Total # of semi-auto rifles in the USA?

PDA

Howaido
November 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
I am just wondering if there are any numbers available on the total amount of EBRs that are in the United States. All the ARs, AKs, Mini14s, Garands, FN FALs, and any others you can think of combined. I wonder what the number would be. Can anyone make an educated guess?

I am wondering about the "common use" threshold.

If you enjoyed reading about "Total # of semi-auto rifles in the USA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
November 10, 2008, 05:52 PM
Millions. Literally millions.

TexasRifleman
November 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
Apparently it doubled last week :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 10, 2008, 05:59 PM
Educated guesstimate?

Probably in the neighborhood of 50-150 million.

There's 300 million people in the USA. I've got myself and several others covered, if the goal is one each (on average). :D

Eightball
November 10, 2008, 07:19 PM
Millions and millions---and more being bought every hour.

If that doesn't fit the "in common use at the time" bit, nothing will.

kcmarine
November 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
Eh. Doesn't seem like they'd have too good of a reason to jack with numbers like that.

Walkalong
November 10, 2008, 08:48 PM
A buttload. (That's a lot) Anyone have a clue as to real numbers?

amprecon
November 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
A rifle behind every blade of grass....... :)

pbrktrt
November 10, 2008, 11:39 PM
seems Yamamoto was correct.

elmerfudd
November 10, 2008, 11:46 PM
The last numbers I heard were that there were around 270,000,000 privately owned firearms in America. Now we can probably assume that around 1/3 of them are handguns and perhaps 2/3's of those are automatics.

As far as long guns go, there are still a buttload of hunting rifles, shotguns, .22's and bolt action milsurps out there. I would guess that military style semi-autos are probably around 20% of the rifles.

So if we start with 270,000,000 guns and figure that half are probably handguns or shotguns, we're down to 135,000,000 rifles. If 20% are EBR's of some variety, we're talking about 27,000,000 of them in circulation.

longdayjake
November 11, 2008, 01:04 AM
we're talking about 27,000,000 of them in circulation.

Crap! I only have 5 of them.

RP88
November 11, 2008, 01:16 AM
well, now, there are about 90 million people who own 270 million guns. That means about half of the adult population owns a number of guns that nearly matches the number of US citizens.

Given the surge in sales, I'd wager that by 2010 there will be a good 30+ million rifles out there that have at least two of the features.

Ignition Override
November 11, 2008, 01:41 AM
Pardon the naive, frank question, but IF Obama were foolish enough (and he is politically-so far-very smart:cool:) to pursue another AWB, which politically damaged both Clinton and Gore due to 'wasted political capital', would it hurt mostly gun business owners or individuals who don't already have some of these?

I was 'asleep' during the AWB in the 90's (Rip Van Winkle), knew nothing (just ask my wife...) about it, owned just a .22 and used it once during a twenty four year span.
Speaking of the word 'wife', be really careful if your request to 'call your cell phone' about 'ammo shipping policy to a friend' requires your e-mail address. They will ignore it :cuss:and send an e-mail to your home....:scrutiny:read by your wife while you are gone.:o

Mini 14/30, two MN 44s, SKS.
Wish I also had two more SKS, AKs or Saigas, just to invest and gladly spite the 'far-left' Frank(enstein)/Pelosi/Biden etc
out of sheer unbridled contempt.

Mike U.
November 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
And with all those millions of evil guns, the demoplicans still think they can pass an AWB even stricter than the first one. :cuss:

I wonder what the congress-critters would think if a million man march descended on Washington D.C. all carrying their firearms? :what::what::what:
It would be a peaceful march, of course. :evil:

UnTainted
November 11, 2008, 02:39 AM
My wife, covering her frozen blade of grass:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2uqgepd.jpg

Sam Adams
November 11, 2008, 02:56 AM
I wonder what the congress-critters would think if a million man march descended on Washington D.C. all carrying their firearms?

Here's your answer: Bonus March.

The marchers would be met far from DC by the 82nd Airborne and many, many Marines. Those in DC, by whatever means, would likely be shot by DC police or helicopter gunships.

Remember, the Bonus Marchers were unarmed and MacArthur was unleashed upon them.

FLR72
November 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
I like the idea. A million gun owners descend on Washington to protest a new AWB, if / when it comes about.

I would definitely leave the guns at home someone will get stupid and the government would be ready..

RP88
November 12, 2008, 06:09 PM
Pardon the naive, frank question, but IF Obama were foolish enough (and he is politically-so far-very smart) to pursue another AWB, which politically damaged both Clinton and Gore due to 'wasted political capital', would it hurt mostly gun business owners or individuals who don't already have some of these?

Obama won't be the one pushing for it; some liberal incumbent with nothing else to do will.

But, the ban will pretty much hurt gun owners and business the same way the machine gun freeze did; it'll make them very profitable for ten or so years before the demand drops and no one wants them other than those who simply like the guns for personal and sentimental sake. If anything, business will love the ban because it will give them a good reason to increase prices by 50% and still sell everything off in a week.

And yes, it will hurt you if you don't already have pne, because you'll either have to pay alot of money to get one, or worse: you won't be able to at all.

SoCalShooter
November 12, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well I have myself and at least a squad sized element covered.

JImbothefiveth
November 12, 2008, 06:17 PM
Garands,
Since when are Garands EBR's?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
we're talking about 27,000,000 of them in circulation.

Come to think of it, that's probably closer to accurate than my estimate of 50-150M. I'd say 25-75 million, probably.

tmajors
November 12, 2008, 06:44 PM
Since when are Garands EBR's?

Why not, the M1 Carbine is, the Garand (and everything else) wouldn't be too far behind.

Mike U.
November 13, 2008, 05:06 AM
I like the idea. A million gun owners descend on Washington to protest a new AWB, if / when it comes about.

I would definitely leave the guns at home someone will get stupid and the government would be ready..

Your right. I have to keep reminding myself there are some real village idiots out there that own guns. Fortunately, I don't know any personally.

Million Man Gun-Owner's March...okay.
Please leave all firearms at home or far away from the march.

Kind of Blued
November 13, 2008, 05:25 AM
How about a 20 million man march? I wish America cared enough about the Constitution for that.

I wonder what it would look like from space... :scrutiny:

Art Eatman
November 13, 2008, 03:24 PM
Kind of Blue, I imagine most gun owners gotta be at work, instead of marching.

Another dab of guesstimates: Back during the run-up to GCA '68, it was estimated that there easily could be some 200 million personal firearms in the U.S. It was also estimated that some 40% of all homes had at least one firearm.

BATF records from 1993 on (I last checked this in 2003) showed ten years of some five million per year in new firearms into the U.S. market. Given the reaction to Clinton's AW ban, I'd bet that the percentage of sales for EBRs increased notably.

I have read that this year, NICS has checked some 7.8 million buyers.

Adding to subject, in terms of public behavior: We know that the number of training schools has increased a lot during these last dozen or so years. I'm curious as to increases in the numbers of schools in the last couple of years, and the increase in the number of students, this year.

cracked butt
November 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
out of 270,000,000 million guns:

My guestimates are that:

60% are handguns
40% are rifles
Out of the rifles, maybe 10% are semiautos
Out of the semiauto rifles, maybe 5% are military types (SKS, AR, AK, etc)

That would make a little over 1/2 million EBRs. I'm stillguessing that this number is a bit high.

Anotehr guestimate- I'd bet that few people who own an EBR has it as their only rifle, they probably own at least 5 rifles. I'd also guess that if a person owns a Garand, FAL, AK, SKS, AR, etc, they probably own at least one more rifle in that category. Currently, of the rifles I personally own, about 10% are military type semiautos- not counting extra receivers.

One of the interesting things is that over the last 4 years since the AWB sunsetted, is that the shelf space for EBRs in retailers has grown. Used to be that they might have had 1 or two as a curiosity at most, now they seem to take up 10% of the rifle shelf space at major retailers like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, Dunham's, etc... They wouldn't be taking up shelf space if they weren't selling.

jeff-10
November 13, 2008, 05:47 PM
That would make a little over 1/2 million EBRs

If you are counting the Mini-14 in there I think you number is falling really short.

JImbothefiveth
November 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think Gallup polling said around 20-25 % of people they polled owned a gun.

paintballdude902
November 13, 2008, 05:58 PM
Here's your answer: Bonus March.

The marchers would be met far from DC by the 82nd Airborne and many, many Marines. Those in DC, by whatever means, would likely be shot by DC police or helicopter gunships.

Remember, the Bonus Marchers were unarmed and MacArthur was unleashed upon them.

true but god knows te country has changed (for better and worse) the govt couldnt get away with that now there would be rioting and the news would say that the massacre was unneeded

who wants to get out and try this :)

General Geoff
November 13, 2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=238&issue=019

Between 1991-2006, U.S. total violent crime and murder rates decreased 38 percent and 42 percent, respectively and preliminary reports from the FBI indicate that rates dropped further in 2007.48 Meanwhile, the number of privately-owned firearms has risen by more than 75 million, about one-third of them being semi-automatics, and about 15 percent of semi-automatics being “assault weapons.”49

So just from the number of newly manufactured (since 1991) EBRs, the number would be 3.75 million.

DRYHUMOR
November 13, 2008, 07:30 PM
There's more than all the gnats on dog's butts on a sultry summer day!

And maybe more than all the railroad ties under all the tracks in America.

Just guessing :rolleyes:

The Wiry Irishman
November 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
If only 4 million gun owners have bothered to spend 35 dollars or less from the comfort of their own homes to join the NRA, (1 or 2 million more if you count other pro-2a orgs) I'm not optimistic about the turnout of a "million gun owner" march that would require spending several hundred dollars on gas or a plane ticket and a trip across the country.

If you enjoyed reading about "Total # of semi-auto rifles in the USA?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!