How long will the rush last?

PDA

cbrgator
November 9, 2008, 12:09 AM
How long do you guys think it will take before buying slows, the gouged prices come down, and there is inventory on the shelves?

If you enjoyed reading about "How long will the rush last?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
November 9, 2008, 12:27 AM
My opinion only:

Firearm inventories will not stabilize until after January, because that's just how long it takes to get the products built and on the shelves. Presuming that the demand remains intact (meaning backorders will be filled as stock comes in), it'll be March at the earliest before things return to any semblence of normalcy. The only question is whether the folks that are putting money into backorders today will still spend the money in February. If you're a retailer who just cleared the shelves of EBRs, you might NOT actually order so many for delivery in 2009, since there's no way to tell how strong the demand will remain. That reluctance to trust on the local market remaining strong (since doing so costs the storefront a fair bit of working capital) may exacerbate the bubble for a bit.

Ammo is probably going to stabilize faster, at least for non-ComBloc imports. There is plenty of production, and the current rush to buy is fairly limited to the cheap Russian imports and/or milsurp stocks.

taliv
November 9, 2008, 12:50 AM
yeah, i was somewhat surprised to find all the guns and magazines i like out of stock but no shortage of my favorite ammo. what's up with these people? they not planning on shooting? they think they're going to leave their EBRs in the box and sell them at a profit 2-3 years from now?

it's like these speculative bubble people learned nothing from housing or gasoline. <cramer>they know NOTHING</cramer>

rbernie
November 9, 2008, 12:53 AM
they think they're going to leave their EBRs in the box and sell them at a profit 2-3 years from now?
I went to two gun stores today and chatted with folks at the counter. They were all buying semiauto pistols and EBRs, but I got the sense that most of them were simply looking to be IBTL rather than speculate on the resale side.

These were not die-hard gunnies. They are casual gunnies who have gotten wind that there is something to be worried about, and decided to get that EBR now rather than wait.

Prepster
November 9, 2008, 01:06 AM
I'd imagine after the holiday season things will really start to calm down. There's the early rush now, then the standard rush, and then everybody runs out of money and we get into a retail slump. If prices will respond to this is anyone's guess. However, this is pure speculation on my part.

Justin
November 9, 2008, 01:14 AM
I suspect we'll see a post-Christmas slump. Possibly a blip up when Obama takes office, and then yet another large jump the first time any elected official goes on CNN yammering about banning "assault weapons."

jeff-10
November 9, 2008, 02:07 AM
By January it'll be back to normal. However a rush on ARs and pistols with doublestack magazines is actually good for the RKBA in the long run. It would be nice if we could get several million AR owners spread through out all the states that you can still own them. The more mainstream the AR is, the better.

Sean Dempsey
November 9, 2008, 03:08 AM
It's a strange phenomenon, price gouging.

In the time of crisis for gun owners, gun sellers see this is a chance to exploit their customer base and maximize profits. But how many of the gun sellers are also gun owners?

Profiteers cashing in on baseless fear.

cbrgator
November 9, 2008, 03:16 AM
That's capitalism.

Brian Dale
November 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
What's up with these people? [Are] they not planning on shooting? [Do] they think they're going to leave their EBRs in the box and sell them at a profit 2-3 years from now?

I'm with rbernie: I don't think so. I think that a lot of the people who've been thinking that they 'might like to have one' have decided to grab one now in case they won't have the chance to do so later on.

Starship1st
November 9, 2008, 08:22 AM
IMO I beleive the buying will slow down based on the first anti-gun, ammo, or magazine bill is pased in 09. Until then, there will continue to be a buying frenzy. :cool:

slide
November 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
How long do you guys think it will take before buying slows, the gouged prices come down, and there is inventory on the shelves?

There is no gouging. It's called free market. When demand rises, you are an idiot to not raise your price if the supply remains static.

Or do you wish for State controlled pricing on everything to prevent evil capitalists from 'gouging' you? If you have a Model 29 Smith and find that it generally sells for $400, would you sell yours for $200 because you only paid $200? Gee, you must be a gouger too.

Just Jim
November 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
The fact is we are going into a deep depression that no one can stop. When people run out of money the buying will stop and the selling will start.

That is till people go hungry.

jj

If you enjoyed reading about "How long will the rush last?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!