens if you shoot a bed sheet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!