Hmm. What to get. Paratrooper or Russian

PDA

J_L_A
November 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
Russian SKS or Paratrooper SKS. What do you guys think? They're both around the same price and I like 'em both, but only can get one :(
btw...The Paratrooper has a thumbhole stock. Thanks for your time!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hmm. What to get. Paratrooper or Russian" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SimpleIsGood229
November 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
It depends what you want it for.

gripper
November 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
Is the Paratrooper one of the old Navy Arms imports???Does it have th eleft side scope base(was called it a Type89 IIRC)and th estandard 10 round ,fixed box??Or is it a detachable box(AK mag) version???
Is the Russian a laminate or a hardwood stock?Spike or a blade bayo?Tula marking?Older than a 1954 receiver cover date?
Check the firing pin on th eRussian-nine is an old Tula 1950 with a spring mounted firing pin...the extractor is NOT permanently pinned into the bolt body;but can be removed9watch that spingif it is!)
If the chicom has a stepped ,screwed in barrel snatch it ....hell ;you may be able to get both if the price is right!
Shorties can be fun to shoot;but the 20's shoot better in my hands;balance out price with the one that feels best to you . And have a blast at the range-SKS's have always been among my favorite "utility" rifles.Not perfect -but wide range of uses .

J_L_A
November 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Well....looks like it may be the Russian that I buy.
It has a star on top with an arrow inside. The date is 1953-R. And the price just went up to $330.00. Still a good price?

R.W.Dale
November 13, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have a cowboy companion A.K.A. "Paratrooper" SKS my example has a pinned barrel and I'll be the first to tell ya that it shoots like CRAP even after preforming all the tricks to improve accuracy.

So if I were you I'd ONLY consider the Norinco if the bbl is threaded.

Winston_Smith
November 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
I would go for the Russian.

WesM
November 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
+1 on the Russian. I would love to find a Russian at that price. I like my Norinco, but I just think it would be neat to have one of the "originals".

igorts
November 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
+1 for Russian

45B@cav
November 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
+1 Russian

Kino74
November 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
another +1 for the Russian

stubbicatt
November 14, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've owned several, as I prefer this platform to the AK in this cartridge. IME, the Russians are consistently better rifles.

I've read about early Sino-Soviet examples, and they sound like a collector's dream. However, I've never seen or handled one of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hmm. What to get. Paratrooper or Russian" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!