DPMS or AR-10 Armanlite?

PDA

Texasred
November 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
Ok which of these rifles for mid range tactical use would be the best pick?
Which magazines are the better solution?
I hear the DPMS'es are now used by the military so would this be the better choice for the long haul? Not the actual DPMS, but the general design of the gun. I plan on mounting a scope and would really like a good recomendation.
I am generally a Leupold guy and really plan to use this to back up my AKs and ARs, when they just can't get the point across;)

It seems that the DPMS is the choice huh? What about RRAs now 308s?

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS or AR-10 Armanlite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Texasred
November 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Panther™ LR-308AP4 or the Panther™ LRT-SASS look like they've got just what I'm looking for.

Loomis
November 8, 2008, 10:59 PM
DPMS is the best deal.

I'm going to order two DPMS stripped lower receivers this week...just in case obama bans them. If he does, then I'll get the rest of the parts.

JWarren
November 8, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hiya.

You'll not go wrong with either the DPMS LR-308 or the Armalite AR-10.

I have a DPMS LR-308 with the 24" fluted stainless bull barrel. Its a pretty heavy rifle.

The only thing that I personally see that the Armilite has on the the DPMS is that there are more manufacturers of Railed Free-float tubes for the AR-10.

However, that is not enough of a reason for me to get on. You can get DPMS forearms from DPMS, Daniel Defense, Superior Weapon Systems, JP Enterprises, and Badger Ordanance. So that isn't a big handicap.

You will see more percision match barrels made for the AR-10. You don't see them made for the DPMS.

However, I have recently learned that you CAN put a AR-10 match precision barrel on a DPMS LR-308 if you use the DPMS barrel nut and use an Armalite gas tube. So this isn't a handicap either.

So it comes down to magazines. Both aren't cheap-- but you can get both for good prices from 44mag.com

I personally am glad that I got my DPMS.

BTW... the one that you are thinking about that the military is using is the Knight's Armament SR-25. It has much in common with the DPMS.

I don't know much about the RRA other than it is supposed to be able to use FAL magazines.

-- John

Texasred
November 8, 2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah I saw that SR 25 is something like 3 or 5 thousand dollars. I rather get a full auto UZI or a .50 caliber for that money.

Texasred
November 9, 2008, 10:00 AM
So the general consensus is that the DPMS is good enough to put your life on the line for. Correct?

ParaElite
November 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
I got my DPMS 308 "19" round mags for a little over $25 each a few weeks back. They are very well made and finished and in plastic wrappers without the crappy grease.

JWarren
November 9, 2008, 03:36 PM
So the general consensus is that the DPMS is good enough to put your life on the line for. Correct?

Yep.

-- John

MachIVshooter
November 9, 2008, 08:07 PM
I love my Armalite, but have not heard a single bad thing about the DPMS rifles. I personally think the DPMS receivers look a little funky, but that's just aesthetics.

I buy Armalite because I really like the company. Absolutely wonderful to deal with.

Loomis
November 12, 2008, 09:57 PM
My gunshop claims that bushmaster and DPMS are practially the same company. They are both owned by the same umbrella corp.

That's what I was told.

jpwilly
November 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
My gunshop claims that bushmaster and DPMS are practially the same company. They are both owned by the same umbrella corp.

That's what I was told.

CERBERUS is the company that ownes Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster!

rbernie
November 13, 2008, 08:04 AM
You will be happy with either a DPMS or Armalite. Mags for either can be had for $35/ea at this point; Armalite mags used to be cheaper than the DPMS mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS or AR-10 Armanlite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!