AR gas tube length- mid- versus rifle-length

PDA

SpookyPistolero
November 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi folks-

I'm trying to put together my first AR. (I've stepped into the dark side!) I'd like a longer gas length than the M4 style allows, so I was checking out some dissipator-type uppers.

CMMG has these in either a mid-length upper or rifle-length. I had assumed I would only be able to get the mid-length on a 16" barrel so I wasn't really prepared for this option. Google hasn't been that helpful to me here.

Can anyone tell me why one might be more preferable than the other? Is is allowing too much or a wasteful amount of time for cycling with the rifle-length upper?

Any links to cheaper but reliable uppers are also appreciated. :)

Thanks for the help -

Spooky

If you enjoyed reading about "AR gas tube length- mid- versus rifle-length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
November 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
If you already have a rifle length barrel, you may as well get a rifle length gas system. I'm no expert, but I can't really see the point of shortening the gas system when you don't have to do so.

Mike

mattw
November 9, 2008, 01:14 PM
The longer the gas system, the less of a beating your rifle is going to take. Rifle length gas systems are almost always better than shorter ones in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance. Bravo Company makes cheaper uppers that are just as good if not better, but they may be hard to find.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR gas tube length- mid- versus rifle-length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!