Help me decide.

PDA

harmonic
November 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Buy a Ruger Target mini 14 for $825 and put a really nice scope?

Or buy a S&W AR performance center gun for $1400, hide it from the wife, and only put a so-so scope on it?

(She gave me a $1k ceiling.)

BTW, I'm just looking for a plinker and once-every-two-years varmint gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
S&W AR, no question. You cannot get anywhere NEAR a "really nice scope" for $175 anyway, so given that that idea is futile (and that a Target mini is like putting lipstick on a pig), the AR is definitely the answer. Why not an $800 AR?

moooose102
November 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
you had better buy the ar soon if you are going to. i am certain it will be on obama's assault weapon list. of course, so will a lot of other guns. probably ANYTHING that is semi-automatic. or holds more than 4 rounds.

gvnwst
November 10, 2008, 12:07 PM

If varmints are at all in question, AR! Look at a cheaper one maybe, you will need a good scope for varminting. If you build it yourself, you can get a really accurate AR for less than $1,400.

FMJMIKE
November 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
You can get a nice bolt action rifle and scope for much less. It meets your stated use too.........:D

SwampWolf
November 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
I like FMJMIKE's suggestion- with the caveat, you might not be able to buy an AR-15 or its ilk after the incarnation of the "Chosen One".

Eyesac
November 12, 2008, 05:47 PM
the AR is definitely the answer. Why not an $800 AR?

Yeah why does it have to be a $1400 S&W?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me decide." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!