Good first .22

PDA

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 05:22 AM
My girlfriend recently mentioned that she'd like to learn how to shoot. I learned many years ago, but unfortunately no longer own any weapons of any kind.
I'm looking for a solid, cheap .22 to teach her on. Have been doing some research - and the Remington Model 5 seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely.
Looking for bolt action, preferably no plastic/cheap parts (rules out the winchester wildcat in my opinion), and again - cheap. (Which rules out many of the rifles i would prefer to buy - savage, cz, kimber, etc).

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Good first .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 05:40 AM
A chipmunk?

They are a cute little gun. Any other bolt action (I think Marlin makes one).

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 06:19 AM
chipmunk's - those are the little tiny single-shot rifles? I think from Rogue? Looked at those - wanted something slightly higher up the food chain than that.
As for marlin - something about marlin's never "felt" right to me. Can't really explain it. I did have one of the old wood/blue papoose .22 semi's that was a lot of fun - but that was about as far as I went with them.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
Whatever.

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 06:51 AM
lol - touche

I'm sure there is a middle of the road between $100, and $1200 - no?

more specifically - and i realize i left this question out of my original post - i was hoping perhaps someone had some experience with the remington, and could provide some insight.

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 06:52 AM
odd - don't know how the double-post happened, sorry bout that.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 07:03 AM
My thought was she might like it so much, she may want to "graduate" to a centerfire rifle (.222, .223, .243, etc).
If that happens, you will have a 22 that you might hardly ever use.:rolleyes:

As for help with the Remington, sorry I can't help you on that.

woof
November 9, 2008, 07:17 AM
I'd look at the bottom end of the Savage Mark II line, the F model. You might find one of the older ones without the accutrigger for about 120, the new ones are still well under 200. They are well made and tack drivers. Yes, they have a synthetic stock but are high quality throughout.

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 07:19 AM
That's hopefully the eventual plan.
The thing is, she's never so much as seen a gun in person. Before moving to NV - she was rabidly anti-gun (we lived in NYC where they serve very little purpose). Since moving out here, she's interested, but not to the point of being commited yet. This is more of an introduction than anything else.

My plan was - get a cheap/easy .22, teach her on that. Shortly after get myself a .223 or .243 (if we're gonna shoot together, i need something too, right?). She graduates up to that rifle, at which time I can get myself something new... and the cycle continues. :)

I didn't want to go too low on the scale, because i do enjoy shooting .22s quite a bit. If she decides maybe this whole "gun thing" isn't for her, i didn't want to be stuck with something that was entirely for her, that i'm not happy with.
Didn't want to go too high on the scale, because really a gun isn't exactly a top priority budget wise. Why create an issue needlessly?

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'd look at the bottom end of the Savage Mark II line, the F model. You might find one of the older ones without the accutrigger for about 120, the new ones are still well under 200. They are well made and tack drivers. Yes, they have a synthetic stock but are high quality throughout.

I've never been a big fan of synthetic stocks, but for that price it's certainly worth a look. Thanks!

kb2zya
November 9, 2008, 07:23 AM
get a cheep fun to shoot 702 Mossberg.$100 at walmart.I got a used one in spring to try to get my wife into shooting.She never shot a gun and loved plinking with it.last Sunday i went with her and she got %100 on her hunter safety course for a hunting in NY.I just started looking for a nice 243 for deer season next year for her.my 2 cents is get a cheep 22 semi auto for getting her into shooting and spend the real cash on center-fire
Tom

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 08:06 AM
get a cheep fun to shoot 702 Mossberg.$100 at walmart.I got a used one in spring to try to get my wife into shooting.She never shot a gun and loved plinking with it.last Sunday i went with her and she got %100 on her hunter safety course for a hunting in NY.I just started looking for a nice 243 for deer season next year for her.my 2 cents is get a cheep 22 semi auto for getting her into shooting and spend the real cash on center-fire
Tom

Yea, i've been on the fence between bolt action and semi-auto. I personally always had more fun with semi-auto, but i'm into guns - she's not. I thought bolt action might seem a little less.... "threatening" - without going down to the single-shot realm.

In case you haven't noticed, i've been wrestling with this a bit....

dagger dog
November 9, 2008, 08:17 AM
In my opinion first time shooters should start out with rifles that are safe and easy to operate.

Bolt rifles are usually the safest as the action can be left open and even repeaters can be operated single shot.

The semi's are hard to operate single shot, which makes them harder to teach.

Accidental or negligent discharges can happen with both but the semi's are better left ,for later!

Eye and hearing protection are a must even the .22 rimfire can cause hearing problems. down the road.

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 08:46 AM
In my opinion first time shooters should start out with rifles that are safe and easy to operate.

Obviously safety is always a concern, but the easy to operate was more why i was leaning bolt action. Bolt actions seem to be easier to understand for a lot of people, because you can actually see what's going on. I don't want to just teach her how to shoot, i want her to actually understand...

CajunBass
November 9, 2008, 09:02 AM
Here's the way it works. You don't worry about what you think or what I think, you worry about what SHE thinks. Take her to a gunstore, or a gun show and let her see, and handle various models until SHE finds the one SHE wants. A range that has guns for rent or try is even better.

Unless your girlfriend is five years old, I don't think a Chipmunk will cut it. A Remington model 5 might be too big. A 10/22 might be just perfect. You might hate 10/22's. That's not important if SHE likes it.

Don't worry that she'll outgrow it. You never outgrow a 22.

woof
November 9, 2008, 09:07 AM
Sinixstar, OK face reality. You started out saying you wanted a "cheap" .22 but now, from just talking about it, you're hooked and you know perfectly well you want something better! So don't fight it. Make a sacrifice somewhere else and get something from the CZ line. 452 American if you want a scope from the start, one of the iron sight models if not. Best place to buy is whittakerguns.com. Go do that and come back and tell us how it shoots. Start out with Federal Champion 510 from Walmart, the CZs are certainly worthy of match grade ammo later.

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 09:33 AM
Cajun - i agree with you in theory - slight problem though.

Girlfriend = grew up in NYC and until not all that long ago (moving to rural nevada) thought all guns should be banned, except for swat teams.

Taking her to a gun store to "try a few things on" isn't going to go over well. Trust me on this. :)

This is also why i'm being very careful on the subject.

The "might be too big" comment is most helpful though.

CajunBass
November 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
In that case, just about any 22 will do for an introduction. If you don't have one, borrow one. Whatever you can get. A 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66 would be about perfect if you can find one. The idea is to make it fun. Get a box of skeet targets and head out someplace where you can set them up, not too far away and let her blast them into little pieces.

Once you get her hooked on the idea of shooting at all, THEN you can worry about getting her to help you find the right gun for HER.

rangerruck
November 9, 2008, 01:36 PM
the remmy 5 is more money than you think; you can get a marlin or savage, wood stock, for half that price, and you can get a cz, with a set trigger, for about 300 bucks. all will be better than the remmy, and the marlin and savage will have readily available, and cheaper mags, than the remmy or the cz for that matter.

crushbup
November 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
One that holds less than 10 rounds in the magazine, has no pistol grip (you don't want her firing from the hip), no bayonet lug, no flash hider, has fewer than 10 imported parts, was manufactured before 1986, has a $200 tax stamp associated with it, and is only used for deer hunting.

And don't you DARE thread that barrel. Or carry it around. Or store it assembled and unlocked.

Or own it in the first place.

Dookie
November 9, 2008, 01:59 PM
what about an NEF. Single shot, light, accurate, well built. Inexpensive.

But Savage, Marlin, Charles Daly, Mossberg and NEF are going to be your lower cost good quality rifles.

And plastic does NOT equal cheap.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 02:14 PM
Why not try to keep the money in this country and purchase US Made (if there is such a thing any more).:rolleyes:

Leadhead
November 9, 2008, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't rule out the(Russian) wildcat.....I bought a Toz 78 (same gun but a little rougher) and it's nice and light and shoots great!

Can't go wrong with CZ either.

woof
November 9, 2008, 02:15 PM
Where can you get a CZ with set trigger for $300?

bob kk
November 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
A CZ scout would be a good first gun. Light and accurate. Safer than a semi auto. They have fairly good sights and you can scope it later. Magazines cost about thirty dollars not cheap but they are built to last.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
The original post says he wants it CHEAP.

To me, $300 or more is not cheap for a 22.

To me, CHEAP for a 22 is less than $130, including tax. That's cheap.:rolleyes:

Also, synthetic stock does NOT make it junk, but might make it cheap, so he can be in budget. For a Savage Mark II, expect to pay nearly $200 (tax included).

Like I said originally, buy a Chipmunk.
That will have a wooden stock, is lightweight and is inexpensive.
If you ever have children you will be glad to have that Chipmunk rifle -- besides, your girlfriend will think it's a cute little gun.

cbrgator
November 9, 2008, 02:48 PM
+1 on Savage Mark II

Sinixstar
November 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well, thanks for the input - i had the CZ and the Savage on a list of possibilities, but lower on the list due to cost. I think it's ultimately going to come down to what I can find for what price. I've been poking around local shops with not much luck in this department. Got a few more on my list to check out.
Trying to avoid doing the online/FFL transfer thing, just because I prefer to support local businesses, so - we'll see what happens...

cbrgator
November 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
Walmart usually carries the Savage Mark II in the 100-120 range.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
In that case, go for it!

Savage makes a GOOD GUN!

Dirty Dawg
November 9, 2008, 05:45 PM
Save a few extra pennies and pick up a Henry lever action. Very nice plinker, looks great and will last forever. You could probably catch one on sale around the holidays for $200 or so.

woof
November 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
Actually the Henry is up to about $249. That's twice the price of the non-accutrigger Mark IIF. I have both of those rifles and while the Henry is fun to shoot, the Savage is more accurate and better for a beginner, IMO.

scythefwd
November 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
"I'm sure there is a middle of the road between $100, and $1200 - no?"

I'd hope so, I here you can get a competition level .22 for under 1k :)

You can get several good rifles for 150-200. If you belong to the right clubs, you can get a mossberg 44 from CMP. I love mine.

Dirty Dawg
November 9, 2008, 08:44 PM
Actually the Henry is up to about $249. That's twice the price of the non-accutrigger Mark IIF. I have both of those rifles and while the Henry is fun to shoot, the Savage is more accurate and better for a beginner, IMO.

Academy has them listed online for $229.99 and I'd bet that during the holidays they'll knock a little off that:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5uymeb

I own a Henry .17hmr so I can't speak to accuracy of the .22. But it's a beautiful rifle, the action is slicker than snot and it's a blast to shoot; way more fun than my bolt action Marlin .22 mag. I think an argument could be made for either gun being better for a beginner. I think I'd want the Accutrigger on a Savage, but that's just me.

CRITGIT
November 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
Ruger 1022 or Savage MKII
She'll love either.

CRITGIT

hoosier8
November 9, 2008, 09:56 PM
Dawg, I agree on the lever action, fun and looks good. I ran across a used one at a local gun show for $179. I didn't pick it up because I had already spent my money.

Sinixter, the auto 22s tend to be picky about what ammo works. A bolt or lever action would probably be less irritating. I have a little semi-auto Henry Survival Rifle and found that the only thing it will cycle reliably is Remington Golden Bullet. Called Henry and that is the ammo they test their rifles with. Another guy at the range had a 22 on an AR platform and his was more forgiving but he had worked on it.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 10, 2008, 05:36 AM
I think the problem is there are TOO MANY SELECTIONS.

You want a 22?

In the olden days, you would have maybe several choices, period.

Stick with your budget and get something that will not intimidate her, or she will be ANTI-GUN!

regal
November 10, 2008, 07:07 AM
You should consider a Savage MKII in stainless steel with the black stock. This rifle will survive neglect, she will be able to pass it down to her kids, or grand kids.

Sinixstar
November 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
Stick with your budget and get something that will not intimidate her, or she will be ANTI-GUN!

That's why i've been very very careful through this process. :)

icebones
November 10, 2008, 11:02 PM
one of the ruger 10/22 carbines might work nicely.

i married a woman that is about 5' 2''
and i learned a long time ago that if a rifle feels too small and too short for me its just right for her.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
Quote:

That's why i've been very very careful through this process.

You can't go wrong AT ALL with a nice little Chipmunk. Make fun of it all you want, but I bet it is an accurate, reliable little gun. You can start her out with 22 shorts, then long, then long rifle.

ilbob
November 11, 2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know that there is really a bad choice.

I'd be inclined toward something that might be usable after she gets past the familiarization stage.

No reason she can't shoot a lever or semiauto during familiariazation. Might be best if she started out only loading one round at a time, but no reason to start out with a single shot rifle.

After some thought, maybe an AR7, or AK/AR appearing rifle is not the best of choices. ;)

I have a 10/22 and a Henry lever gun. Both would be good for a new shooter.

BayouBocephus
November 11, 2008, 02:34 PM
Try finding a H&R in a small caliber and that way if she wants to "graduate" to something bigger you can buy different barrels and not a whole new gun

The Janitor
November 11, 2008, 02:38 PM
Lever actions are fun. More safety features than a semi auto too.

Schleprok62
November 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
How about the Marlin 925 (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/925.asp)?? it's a wood bolt action, under $200...

I have a Model Five Remington and love it... it's in the same league as the CZ 452 American... I paid $269 for the European Walnut version...

Just One Shot
November 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
For an inexpensive 22 rifle the Marlin model 60 gets my vote. It's accuracy is second to none and with over 10 million sold since it's introduction there's no questioning it's durability.

I picked one up at MC Sports for $139.00 and it shoots like a dream. I have owned a couple of these in the past and I have never had an issue with quality. While it is a semi auto, it is a dependable yet inexpensive first gun for anyone who is just starting out.

Wolfgang2000
November 11, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'll have to cast my vote for the Ruger 10-22. My wife is 5'3" and the standard 10-22 fits her fine, but they do make a youth version.

If it were a young child or early teenager I would agree with the single shot. This is a adult female who is uneducated in firearms. There is no reason she can't be taught the proper handling of a modern rifle.

I agree with Cajun on getting what SHE likes. But when it comes to a 22 the 10-22 is hard to beat. Even if she doesn't like it you will have a good 22 to plink or practice with.

With these unsettling time approaching, something cheap to shoot is a good thing.

Sinixstar
November 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
Try finding a H&R in a small caliber and that way if she wants to "graduate" to something bigger you can buy different barrels and not a whole new gun

yea, but...
that's half the fun :)

Sinixstar
November 11, 2008, 04:34 PM
I agree with Cajun on getting what SHE likes. But when it comes to a 22 the 10-22 is hard to beat. Even if she doesn't like it you will have a good 22 to plink or practice with.

Yea, the issue is - she doesn't like ANY of 'em.
Wanted to go with a bolt because it's less.... "intimidating".

Still haven't had a chance to get up to some of the shops on my list to see what they have. A lot of it depends on the outcome of those trips. Not totally opposed to a semi-auto (i personally like 'em a lot), just wasn't my first choice for an intro.

woof
November 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think with a semi she will be intimidated when firing it the first time simply because after a shot it is immediately in fire mode again. A rifle that has to be cocked after every shot is inherently less scary (and safer) for a newcomer IMO.

22-rimfire
November 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
Savage Mark II is the one I'd recommend. I don't think you want a single shot and the semi-auto is up to you. The two semi-auto's that I would choose are the Marlin Model 60 (stainless w/composition stock) or Ruger 10/22 (also stainless w/ composition stock). I have a 10/22 with walnut stock and it is a really nice little rifle but not as accurate as the Savage.

In general, I'm not a big fan of rubber or plastic stocks but I dislike "hardwood" even more. The Savage Mark II with a walnut stock runs around $450. Price jumps a bit due to the stock. But I almost bought the Marlin 60 with composition stock in stainless. Looks like a really nice rifle with that stock rather than the stained hardwood.

CZ 452 trainer might be one to consider as well in a bolt action. Regular CZ 452's with walnut stock run about $400. Everyone likes them however. I have one of them as well as the Savage Mark II Classic.

How about a lever action 22 rifle? Price is an issue with the Marlin 39A being arguably the best. The Henry is a nice rifle but they is a good bit of plastic on it. The Browning BL-22 is a really nice 22 rifle also and is a bit smaller and may fit a woman better. Maybe.

Tubular magazines are easier to load for new shooters.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 12, 2008, 05:25 AM
Ask for a response on what gun to buy and you will get as many different "gun opinions" than there are people commenting.

Get what she wants, not what you or everyone else wants.

ilbob
November 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
I think with a semi she will be intimidated when firing it the first time simply because after a shot it is immediately in fire mode again. A rifle that has to be cocked after every shot is inherently less scary (and safer) for a newcomer IMO.

A semi loaded with only one round has the same inherent benefit.

Lonest@r
November 12, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'm sure there is a middle of the road between $100, and $1200

REMINGTON MODEL 5 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_five.asp)

89906 .22 LR 5 22" 16" European Walnut Polished Blue 40 3/4" 6 3/4 $279 MSRP

Can be found here (http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/70851_Remington_Rifles/Shotguns__Five_Rifle_899.aspx) for $225, maybe less if you look around

+ a nice 'cheap' scope .....

Lonest@r
November 12, 2008, 09:38 AM
Here ya go...

Used Remington Model 5 .22 LR with scope (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115836317), $325

Remington Model 5 International 22 LR New (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=115404204) $205

cobra2411
November 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
Here's a savage bolt action...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/24975

Little more money, but WAY cooler IMO... I've introduced several people to shooting with cowboy guns that never would have wanted to if I handed them a Glock or AR. Now they enjoy shooting all kinds of guns...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_107/products_id/36596

You can also go to the local gun store and look at their used rack. One local to me had 30-40 22's in the 100-130 range almost all bolt action.

Also, don't think you'll toss the 22 if she moves up. You can get 550 rounds of Federal at Wally world for less then $14.... LOTS of cheap shooting there... :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Good first .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!