.45 colt C.O.L.?

PDA

1858rem
November 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
im shooting 255g lee cast rnfp and they are supposed to be loaded to 1.6 c.o.l but to crimp into the crimp groove puts them at 1.543, will this be any real problem?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 colt C.O.L.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
No.

The 1.600" OAL is not a Lee specification for the Lee bullet.
Lee doesn't bother to tell you that anywhere that I have ever seen.

1.600" measurement is SAAMI maximum OAL.
That insures a loaded round will not stick out the front of a revolver cylinder, or hang up in a lever-action.

Anyway, unless you are already on the ragged edge of a max load, seating deeper will not hurt a thing.

We have to assume they meant the bullet to be seated to the crimping groove.

Walkalong
November 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
It is normal to crimp into the cannelure on a jacketed bullet or the crimp groove on a lead bullet. That is how they are intended to be loaded.

cobra2411
November 10, 2008, 05:11 PM
Is there any problems using normal loads with the reduced internal volume? Any benefits to it? Many of the powders leave a lot of air space in the colt case, is it a problem to seat the bullet farther in to remove some of that airspace?

rcmodel
November 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
There is little if any lab tested data for deep seated bullets.

Pick a load out of any good reloading manual and follow it exactly for best results.

Most fast pistol powders that might be used in the .45 Colt will light off & burn just fine without regard to the excess case capacity.

Slow burning pistol powders used in the heavy Ruger-class loads generally fill the case completely.

Walkalong
November 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have tried deep seated bullets in .45 Colt cases. Pressures get up there in a big hurry. Not that it can not be done.

1858rem
February 20, 2009, 09:55 AM
I have tried deep seated bullets in .45 Colt cases. Pressures get up there in a big hurry. Not that it can not be done.

just got a chrono and my extreme spread was surprising, over 20 shots it went from a low of 850fps to a high of 1026 w/255g cast bullet, which i suppose was due partly to increasing leading near the end, as fore each 5 shot string it gained about 25 fps avg there were two shots one at 1021(shot #14) and the other at 1026 (shot #18), avg for 20 was 929fps and tossing out the 850(shot #1) the low was 879fps tossing out the two 1000+ it had a high of 989fps. 8"bbl too though. i weighed every charge last night and am gonna check that this mornin because previously i used the razor and lee dipper method at about 50rds in 20 min on a turret press, so i may need to improve my dipper skills.

now i can tyr different col and see the effects for real

chronos are so cool!!

Walkalong
February 20, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have done a good bit of "powder forward" "powder rearward" tests lately and some "fast" pistol powders will surprise you how much difference that makes. (ES numbers in excess of 400 in some cases) Be carefull and watch for squibs if you do this. I had to use a brass rod to knock out more than one stuck bullet.

supposed to be loaded to 1.6 c.o.l but to crimp into the crimp groove puts them at 1.543, will this be any real problem?
As to the original question, .057 difference in O.A.L. with that huge case is insignificant. :)

ArchAngelCD
February 21, 2009, 02:25 AM
We have to assume they meant the bullet to be seated to the crimping groove.
It is normal to crimp into the cannelure on a jacketed bullet or the crimp groove on a lead bullet.
That is how they are intended to be loaded.
Like said above, crimp in the crimp groove and you will be fine.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 colt C.O.L.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!