Best 6.8 Rifle for Home Defense

PDA

DetroitStudent
November 9, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey all,

Im in the market for a home defense rifle. Two recent break ins a few blocks away make me in the market for a solid, reliable AR-style rifle. That being said, I like the 6.8 for its balance between bore and recoil.

I have a few questions/concerns

1.) I have recently fired AR's on the range, and a few have had reliability problems. I have read a few posts on the reliability of the gas system on AR's. Which maker has the most reliable gas system for the 6.8 (besides barrett, as I cannot afford a 2500$ rifle)?

2.) Assuming I don't have alot of time for the range, which AR- type rifle would be best for SHTF/Breakin Scenario?

3.) Am I right to go for the AR design, or go AK? The reason I want to buy an AR type rifle is that I would rather support an American Company. Even so, utmost reliability is a requirement for home defense.

Thank you very much, Please tell me your thoughts as I look forward to

Detroit Student

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 6.8 Rifle for Home Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frog48
November 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
The Ruger Mini-14 is also available in 6.8 SPC.

gvnwst
November 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
um, any AR problems that are anything other than crappy magazines is with OLD ARs. Any maker of a 6.8 AR shouldbe good enough, bushmaster has one, i think RRA has one.

Float Pilot
November 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
My Stag 6.8 is very well made and reliable. The gas key needed to be properly staked.
Just take a wheel barrow of money when you need 6.8 ammo.

Remember that if you have to use it due to the crime in your area, your nice $1,000 rifle will be sitting in a police evidence locker for the next 3 years.

There is always something to be said for a $300 12 gauge.

Blacksmoke
November 9, 2008, 07:51 PM
Float Pilot makes a good point. Never use your best guns for self defense. Kind of counter intuitive. That is the best argument I can think of for buying more>

B.D. Turner
November 9, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 6.8 it is 100% reliable.

B.D. Turner
November 9, 2008, 07:57 PM
Just take a wheel barrow of money when you need 6.8 ammo.

No joke 6.8 is running a tad over a buck per pop. For a hunting rifle it's not too bad but its not something you are going to be shooting a bunch unless you have plenty of loot.

kcmarine
November 9, 2008, 08:55 PM
Not to call you clueless on your choice of the 6.8 for a home defense weapon, but that is overkill for use inside of a residence. You have to keep in mind that the bullet will keep going if and when they miss the intruder. If there's a person on the other side of your apartment wall or a house next to yours, you risk the bullet entering that house and injuring or killing someone inside. Most people choose a 12 gauge shotgun for home defense... it doesn't present as much overpenetration risk, and it will stop a man where he stands with a buckshot load 9 times out of 10.

HorseSoldier
November 9, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you've got limited time, funds and experience, I'd recommend starting with a 5.56mm AR, since you'll be able afford more ammunition to practice with. 6.8 Rem SPC is a very good cartridge, but the ability to run a rifle and score hits on a target is a more essential fundamental than ideal CQC cartridge selection. Two 5.56 rounds center of mass are a fight ender at defensive shooting sort of ranges.

24kshooter
November 9, 2008, 09:20 PM
Home defense - limited time to shoot - probably limited funds ='s a 12 ga. pump shotgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best 6.8 Rifle for Home Defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!