Any ideas as to how old this holster is?

PDA

TomcatPC
November 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hello everyone

I found this holster at an antique shop for an entire $5(US). Does anyone here have any clue as to the general time frame it might be from? My guess is that it is Post-WWII and pre-late 1970's, but not sure. The revolver in it is a S&W Model 10-5 with 4" barrel.
Thanks Mark

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/TomcatPC/DSCN0934.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Any ideas as to how old this holster is?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TomcatPC
November 10, 2008, 01:39 AM
And the other side.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/TomcatPC/DSCN0935.jpg

GRIZ22
November 12, 2008, 02:57 AM
Looks like a Hunter Holster. they are still made I believe and are an inexpensive generic holster kind of like the Uncle Mike's generic nylon holsters.

TomcatPC
November 13, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for replying. I will do some searching for info. on Hunter Holsters. I do believe I have heard of them. Give me one place to start. I know this is a cheap holster, but I like it, it has some character...LOL. Meanwhile, if anyone else knows more, please let me know.
Thank You
Mark

Archie
November 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
I can't make out the manufacturer's name in the picture, but from the style, I'd say the time of manufacture is right about the same time as the production of that revolver. I'd give it middle to late '60s or so.

It might be a George Lawrence holster, by the way. Same basic design, but the Lawrence holsters were always very well marked.

TomcatPC
November 13, 2008, 01:26 AM
There is no company name on the holster. Only these numbers:

Not sure if that helps at all.
Thanks
Mark

rondog
November 13, 2008, 01:29 AM
Looks like a good deal for five clams!

TomcatPC
November 13, 2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, for $5...I am glad I snagged it. It is perfect for when I go out to my friend's farm and make noise with the S&W Model 10-5 that it contains in the photo...LOL. Would I trust this holster on an extended backpacking trip?, probably not. I have been trying to check out older holsters over the last month or so. Not sure why, I really never carry a revolver around other than when I go shooting. Anyway, I have more holsters than I do revolvers at this time...LOL.

I did a bit of checking online last night. Hunter's Holsters does still exist, although they were not as "cheap" as the Uncle Mike's Holsters I see. I did not see any holster than was close to the one in posted. Anyway, had fun looking.
Thanks
Mark

Bill B.
November 23, 2008, 07:01 AM
I seen the about exact match to your holster at a flea market yesterday with Red Head marked on the strap. I also like these old holster's with "character"! Those numbers do look like Hunter markings but they generally have Hunter stamped on them also. By the way Hunter holsters; {the old ones} like everything else have gone up in value. They are no longer cheap on eBay as some sell quite well.

TomcatPC
November 24, 2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will do a check for Red Head Holsters. I don't think I have heard of the company before. A week or so back I did more checking for older holsters and came across a holster that was very close to the one I posted. It was not 100% the same, but close enough it could have been made by the same company. What I remember was it was described as being from the 1920's or close to that time. I don't think the ad told the maker's name. Like an idiot, I don't recall the name of the site, but will do some more checking.
Thanks
Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Any ideas as to how old this holster is?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!