When is proposed legislature made publicly available?

PDA

Kind of Blued
November 10, 2008, 06:27 AM
*Mods, I meant to post this in "Legal". Forgive me. Move it if you find that prudent.*

How much time in advance, if any, will we know the exact wording of any possible legislation which is being presented? Is there a federal law that requires that proposed legislature be made publicly available a certain period of time before it is decided upon?

My concern is whether some legislation might ban the sale, manufacture, transfer, etc. of the prohibited items. Each instance essentially means a different reaction. Here are a few examples:

A ban on the "sale" means buy a few online, keep a receipt with the date of purchase, and pick them up at your FFL whenever they get there.

A ban on the "transfer" means buying the item online will do you no good if it can't be sent to your FFL "in time".

Does "transfer" legally (currently and in the past) mean that an FFL is involved, or can it mean a transfer from one individual to another?

A ban on the "manufacture" means it has to be built, or be able to be built before the legislation goes into effect. After that, prices go way up, and we auction off the last one, produced at midnight the day prior, for a ridiculous amount of money, like the last case of Wonka bars. ;)

I believe that the '94-'04 AWB only banned the "manufacture", but forced FTF sales into using the FFL process, correct?

If you enjoyed reading about "When is proposed legislature made publicly available?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
November 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
If you are not yet a member, join the National Rifle Association (NRA). Thereafter you will be informed of any new legislation before the ink is dry.

Frank Ettin
November 10, 2008, 05:03 PM
How much time in advance, if any, will we know the exact wording of any possible legislation which is being presented?...
The exact wording can change significantly between the time a piece of legislation is introduced and it's enacted (if it is). The legislative process can be long, and bills get amended multiple times as they go through the process. So in effect, we can't know the exact language of a law until the bill is finally passed by both Houses.

So I second the suggestion of joining the NRA. It's an important thing to do to help preserve the RKBA. And they actively monitor gun legislation as it goes through the system and will keep members informed of status and changes to the language.

LickitySplit
November 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
Check http://thomas.loc.gov for exact bill language.

They usually have bills posted in a very timely manner once they receive it from the GPO.

Either enter a bill number (if you know it), or keyword in the search ("assault weapons", "guns", "firearms", etc).

I'll use the Congressional Record search on Thomas every now and then just to read what's up their sleeves and/or what could be coming down the road.

akodo
November 11, 2008, 01:50 AM
a bill is sumbitted

it is then immediately identified by number and catagorized as to which committiee it would fall under.

At that point it is public record. You could go down and phyiscally take a look at it. This being the internet age, I'd expect to see an electronic copy of it up that business day or the next.

Librarian
November 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
akodo and LickitySplit have it for the Feds: thomas.gov and a couple of business days to be posted after it's introduced.

Does "transfer" legally (currently and in the past) mean that an FFL is involved, or can it mean a transfer from one individual to another?Transfer means literally that, either with or without the FFL.

I believe that the '94-'04 AWB only banned the "manufacture", but forced FTF sales into using the FFL process, correct? No. FTF sales are legal in most places without the FFL; there are, of course, Some Significant Exceptions.

Old, sunset, no-longer-in-force 18 USC 922 (v) said 18 U.S.C. sec. 922 (v):

(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.

Nothing about those transfers of 'grandfathered' weapons through FFLs.

If you enjoyed reading about "When is proposed legislature made publicly available?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!