Keep or sell???

PDA

chriso
November 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
I have got a remington 700 sps in 300 wsm never even fired just sitting around... should i get rid of it or could i put a heavy barrel and a good stock on it and it be a good shooter??? what do you guys think???

If you enjoyed reading about "Keep or sell???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
November 9, 2008, 09:48 PM
I've never seen a reason for this caliber, I mean it, really. Because it is 2 to 300 fps faster than a 30.06 or 308? the only thing i see it for , is sniper/1000yd shooting, since a minimum criteria for such, is a rifle, firing a 180 grain minimum bullet, and doing at least 3000fps from the muzzle.
Now then, you can buy factory ammo to do this, but it is costly. However, with say a strong action rifle, such as a CZ, and if you handload, you can proly get a 30.06 to do this, for much cheaper.

chriso
November 9, 2008, 09:50 PM
I already have a 308 platform thats why im saying i dont know if i should keep it and turn it into a long range platform or just trade it for a ar lower or upper or somthing...

Shawnee
November 9, 2008, 09:57 PM
+1 for Rangerruck's comments. I've never seen any real reason for any of the wsm cartridges.

:cool:

chriso
November 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
I put it in the rifles for sale forum to see if anyone wants to trade anything for it... I was thinking about throwing a heavy barrel on it and a good stock but... maybe ill just get another rifle...

mtlucas0311
November 9, 2008, 10:40 PM
real reason #1: everybody wants to be special.
How many posts have you seen where some one wants a rifle in something besides .308 to shoot long range but not break the bank.
They don't want to be "another guy with the same old caliber"
Cook up something that looks exotic with marginal performance advantage, they will buy it to be different. I don't think it's fair to blame them (manufacturers) though, it's a very competitive business.

chriso
November 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
hmmm...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 9, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'd probably sell while the WSMs are still *somewhat* popular, and use proceeds to get what you want, instead of spending more money to re-barrel and such.

mtlucas0311
November 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hope you didn't take that the wrong way chriso, I was mainly responding to the "why did they..." posts. Just my little conspiracy theory. I was lickin' a few windows the other week contemplating a 700 PSS in 300 RUM. Your mind starts to wander...more case volume....heavier bullet...same velocity as 150 grainer...stand on mountain with rifle over head yelling "Wolverines!!!". This gun hobby thing is a disease I swear.

TonyDedo
November 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
I say that an unfired rifle is like a neglected pet - if you're not going to give it the love and attention it deserves, it's time to let it go to someone who will.

The exception being collectible firearms or those with strong sentimental value. But if it's a shooter that's not bring shot, than sell it to someone who will shoot it.

ArmedBear
November 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
The problem with the .300 WSM's is that they tend to come in relatively heavy guns with long barrels, therefore making them no different, for all practical purposes, from a .300 Win Mag.

If the .300 WSM really offered .300 WM performance from a sub-7 lb., sub-40" .308-style light rifle (Model 7, 70 Featherweight, etc.), it might have really taken off. Otherwise, though, if you're going to get a heavy barrel, might as well get a .300 WM.

chriso
November 10, 2008, 12:45 AM
Some guys on the hide gave me the idea of rebarreling it for 7mm wsm said it has good BC and should make a good long range shooter better than 308 anyways... but I do want a AR...

Art Eatman
November 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
If you're not gonna use it, it's trading material. Seems to me the first two things to think about are "Whatcha gonna use it for, really?" and then the suitable combo of gun/cartridge.

Personal opinion, but if you're not already handloading, long-range efforts are going to get expensive. It takes a bunch of learning which means a bunch of shooting.

If you do your own loading, you already have what at worst would be a "starter gun". :)

Get good with what you have, and then work up...

moooose102
November 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
why did you buy it in the first place if you really have no use for it??? sell it! buy something you need.

Browning
November 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
Personally I'd sell it for this reason too.

rangerruck : I've never seen a reason for this caliber, I mean it, really. Because it is 2 to 300 fps faster than a 30.06 or 308?

Plus you don't seem all that attached to it since you haven't even shot it and it's just sitting there.

Might as well get your money back out of it and buy something that you will shoot.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

You might want to add a poll, you'll get more feedback this way.

I think that you can still do that later on even though you've already created this thread.

Papaster
November 10, 2008, 01:45 PM
If you're not shooting it now, definitely don't sink more money into it. Find your good shooter in a trade.

chriso
November 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
I put it up for a trade hopefully ill get some bites... Well at first i bought it to make a starting precision rifle but I ended up going with a 308 so it just kinda sat there...

If you enjoyed reading about "Keep or sell???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!