"Unfired" Russian SKS? What would YOU do?

PDA

doc540
November 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
edited

If you enjoyed reading about ""Unfired" Russian SKS? What would YOU do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
proven
November 9, 2008, 11:14 AM
i personally don't own any firearms that aren't users. the enjoyment for me comes from firing them. i would shoot it (occasionally), however, i would take very good care of it as well.

Taurus 617 CCW
November 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
+1 for shooting it but also taking care of it. When oiling it, use either Break Free CLP or Tetra Gun Grease (a little goes a long way).

arizona98tj
November 9, 2008, 11:35 AM
I wonder why the "Made in Russia" was written in English and not Cyrillic?

My Saiga, clearly has "Made in Russia" stamped on it but then again, it was manufactured to be imported to the USA.

In 1954, the cold war was going strong and to think Russia was "thinking ahead" of the chances of one of their SKS rifles being imported to the USA.....

crushbup
November 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
I see no value in a firearm that isn't shot, barring using it as a work of art for display on a wall (H&H rifles, then again, it wouldn't need to be a gun then, would it?). SKSs are not particularly beautiful, so I'd buy it and shoot it.

doc540
November 9, 2008, 11:40 AM
"edited

Claude Clay
November 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
"i would shoot it"
that's kinda cruel---shooting with it is much nicer

Starship1st
November 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
Shoot the thing! It was made to be shot and loved. :cool:

gvnwst
November 9, 2008, 06:07 PM
WARNING!!!!

Shooting good firearms has a tendancy to make them have little holes in them, and can be made unable to fire!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1 old 0311
November 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
Looks like it is numbers matching. That alone makes it VERY rare. Stash it, and buy a Yugo for a shooter.

doc540
November 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
edited

Auburn1992
November 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
Did they issue recoil pads with them?

Makes me think it's modified.

Pilot
November 9, 2008, 06:54 PM
Did they issue recoil pads with them?

Makes me think it's modified.

Nah, they're just go over the existing butt plate.

I have two just like that. Shoot it! They are not museum pieces.

mgregg85
November 9, 2008, 06:57 PM
Shoot that SKS, it isnt a Holland and Holland, it needs to be shot.

mgregg85
November 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
Shoot that SKS, it isnt a $120,000 Holland and Holland double rifle, it needs to be shot.

nathan
November 9, 2008, 07:07 PM
Hang it on the wall at your office or gunroom to appreciate. A good topic if friends and visitors come over your place. Get another one to shoot and as a beater.

Ignition Override
November 9, 2008, 07:18 PM
You can display it for all visitors to see.
But when news gets out-and it will-that you have one, a burglar duo may come by when you are gone.

Believe me, people talk about anything gossipy or unique, and some of the guys who listen are gangbangers and other professional drug users. "That guy has a high-powered assault rifle on his wall" "Sho' nuff?...so where dat dude live...?"
They might believe that it is an AK. Who cares?
A burglary is still a burglary. A widescreen tv and any handgun will also be a primary target. Otherwise, the master bedroom will be the first objective (women's jewelry and hanguns). My wife's stored jewelry was taken. We were gone for just one hour and the entire house was dark; de-powered by yanking out the thick, black power cable in front.

The nice guy who sold me my 'cherry' gun was offered $300 (sight unseen) for his SKS by a total stranger who appeared to be a gangbanger (if I remember correctly), and the seller figured out that the bad guys always hear about guns. He had only said something at work about about the gun being for sale.
Sold it to me for $200, to protect the gun's condition and keep it off the high-crime streets.

7Star
November 9, 2008, 07:25 PM
I guess that depends on if you have another sks. If you already have a shooter and are a collector save it. Personally, I can't keep em unshot...even though I have a couple I haven't got to yet.

MachIVshooter
November 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
Shoot it. The import markings pretty much negate any extra value it might have as an unfired unit. And I'm not aware of a fantastic market for unfired SKS's. It's not a century-old Colt Peacemaker or other such high-end collectible.

bannockburn
November 9, 2008, 09:29 PM
doc540

Well I got to admit that's one of the cleanest looking Russian SKS rifles I've ever seen. However, it's kind of like finding a well preserved Chevy Cavalier; they probably made a couple of million of them over the years, and they really don't carry that much cachet with them. I'd take great care of it, but I would definitely put that rifle to use as a shooter.

doc540
November 10, 2008, 01:28 AM
edited

lionking
November 10, 2008, 01:44 AM
My super nice condition rifles I shoot sparingly,I don't sling them through the woods,but every one of them I shoot sometimes....except 2,but they are way more rare than a SKS.

I use more beater upper ones to blast blast blast.In your case I would shoot it sparingly,and get a second SKS like a Yugo that will make you not feel guilty if you get a ding or shoot it with thousands of rounds.

Almond27
November 10, 2008, 03:21 AM
Doc I have a non refurb russian SKS and I got a norinco and I shoot the russian on occasion but blast the chinese one when I feel like burning some ammo

Anteater1717
November 10, 2008, 03:46 AM
Just shoot the damn thing, they aren't that rare. Nice looking SKS by the way.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71538&stc=1&d=1200900279

Vegas Silver
November 10, 2008, 04:42 AM
Doc,

Where do you keep coming up with these really nice rifles? I want one!

stubbicatt
November 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
It's a refurb judging by the "diver's flag" on the stock proceeding the cyrillic "B". If it is an arsenal refurb, you may rest assured it's been shot. A whole lot. Perhaps even broken or damaged at one time in its life, hence the re-arsenal process.

The made in Russia and CCCP serial number was stamped into the receiver by the importer, or his agent, to comply with US laws.

Shoot it and enjoy it.

Hutch
November 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Stubbi beat me to it...

The chances of a 1954 man'd SKS being truly unfired are about a gazillion to one against. It is nice and clean, and could be made to be so again, after firing it.

Just shoot it.

doc540
November 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
"edited

aka108
November 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'd hang on to it. Give the new politics a couple of years to see when things are going.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
Stash is my vote.

AmishFury
November 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
there is no such thing as an unfired milsurp

they all get fired before leaving the factory

possum
November 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
what would i do? i would break it in with about 5oords in a range trip, but i like to run my guns, and know that they are gonna work if i have to call on them. like the above poster stated, i don't have a gun that i don't use (hard use) generally.

QuietEarp
November 11, 2008, 01:51 PM
That is why I like my weapons and vehicles gently used before I get to them. If I had an unfired SKS I would be so conflicted. I guess it all depends on how badly you want to shoot that firearm. I want to shoot all the firearms I own but if something goes 50 years or so unfired it would be hard to be the first. The SKS is beautiful through its utility which is best seen in its use. I would shoot it if it was my only SKS. Also if I was on a desert island (or in any desert) and had that firearm and some ammo it would take me about 5 seconds to fire that gun. The SKS and I would both be much happier afterwards.

absolute0
November 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
A thread loses alot of its mojo for the first time reader when the OP edits (deletes) all of his posts :(

meef
November 11, 2008, 04:55 PM
edited

:cool:

Average Joe
November 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
Shoot it, or sell it to me, and I'll shoot it....

Neo-Luddite
November 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
'Unfired' is untested.

Unless it's packed in factory wrap and cosmo---shoot it.

Bartkowski
November 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
Ok? Could someone fill everyone in? I don't know why the original posts were deleted but now I have no clue what was said. Other than something about an unfired russian SKS.

thebaldguy
November 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think it might be a good idea to shoot a box or two through it just to make sure it works.

Oohrah
November 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
Amish Fury... Yeah, there is. However, very few. One milsurp I have in
unfired is a Remington 03A4, believe me unfired and one of the last 100,000
of 500,000. It lacks the rings and scope of the day, but the Redfield one
piece scope mount never had a scope mounted to it.
The SKS Russian were arsenal reconditioned during the 50s years.
I have one of those plus a Norinco that was new, but no special value on
this China version. Both get shot as there isn't much value at this time
for unfired one.
A few years back, Colt Pythons were around $800 or so new in the box.
This is the average price for a used one. Unfired is more than doubled.
Sometimes guns are not always made to be fired. Especially in the collector
realm. That same used one, fire away:D

BigBuckMaster
November 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
Holland & Holland rifles should NOT be put on a wall... they beg to be used. my wife and myself sure work the hell out of our two.

Monkeybear
November 13, 2008, 04:00 AM
Wonder why the OP removed all of his post?

If you enjoyed reading about ""Unfired" Russian SKS? What would YOU do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!