I'm a reloader!!! Almost...

PDA

Intune
September 17, 2003, 12:16 PM
I did it, ordered a used Dillon SDB with .45acp & .44mag setup for $180 inc. shipping. I have the scale and digital calipers. I was going to order the Lee book 'cause it comes with a single stage press that I would like to use for 6.5 Swede & '06. I don't shoot near the # of rifle as pistol, so no 550 squawking! ;) Help me with some stuff guys!

1. Need one other reloading book for comparison of loads. Lyman?

2. Bullets for Super B'hawk .44 & Colt .45acp. PLINKING bullets. I'm not going to hotrod either load. Is lead a royal pib? Go with plated? Where to buy? Local store to save shipping?

3. Powder- Is there a powder that works well for both calibers? WW231?

4. Brass- I have a couple hundred of each but would like to get 1,000 bulk. Starline?

I know that these newbie questions get old after a while but I thank you for your time.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a reloader!!! Almost..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
September 17, 2003, 12:22 PM
2. Bullets for Super B'hawk .44 & Colt .45acp. PLINKING bullets. I'm not going to hotrod either load. Is lead a royal pib? Go with plated? Where to buy? Local store to save shipping?
No experience with lead in either caliber here, but I use a lot of plated bullets. I think Kcustom45 has played with both in his S&W 629, and he mentioned he didn't like cleaning the lead from the .44 mag.
Look at Universal Clays. Pretty good stuff.
Brass- I have a couple hundred of each but would like to get 1,000 bulk. Starline?
I like range brass for .45ACP (easy to tell when its bad, and very cheap). PopGuns is a good source for that (I think their website is popguns.com).
Not a lot of experience with .44mag, but I think range brass should work fine for that too, and it will be far less than Starline.

dandean316
September 17, 2003, 12:52 PM
?[QUOTE]1. Need one other reloading book for comparison of loads. Lyman?

4. Brass- I have a couple hundred of each but would like to get 1,000 bulk. Starline??[QUOTE]
From a newbie:
1. Lyman is a great book, but get as many as you can afford. Also, check into picking up some sheets where you buy powder - the manufactures usually give load data for their powders.

2. I use lead SWC for my .45 and have not had leading problems. I can get them cheaper than online and that doesn't even include shipping.

3. Powder for my .45 is Bullseye and 700X. I like light loads to practice cheap. I hear good things about Clays and WW231.

4. Ask your range to sell you some brass. It's usually cheaper than online and it's mostly once fired. But good luck finding .44 brass at the range though. Usually the revolver guys keep brass and the auto guys don't. I guess it's too much work picking up brass for them. If you load light range brass will be fine. If you go heavy, I'd get some Starline - just to be safe.

Bacchus
September 17, 2003, 01:15 PM
You may not need that much brass in the beginning, especially since a big savings in reloading is re-using brass.

Brian Williams
September 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
I have 45 colt and ACP and I use 231 and store bought 230gr LRN for ACP and 255 LSWC for Colt. these work great and are cheap, around $18 for a 1000. My Acp load is really a mid level load around 4.5gr 231??? and the Colt load is around 7 gr

45 Colt loads look here
http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

45 ACP loads look here
http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

Enjoy

I only have 100 45 Colt cases and 250 Acp cases cause I only shoot these occasionally. Where I shoot a lot more 357 and 38spec.

OBTW 231 meters very well thru my RCBS powder measure.

dandean316
September 17, 2003, 03:50 PM
I have 45 colt and ACP and I use 231 and store bought 230gr LRN for ACP and 255 LSWC for Colt. these work great and are cheap, around $18 for a 1000.

Where are you finding 1000 .45 for $18? Cheapest I found was around $21 for 500.

Jim Watson
September 17, 2003, 05:33 PM
1. Lyman is good, especially for cast bullets, since they have made molds the longest of anybody. As said, the powder companies provide free literature and most have data on www.

2. I load cast bullets in almost everything except FMJ and JHP 9mm and a few .45ACP for indoor low light shoots. Tennessee Valley Bullets are a good brand in this area, if you can find them at a store or Nashville show. Their www site is down, but I have seen them listed elsewhere, do a search. If you don't mind paying freight to get started, Laser Cast is good. Leading is not a real problem with good bullets. Elbow grease and a bronze brush will take out what you get and improve your character.

3. Win 231 is great for .45ACP and will do good loads in .44 Magnum equivalent to .44 Special to .45 Colt. For full power magnums try some 2400. It was good enough for Elmer Keith, it is good enough for you. But don't use as much as he did, the burn rate is higher than it was 40 years ago.

4. Starline brass is fine. Southern Belle Brass in Cordova has once fired .45 ACP but most of it is TZZ military and the primers are crimped which adds a step to the loading (once.)

Check
Southern Belle
http://www.southernbellebrass.com/

Midsouth
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Wideners
http://www.wideners.com

for sources in Tenn.

If they are in driving distance from you the savings on shipping might cancel out the sales tax and would certainly save the hazmat ripoff on powder and primers.

Intune
September 17, 2003, 06:15 PM
If anyone who knows me reads this, "Elbow grease and a bronze brush will take out what you get and improve your character." I will be receiving nothing but LEAD bullets for Christmas, Birthday, Federal holidays and the best one, General Principle, for the rest of my life. Thanks for the great info guys, it really helps. I'm excited about this whole new hobby.

Edward429451
September 17, 2003, 06:49 PM
1) Lyman's cast bullet handbook

2) I use lead almost exclusivly in 44 & 45. No pib. In fact lead is mandatory for the 44 (If you want to gain full versatility of the cartridge!)

3) If you're set on a single powder to use (and are going to load mid range) then Unique is it. Like the man said, 2400 rules for high end 44's. I use 2400 almost exclusively in 44's, and 231 for 45's.

4) Starlines good, but you know what? I haven't bought 44 or 45 brass in many years. It seems perpetual. Go shoot 200, bring back 250 it seems. Plus all my non handloader friends brass are belong to us!:D It stacks up.

5) Get the Keith mould for 44! 245 gr SWC (#429421)

Happy shootin':)

Hutch
September 18, 2003, 12:25 PM
Little tip fer ya on the .45 bullets. The 200gr RNFP is quite popular as a Cowboy Action Shooting bullet, and it has been my experience that they feed quite well in the .45ACP autos I've seen it shot in. In fact they shoot much better in the ACP's than the 200gr SWC's shoot in .45Colt. As many fans as the H&G 68 style bullet (200gr LSWC) has, I'm thru using it, in favor of the CAS bullet. 1 bullet, two uses.

Intune
September 22, 2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help, I hope I'm not wearing you guys out. Two lead bullets for my mild .44 mag load. Same hardness, different sizes. .429 and .430, does the '29 automatically leave less leading? Thanks for your patience, my SDB will be here this week and I want to be ready to load!

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm a reloader!!! Almost..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!