Gunsmithing a paperless rifle

PDA

rbernie
November 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
Is a gunsmith required to log in a receiver for work if the receiver is pre-1898 and therefore paperless? I was having this discussion with my gunsmith, who stated that he was required to log in all 'firearm' receivers for work that stayed overnight. In reflection, I seem to recall that Federal law defines 'firearm' receivers as post-98, leading me to wonder if he was prohibited from logging in pre-98 stuff....

ETA - what about BP firearms? Do those need to get logged in, or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmithing a paperless rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mp510
November 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
They are not prohibited from logging an antique firearm into their A&D book, but they are not required too either. They could also log it in, and then remove it by noting its antique/non-gun status. Sometimes, when a guns status is iffy (or if there is a question about when it was made that could affect its antique status), licensees will treat them like modern guns.

BHP FAN
November 9, 2008, 10:24 PM
I hade the same argument when I bought an 1888 .38 S&W breaktop revolver.the dealer was all ''it shoots metallic cartridges,so it's gotta be papered'',so I'm lookin' at him and saying a ''.56-50 Spencer has to be papered''?

rbernie
November 9, 2008, 10:31 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were actual penalties levied by the F Troop for putting extraneous records in the book - not true?

mallc
November 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
and mark the SN as NONE.

Scott

GRIZ22
November 9, 2008, 11:15 PM
I hade the same argument when I bought an 1888 .38 S&W breaktop revolver.the dealer was all ''it shoots metallic cartridges,so it's gotta be papered'',so I'm lookin' at him and saying a ''.56-50 Spencer has to be papered''?

That's probably due to state law. Some states treat any firearm that ammunition is readily available as a modern firearm. That original 1873 Colt or S&W No. 1 would be treated in this manner.

jonsidneyb
November 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hmmm,

I didn't realize that that information was required for gunsmithing. I that only for purchase.

BHP FAN
November 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
I eventually bought it,his winning argument was '' it was papered to me,so I gotta paper it to you...''

mp510
November 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that there were actual penalties levied by the F Troop for putting extraneous records in the book - not true?
My understanding is that they can log in antique firearms, however they can't use their A&D book to log other (non-gun) merchandise.

Riss
November 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
I didn't realize that that information was required for gunsmithing. An FFL must log everything. A "licensed gunsmith" still needs to enter everything into his book if he keeps it after you leave and gives it back to you later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunsmithing a paperless rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!