CCW Permit Replacing 4473 & BG Check @ Gun Store

PDA

Kind of Blued
November 10, 2008, 04:28 AM
This seems to make a lot of sense to me. It saves the FBI or the local investigative bureau time and money, and makes it a lot easier for the consumer. I have a question though:

My guess is that you still have to fill out a 4473 so big brother can check in on you later, but you don't have to wait for the background check to process. Correct?

I'm also not certain which states have adopted this practice. Your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Permit Replacing 4473 & BG Check @ Gun Store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
November 10, 2008, 04:34 AM
I don't know of any state where it replaces the 4473. There are some states where the permit can be accepted in place of the Brady check. Here's the list: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/bradylaw/permit_chart.htm

I don't know about other states, but in Utah, the dealers calls in your permit number to ensure it is valid. You still fill out the 4473.

GRIZ22
November 10, 2008, 02:16 PM
The 4473 is the Federal form that records the sale. CCW permits are issued by the state. You can use the permit fir ID to buy the gun and in some states in lieu of NICS but the 4473 is required to record the sale.

jmr40
November 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
It has always been that way here in Georgia. I fill out the 4473 and the dealer records my carry permit number on the form. Never been through a background check to buy a gun.

TexasRifleman
November 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
My guess is that you still have to fill out a 4473 so big brother can check in on you later, but you don't have to wait for the background check to process. Correct?

Sort of. The 4473 isn't supposed to be so big brother can check up on YOU later, rather it's so he can check up on your DEALER later.

If the CCW can be used in lieu of a NICS check the dealer still has to be able to prove where that firearm in his inventory went, and that's where the 4473 comes in.

rocinante
November 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
If you have a ccw permit in georgia they don't call it in. Pretty sure you fill the form out anyhow.

Larry E
November 10, 2008, 07:12 PM
Since most places that issue CCW's do a background check as part of the issuance of the CCW, calling in to NICS is sort of redundant. Filling out a 4473 has nothing to do with the background check unless you, uh, fib on the 4473 that is. Then you're guilty of a felony.

catfish101
November 10, 2008, 07:48 PM
In KY in depends on how new your CDW permit is. I fill out the paper work and walk out but people that still have older ones have to get called in on but if nothing is wrong they walk out with the gun. Paper work is still filled out.

The reason, I was told, is that any newer permitted people get checked periodically. Older permitted people don't get on "that list" till they get their CDW renewed.

Ron James
November 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
In Arizona your CCW permit removes the requirment for a background check.

Eightball
November 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
In KY in depends on how new your CDW permit is. I fill out the paper work and walk out but people that still have older ones have to get called in on but if nothing is wrong they walk out with the gun. Paper work is still filled out.

The reason, I was told, is that any newer permitted people get checked periodically. Older permitted people don't get on "that list" till they get their CDW renewed.There's a date that, after which, a call is not needed. Why? Dunno, that's just how it is.

But the CCW on the 4473 doesn't replace the 4473, only negates the need for a NICS check. 4473 is still an FFL-accountability measure, though.

JonB
November 10, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure in SD the CCW waves the waiting period, not sure about the background check. I didn't have my CCW at that point, so it didn't matter to me, but I remember the guy asking if I had one.

MT GUNNY
November 11, 2008, 01:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken every time a background check is done through NICS a Number is produced ?

In MT, CCP's have a NICS # on it,
Listed like: NTN #LLL-L#L

I have not had a NICS check for the past 5 firearms. I still had to fill out form though. On witch they write the NICS # from the CCP to the form.

Montana Has no waiting period.

Sinixstar
November 11, 2008, 01:55 AM
In Nevada, once you have CCW - you don't need additional background checks to purchase additional firearms.

Nevada's pretty easy going in terms of gun laws though.

Gottahaveone
November 11, 2008, 06:52 PM
It has always been that way here in Georgia. I fill out the 4473 and the dealer records my carry permit number on the form. Never been through a background check to buy a gun.

Ditto SC. Fill out the form and hand them the DL and CCW and they photocopy them and send me out the door.

Phil DeGraves
November 12, 2008, 09:27 AM
As TR said, the 4473 is not so "Big Brother" can check up on you. The 4473s stay in boxes at the gunstore. That info is NOT passed on to the Feds. It is an inventory control device and may be used as evidence in the case of a prohibited person who attempts to buy a firearm. It is NOT gun registration.

WoofersInc
November 12, 2008, 02:39 PM
In Nevada, once you have CCW - you don't need additional background checks to purchase additional firearms.

Nevada's pretty easy going in terms of gun laws though.

That's the way it was up until recently. ATF stopped it because not all of the sherriff's in each county were doing what they were supposed to be doing. Until it gets cleared up and all the sherriffs get on the same page we are back to having to have the NICS done.

7.62X25mm
November 12, 2008, 04:53 PM
Wash. state has a waiting period for handgun purchases which is waived for a valid CCW.

I'm pushing for a state issued CCW that's reciprocal in all states -- just like a driver's license.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Permit Replacing 4473 & BG Check @ Gun Store" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!