What loads for a Taurus Raging Bull in 45Colt (NOT 454)

PDA

mtnbkr
September 17, 2003, 01:23 PM
My dad has a 6" RB in 45Colt. He is working up loads for it, but not sure how far he can/should go. According to Taurus, he should not load anything warmer than Cowboy Action shooting loads. I find it hard to believe that this gun cannot handle warmer loads. Not Ruger level loads, but a happy medium... Afterall, it share a frame with the 454 (plus, it's ported, a waste on such light loads).

He just wants a little more pep for punching paper and knocking down bowling pins. His most recent load (8gr Unique with 250gr flat point) was an improvement in both accuracy and fun, yet felt like a 22lr out of that big gun. IIRC, 8gr of Unique was listed as the max in the guide he has.

Any ideas?

Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "What loads for a Taurus Raging Bull in 45Colt (NOT 454)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigG
September 17, 2003, 01:36 PM
Just a guess, but it may be that the BRASS is the limiting factor. The 45 Colt is an old blackpowder cartridge and the case may be too thin to take the pressure of a heavy load without blowing out. By contrast, the 454 Casull case is modern, thick and capable of taking high pressures. Your dad could always take 454 Casull cases and load them DOWN to what he considered a reasonable load.

Brian Williams
September 17, 2003, 01:55 PM
Just a guess, but it may be that the BRASS is the limiting factor. The 45 Colt is an old blackpowder cartridge and the case may be too thin to take the pressure of a heavy load without blowing out. By contrast, the 454 Casull case is modern, thick and capable of taking high pressures. Your dad could always take 454 Casull cases and load them DOWN to what he considered a reasonable load.

BULL!!!!!!! Read anything by John Taffin and his 45 Colt loads and follow that up with stuff by Paco Kelly

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

http://www.handloads.com/articles/45coltheavybullets.asp
http://www.handloads.com/articles/45lc.asp

mtnbkr
September 17, 2003, 01:59 PM
Brass shouldn't be an issue. Hot loaded 45Colt's are not an uncommon thing. Heck, my loadbooks and several online resources have separate sections for hot loads in Rugers, Freedom Arms, and Contenders. In the right gun, you can duplicate 44mag loads in a 45Colt. That's not what we're trying to do though.

One would think this gun is stronger than a Colt SAA (what the standard Colt loads are targeted towards) and could handled slightly warmer loads.

Chris

mtnbkr
September 17, 2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks perfessr, found this tidbit at the bottom of one of your links:

Taurus also chambers the large frame Raging Bull in 45 Colt to compliment their medium version. This massive piece is basically a 6 shot version of their 5 shot 454 Casull, again more than strong enough for these loads.

Chris

BigG
September 17, 2003, 02:09 PM
Gee, mtnbkr, since you know everything already, why did you ask? :uhoh:

mtnbkr
September 17, 2003, 02:44 PM
Gee, mtnbkr, since you know everything already, why did you ask

Because I was looking for information from people who had done it before with the gun in question. I know what is possible (and safe) in Rugers and SAA style guns, but I'm new to the Raging Bull.

Chris

Steve Smith
September 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
BULL!!!!!!! Read anything by John Taffin and his 45 Colt loads and follow that up with stuff by Paco Kelly

And follow that up with some reading from John Linebaugh at www.sixgunner.com

Baloon head cases have net been used for over 40 years. Modern .45 Colt brass is solid head, just as any other centerfire cartridge is today.

I don't understand why Taurus is saying nothing over cowboy loads. Makes no sense. If I were doing it, I'd start testing it up to the level I put through my Ruger Bisley, which is to say 325s at 1300 fps. I wouldn't start there, of course, but I might end up there.

C.R.Sam
September 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
I would second (or third) source all info.
There might be a reason for the Taurus warning...
Maby cause , even tho the gun is stout, the sixth hole weakens the cylinder.

A call or letter to Taurus politely asking for information would not be out of order.

Sam

Futo Inu
September 19, 2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, that's the reason, seems to me. One more hole in cylinder=less metal between holes=less pressure it can handle.

mtnbkr
September 19, 2003, 07:48 AM
There are 6shot 45Colt revolvers that can handle higher pressures. I'm not saying this one is built for Ruger Blackhawk (another 6shot) loads, but it should be stronger than a Colt SAA (for which the current factory loads are made for).

Chris

Johnny Guest
September 19, 2003, 10:54 AM
Taurus has developed this current pattern of naming their DA revolvers for anger management-impaired creatures- - -

Raging Bull .454 Casull
Raging Hornet .22 Hornet

Do they have one chambered for .22 RF? Raging Flea, perhaps?

Anyhow, if the .454 is the R. BULL, mebbe the same 'volver in .45 Colt should be - -
>
>
>
(Wait for it)
>
>The RAGING STEER!

:D
Johnny

WESHOOT2
September 20, 2003, 06:51 AM
E-mail direct; all very

dangerous.....................

c_yeager
September 20, 2003, 10:03 AM
RULE #1 of reloading, if the manufacture of your gun says its a dangerous idea they pobably have at least SOME idea of what they are talking about. A six shot revolver is different from a five shot revolver regardless of wether or not they share a frame.

Steve Smith
September 20, 2003, 06:12 PM
I'd love to be your test bed. Send it to be and I'll tell you how hot you can load it. You'll have to buy a new gun, of course.

If you enjoyed reading about "What loads for a Taurus Raging Bull in 45Colt (NOT 454)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!