STG58 less desirable than another FAL?

PDA

lionking
November 9, 2008, 10:57 PM
Noticed that DSA stg series in particular don't seem wanted by people as much as their other FAL's.Other than the muzzle end is there any difference?

Oh and I think I saw somewhere that some FAL's can have a "A2" rear sight,are we talking the same M16A2 windage adjustable rear sight?On normal FAL's the windage is only on the front sight?thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "STG58 less desirable than another FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HorseSoldier
November 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'd put a DSA StG-58 above most of the alternatives out there, excepting DSA SA-58s, real/rare/pricey FN rifles, and kits built by knowledgable and skilled smiths out there.

Oh and I think I saw somewhere that some FAL's can have a "A2" rear sight,are we talking the same M16A2 windage adjustable rear sight?On normal FAL's the windage is only on the front sight?thanks

Yes. The "A2" rear sights are just that -- M16A2 style windage adjustable sights.

Windage adjustments on the original FAL sights are also done at the rear sight, but the design was intended for combat shooting and set up to be adjusted on the range during zero and then left alone. (Though the stock FAL sights are quickly and easily adjusted for range/bullet drop.)

lionking
November 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
I always heard Imbel receivers were good.How about a Imbel reciever with DSA SA58 new front end,would you go for that?,as in should the performance be as good as a a all DSA rifle?If it was priced the same as a all DSA STG58?

HorseSoldier
November 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
Sounds like a good deal, I think, as long as you know the source/builder is reputable.

evan price
November 10, 2008, 01:14 AM
One thing to remember is the FAL was built by contract by a lot of countries. The StG rifles were Austrian(Steyr). The Imbels were Brazilian. DS Arms bought the rights to make the FAL as well as a boatload of stuff from Steyr in Austria.

Excluding a few exceptions, nearly any FAL part will go onto any other. Steyr parts are held in high regard as well made. DSA's upper receivers are also well made.

The trick is in the final assembly.

Century Arms took a lot of nice Lithgow (Aussie) parts and attached them to in-spec Imbel (Brazilian) receivers and still managed to create the nickname "Angry Beaver Gunsmiths" despite using great parts. A good Fal'smith makes the difference between a rifle that is 100% reliable and will last versus a frankenfal that was WECSOG'ed in a basement with a ball-pien hammer.

I advise you go over and join The Fal Files and read up a bit.

Good luck with the FAL and I advise to stock up on mags as soon as you can.

lionking
November 10, 2008, 01:22 AM
Well Evan now you have me worried about a FAL I'm looking at with a Imbel reciever and DSA front end.Did DSA ever use Imbel recievers back in the day?I probably won't be able to find out who put this one together though I'll ask.

A Imbel should be metric and use DSA mags also right?

HorseSoldier
November 10, 2008, 01:37 AM
A Imbel should be metric and use DSA mags also right?

Imbel's are metric, as are DSA StG-58s and SA-58s. (Note though that DSA doesn't make mags, just sells surplus ones -- though the used Austrian mags they sell are good to go in my experience.)

I'm personally not sure if DSA ever used Imbel receivers -- as suggested, the FAL Files is a great resource for information. There are a couple very knowledgeable FAL guys who post here at THR, as well, so one of them may be able to answer your question.

evan price
November 10, 2008, 01:44 AM
lionking, how do you know it is a DSA front end?

Most FALs are metric with the exception of Commonwealth models. Metric mags are the most common out there. DSA has used Steyr mags for $10 a pop (I remember when they were $7 @ DSA and I cleaned Sarco out of them at $4 each).

I would say what you probably have is a mixmaster FAL. If matching parts is your desire, well, probably not.

Imbel upper receiver- might be an Imbel kit gun. Might have a DSA barrel. Without seeing the rifle we can't tell.

Figure $750 or so, plus or minus, would be a fair price for a parts gun. That does not include the "Obama Premium"... bear in mind the Imbel receiver is worth $350 all by itself, or thereabouts, and a good parts kit with a good barrel is easily $250 or more if it really is Steyr parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "STG58 less desirable than another FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!