Is anybody here from Evansville, Ind.?

PDA

Jeff OTMG
September 17, 2003, 12:06 PM
If so are there any good gun shops in Evansville (good prices, good selection, good service, large). Are there any shops to be avoided (scalper prices, bad attitude, sell what they have not what you want)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is anybody here from Evansville, Ind.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Meowhead
September 17, 2003, 12:10 PM
Paging WebHobbit and Glocksman to thread number...uh...number...whatever number this thread is.

cordex
September 17, 2003, 12:32 PM
Paging WebHobbit and Glocksman to thread number...uh...number...whatever number this thread is.

Jeff OTMG
September 17, 2003, 10:11 PM
A little help here please.

Justin
September 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
Lived in E-ville a few years ago.
Avoid the gunshop downtown, Jojo's or Rayjo's or something like that. The guy who runs the place isn't very friendly.

There's a better shop that's over by the mall, behind a big locksmith's shop. (I forget the name.)

Note: This info is about 3 years out of date.

glocksman
September 17, 2003, 11:52 PM
I used to shop at A1 guns before he closed.
Nowadays, the best shop locally isn't in Evansville, it's in Kentucky.

Try Whittaker's Guns (http://www.whittakerguns.com/) outside of Owensboro. He works with an FFL holder in Warrick County, so you can buy handguns from him.

Failing that, Guns Unlimited isn't bad at all, but Whittaker's has a much larger selection.

Lived in E-ville a few years ago.
Avoid the gunshop downtown, Jojo's or Rayjo's or something like that. The guy who runs the place isn't very friendly.

There's a better shop that's over by the mall, behind a big locksmith's shop. (I forget the name.)

You're thinking of Rajo's. You're right, he isn't very friendly and his prices aren't very reasonable.

The one behind the locksmith's shop near the mall is called Strictly Shooting. It's not a bad place to go to. The prices aren't the best, but they aren't the worst by a long shot.

Want to shoot a genuine Uzi or HK MP5 or CAR15?

Strictly Shooting now rents machine guns for use on the range. :evil:

techmike
September 17, 2003, 11:56 PM
and still get there from time to time. Rayjo's on Franklin Street is the place to avoid. They are rude and the Prices are usually too high.

The shop I go to in Evansville is called Strictly Shooting and is located on Stockwell Road, behind Eastland mall. THey are a CLass III dealer and they do have a couple of sub guns you can rent and shoot at their indoor range.

The selection is o.k. and the service ranges from supurb to none at all depending on who is working.

I think their prices are a little bit high, but they are the best bet in Evansville.

If you get over to the KY side of the Ohio River I can point to to a supurb gunshop.

Let me know if you want to hook up and shoot sometime(and afterward I will point you at the best Beer and Pizza in town):D

tlhelmer
September 18, 2003, 10:12 PM
Strictly Shooting is the gunshop on the east side of the city. Rajos is on the west side of the city. Whitakers is really nice, but it is in Ky.

Miss Demeanors
September 19, 2003, 08:46 PM
Hey there Jeff! :D Eric from IN lives near there. Try dropping him an email. :)

Jeff OTMG
September 20, 2003, 06:25 AM
Well, look what the cat dragged in!!!

SapperLeader
September 20, 2003, 09:03 AM
for a long time. Theres a great gunshop in boonville, Ill call one of my friends this weekend and see if I can get the name and address for you.

techmike
September 20, 2003, 11:43 AM
Is the gunshop named "Ray's" or some such? The guy who runs it is a Coal miner..Great prices! Nice Guy. I haven't been there in years, but it wused to be a good place to buy guns. Are we thinking of the same place??

joshlm
September 20, 2003, 05:44 PM
I will have to give a little different perspective on this one I guess. I live in Mt Vernon, about 15 miles west of Evansville. I will only shop at rajo's. I have purchased one pistol from strictly shooting approximately one year ago, they called in the nics and i was delayed. I came back to pick-up the gun and asked if I could change my purchase for something better. The salesman informed me that he would only give me about half of my money back as it is now a used gun and would have to be sold as such. I will never by another firearm their again. On another occasion I went in and asked about lee reloading products. They informed me that I should buy a dillon. I told them that I was a college student and could not currently afford a dillon and wanted a lee press. They told me they cater to high end customers and could not help me. While my experience there may have been the salesmans fault I will no longer buy from them. However I will conceed that strictly shooting does have cheaper prices on reloading components, However the firearms are normaly priced slitly higher than Rajo's. I have ALWAYS been treated with a great deal of respect from ALL of the employees at Rajo's and this is of great value to me. At this point I would not care if his prices were slightly higher than the competitions. I will spend my dollar where it is most appreciated. No matter how small the purchase, the rajo's staff has never failed to tell me how much they appreciate my business. If I order something through them I can always count on it being their when they say it will be. They never make me feel like a second rate citizen because I want a $400 ruger instead of the $900 Kimber they think I should buy(strictly shooting). I had better stop my ranting now.:fire:

techmike
September 20, 2003, 07:11 PM
Wow...I don't blame you for being angry. I have been treated really well and SS and at times very poor at SS. At Rayjo's they are consistantly rude to me. I have been going there since the early 80's...I never liked their attitude but they had the best selection in town (After Sports World Co-Op was closed down anyway). Last time I was in there (and I will never go back) the guy Behind the counter asked what a Dirty Long Haired Hippie like me was doing in a gun shop. I had Very long hair, but I am the furthest thing away from a hippie you will ever see. Not to mention very clean. :D

I don't guess it really matters because Now that I live in KY I won't be buying guns from either of them.

techmike
September 20, 2003, 07:13 PM
http://www.whittakerguns.com/ is the best Gunshop in the Tri-State. Good service, friendly staff and good prices.!!!

joshlm
September 20, 2003, 10:26 PM
I guess everyone can have different experiences. I normaly stop in about once a week for something, maybe that is why they are nice to me. I have never been to whitikers, but a friend has been trying to get me to go. If i were to purchase something how do they go about doing the paperwork to give it to me in Indiana. does it cost more to get the gun transfered to another state?

techmike
September 21, 2003, 11:36 AM
I assume you would have to cover the shipping and maybe a few bucks to the dealer on the IN side. Talk to Darrell (owner) and I'm sure he will take care of you. His prices are usually low enopugh that you would still come out good having it sent to you.

glocksman
September 21, 2003, 01:14 PM
If you're buying a long gun from Whittakers, you don't have to go through his Indiana dealer. You can take possession on the spot.

Handguns are what he has to transfer through an FFL holder to an Indiana resident.

When the AWB sunsets, guess who's heading to Whittakers? :D

Jeff OTMG
September 21, 2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am headed to Evansville for the new convention center gun show on 10/3 and 10/4. I was looking for a shop in Evansville to stock RBCD ammo and I find the best way to avoid bad shops is to ask local shooters. I did the same thing in Indianapolis which is why you will never see RBCD in Don's Guns.

Luku
April 14, 2005, 02:16 AM
Just my opinion, but I have always been treated with respect at Rajos. The people seem friendly at Rajos.

Griff
April 14, 2005, 03:55 AM
Raised nearby in Centerville, not much there. It might be worth your time to try Abernathy's, 1834 Virginia Avenue, Connersville, IN 47331 (765) 825-9072. Class 3, Factory, Cop trade-ins, service, etc.

Luku
April 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
I have 2 questions:

Are there any good local gun shops near Henderson, Ky?

Where do you all shoot at? I have only been shooting at Strictly Shooting's indoor range.

Justin
April 14, 2005, 06:35 PM
Check into Red Brush Rifle Range. It's off that highway that runs between Booneville and Alcoa. Private club, nice facilities. (Or at least that's how it was several years ago.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Is anybody here from Evansville, Ind.?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!