Most progun movie ever, The Strangers?

PDA

TeamPrecisionIT
November 10, 2008, 10:14 PM
I know we had a thread about this not long ago, but since its a sort of new movie I wanted to talk about it. "The Strangers" has been changing the minds of every single anti I know that now wants a gun (or more usually, A LOT of guns) in their house. I have even had one come up to me and ask about teaching their kids to shoot as well as to teach them how to reload (which is something I don't know how to do, yet). Has anyone had this happen to them as well??

Damian

If you enjoyed reading about "Most progun movie ever, The Strangers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Auburn1992
November 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
I just really wish they would have USED the gun effectively.

Cypress
November 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
So uh... Did the chick die or what?

gregthehand
November 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
I guess I'll have to rent this now.....

Wasn't it based on true events?

marktx
November 10, 2008, 10:36 PM
Haven't seen it as the genre doesn't appeal to me but every time I see the trailer I think that it would be a much shorter movie had the victims been properly armed and willing to defend themselves.

My impression (prejudiced) of most movies of that genre portray weapons as likely to be turned against the person trying to defend themselves. I take it from your post that The Strangers doesn't present that message? If it could be a positive medium for promoting self defense I might just have to give it a try.

Prepster
November 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
I really didn't see it as pro-gun. I don't wish to spoil anything, but the way in which the gun is used makes me feel this way.

indoorsoccerfrea
November 10, 2008, 10:38 PM
haha that was a great movie, i can definantly see that as pro-gun. and yes, those events more or less did take place

indoorsoccerfrea
November 10, 2008, 10:50 PM
hmm...idk about that

Golden Hound
November 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
It can't be more pro-gun than The Postman.

Loomis
November 10, 2008, 10:58 PM
War movies are not pro gun. Guns are necessary in war...not necessary in peace...that will be the ani-gun crowd's point of view.

THerefore, red dawn is not a pro gun movie.

Vigilante movies are not pro-gun movies since vigilante-ism is technically illegal.

Law enforcement movies are not pro gun since law enforcement is not civilians.

A true pro gun movie would be one in which an ordinary citizen, legally owning a firearm, successfully defends one's self and/or others legally and proficiently with his or her personal firearm and is portrayed as a hero for doing so.

JWarren
November 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
That was a seriously messed-up movie.

Mainly because I live in the woods.

It WAS pro-gun if you are the type of person who has it in them to actually defend themselves. Many are not.

I saw it more as a lesson on actually knowing how to USE a firearm. What what the guy's line?

Oh.. "I'm not even sure if I know how to load this thing."

The anti-gun groups will use that as an example of how having a firearm in the house is more likely to have harmful, unintended consequences or just get taken away from you.

Well, yeah... if you are an anti-gun idiot who carries and uses the firearm with utter distain for it. Its hard to argue with weenies from the point of view of actually having ANY amount of spine.

The people in the movie were idiots. Idiots will see themselves as those in the movie-- and rightfully so. Idiots at least recognize themselves. However, they NEED to project thier own idiocy onto others to feel better about themselves.

No, MOST firearms owners are not like you, Paul Helmke.

-- John

Auburn1992
November 10, 2008, 11:05 PM
Wasn't it based on true events?

Not really. The director syas it was because of some 'events' that happened in his childhood.

These events were a stranger knocking on his door and him not knowing who it was :rolleyes:

freeman17
November 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
There was one thing I did like about this scary movie, that all the other scary movies NEVER DO!

!!---------S P O I L E R S----------!!!

I loved how they actually put themselves in the room with the gun, only letting the bad guys come in through one possible entrance. I always hated how scary movies, they always go LOOKING for the bad guy. If someone is trying to kill me, I'm setting up a camping spot for cripes sake!

CannibalCrowley
November 10, 2008, 11:16 PM
Not really. The director syas it was because of some 'events' that happened in his childhood.

These events were a stranger knocking on his door and him not knowing who it was

No, it was a compilation of two separate events. There were several break-ins in his vacation neighborhood when he was younger and he got to thinking about what might happen if the homes were occupied at the time. The other inspiration was the Sharon Tate slayings.

Ruggles
November 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strangers

For what it is worth. Seems more fiction than fact according to this.

bmxr4life87
November 11, 2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah it just made me mad how HORRIBLY they mishandled theirselves but i guess if it was more realistic it wouldnt be nearly as exciting!

TeamPrecisionIT
November 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
Oh yeah, and all of you should tell your friends, if they are coming to check on you, to announce their presence somehow. "Hey, its me, not the boogeyman!"

Damian

bthest86
November 11, 2008, 02:02 AM
**SPOILER**

How is it pro-gun? He shoots and kills his friend and never hits a single "stranger." What kind of pro-gun message would that convey to a fence sitter or anti? If you know enough to pick apart the mistakes and "what not to do with a gun" then you're probably a gunner already.

I didn't like the movie. It was unoriginal. Same dumb old mistakes by victims, same dumb old scare scenes and at times very boring. I can't believe the good reviews it got. I was rooting for "the strangers" since they seem to have more common sense than the two protagonists.

gotime242
November 11, 2008, 09:05 AM
I couldnt believe it turned into another "No, you stay here!! Ill go outside" movie. Ridiculous.

RKBABob
November 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
This movie perfectly illustrates the fact that a firearm is useless without a brain!

SCPigpen
November 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
That movie was filmed about 20 miles from my house. I was really hoping I'd see Liv Tyler while they were filming!!

Loomis
November 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
Johnny, it's a war. lot's of gun grabbers have participated in wars as soldiers and taken the lives of other soldiers.

A war movie is in no way a pro-gun movie any more than it is a pro-war movie.

Is a movie about a rapist a "pro-rapist" movie?

IncredibleGord
November 13, 2008, 01:46 AM
I think "Home Alone" would be about 10 mins long if the kid had a shotgun.

BHP FAN
November 13, 2008, 05:24 AM
true enough,but he would of burned his house down if he had molotovs....

FLoppyTOE
November 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
How is it pro-gun? He shoots and kills his friend and never hits a single "stranger." What kind of pro-gun message would that convey to a fence sitter or anti? If you know enough to pick apart the mistakes and "what not to do with a gun" then you're probably a gunner already.

Exactly what I was thinking. Antis don't look at the big picture. They will take one instance of unpleasantness and and ride it to death. Of course it is normally a skewed or partial version of the truth, but they wouldn't have a "point" if they didn't do that.

navajo
November 13, 2008, 06:12 PM
The Patriot.

Ragnar Danneskjold
November 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
The Strangers is the movie that made my gf finally decide to go to the range with me :)

TeamPrecisionIT
November 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
And that was my point. Not that the movie in particular was pro gun, but the feedback I have been getting from anti's about wanting to learn to shoot, get a gun, etc. has come from watching this film. I just found it interesting. Being a gunner, of course I saw the flaws in the movie, and yes I was doing the guy thing where I was talking out loud during the movie about what they should and shouldn't be doing. I seriously have a co-worker who came up to me and said "My wife wants me to buy a bunch of guns, start storing ammo, learn to hot wire a car and teach my two sons and her how to shoot and everything else, too. The only problem is, I am going to need your help in both the purchasing and training." LoL

Damian

Animal Mother
June 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
The protagonists in this movie made many monumental mistakes in judgement.

But FWIW, after seeing this movie my fiancee said she would like to take a defensive handgun training course, its now up to me to find one and get her enrolled.

vicdotcom
June 6, 2009, 04:39 PM
**SPOILER**

I didn't like the movie. It was unoriginal. Same dumb old mistakes by victims, same dumb old scare scenes and at times very boring. I can't believe the good reviews it got. I was rooting for "the strangers" since they seem to have more common sense than the two protagonists.

I think it is his friends fault for walking into a house without calling or introducing himself. ESPECIALLY when you see the car wreck outside, why would you skulk arround the house when you think your friends might be hurt??

Corporal K
June 6, 2009, 04:48 PM
It's not a pro-gun film. It's a somewhat realistic film about goblins attacking innocent people who have no way to call for help. Strangely enough, we hear about these kinds of things on the news all the time, but for some reason when it's portrayed in a movie, people start changing their behaviors.

Gamera
June 6, 2009, 04:54 PM
Ah yes, I recall seeing that movie in the cinema with my friend. We each have home defense guns and strategies and whatnot, so it wasn't scary. Most of the time we were like, "See! That's when I'd grab the 870 and barricade myself into the safe room!"

Dimis
June 7, 2009, 01:19 AM
The Strangers would probably run as EVERY member of my household is a gun owner and non of us are bad shots (even my 68 year old mother... actualy ESPECIALY my 68 year old mother)
if they dont run scared they dont get to run

i guess what im trying to get to is dont play ding dong ditch with a silly mask on and not come armed with something more than garden tools

never bring a pillow case to a gun fight with four or more people

danprkr
June 7, 2009, 10:20 AM
The Patriot.

Agreed. A regular citizen taking up arms, and arming his children against tyranny. Can't get more pro gun than that.

Another point - there have been a couple of movies lately put out by a church the latest being 'Fireproof.' These movies were both fairly successful financially. The church involved did them to put out a pro christian message. I wonder if something like that wouldn't be worthwhile for us gun/freedom loving types?

9x23
June 7, 2009, 11:38 AM
I just got through playing my favorite scenes from The Patriot at least 3 times each and my blood lust has been satisfied for today! :evil: LOL!

I'll let y'all squabble about what THE BEST pro gun movie is. I'll say The Patriot is definitely the second best pro gun movie there ever was!

Even though Vincent (Tom Cruise) was a BG in Collateral Damage, I still find his actions in the "Yo, homie...is that my briefcase?" scene not without some morally redeaming values! :D Excuse me, I think I'm going to go watch that 5 or 6 times too!.....9x23

mudriver
June 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
You should have people watch Vacancy. That'll get them to buy a gun and get a CCW.

llanite
June 7, 2009, 08:15 PM
Tremors.... now that was a pro-gun movie. Michael Gross and Reba McEntire with a .50 cal rifle.

Best line: 'Broke into the wrong damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard! '

rm86
June 7, 2009, 08:32 PM
9x23 I gotta thank you for reminding me about that awesome scene, it's been a while since I've watched that movie. Apparently tom cruise trained for months at the Gunsite Training Center prior to filming, he makes his technique look so easy in that scene.

Yo homie, is that my briefcase scene- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNPJ0fgWVY

Excuse me, I think I've got a few movies to watch :)

Walkalong
June 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
Tremors...First one was good. In the second one they made the gun guy look like a nut case.

BK
June 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
Most any movie where the good guy is victorious because he knew how to use this hardware.

Karl Hungus
June 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
There are a couple really bad horror films that have come out in the past year that would have been much shorter had the victims had guns and knew how to use them. Vacancy was even worse than The Strangers.

As far as The Strangers goes:

- how does that guy miss the male killer at five feet with a shotgun?

- the killers never use the gun against the victims. However - yes, the dopey male lead ends up mistakenly killing his best friend - which could be seen as an arguement aginst gun ownership. I see it more as an arguement against being stupid.

- it is a very derivitive movie . Had it come out before Halloween (the main film it ripped off) it would have been brilliant. I liked the soundtrack. I also liked the killer's motive. That's about it.

lechiffre
June 8, 2009, 12:06 AM
1. always have a BAT-SIGNAL on the roof of your house in case scarecrow shows up.

jackstinson
June 8, 2009, 09:23 AM
I haven't found anyone I know (including myself) who has been able to sit completely through that mind-numbingly boring movie.

blakeci
June 8, 2009, 05:38 PM
+1 on Tremors, Bert Gummer is one of my favorite movie characters of all time.:D

Xader
June 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
Another "would have been shorter if" movie was Funny Games.

**SPOILER**

If Tim Roth had been well-versed in defensive habdguns, he and his would have lived, and the sickos would be fertilizer.

mbt2001
June 8, 2009, 06:19 PM
Vacancy was a pro gun movie...

As a matter of fact, I now road trip with a JIC kit in addition to my standard compliment of weapons because I saw that movie. Dead scary, sort of realistic, especially in the depraved gore / death / dying loving culture that the kids we are raising live in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLHXQ2qXL1Q

I stayed at a motel like that once... Obviously they were not killers or the .357 on the nightstand gave them pause, but it is one of those movies that when you watch you kind of go huh...

Anyone got any other suggestions for good horror movies? I mean modern stuff, not the boring Night of the Living Dead crap.

EDIT -

The MOST pro gun movie I think would be Schindler's List. Just saying....

9x23
June 8, 2009, 06:52 PM
Almost forgot - History of Violence with Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris and Maria Bello - WOW!!!

Three terriific gunfights: In his diner - in his front yard - at his brother's house. All of it was believable and skillfully done, except where he snaps a guys neck at his brother's home.

A good non-gun scene was when Tom's (Viggo's) son opens a can of whoopaz on a bully that had been riding him the whole school year.

I'm surprised about how few people have seen this film. Don't miss an opportunity to see this movie. Damn, now I'm going to have to watch this one 5 or six times too - right now! :D.....9x23

Rogue6
June 8, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm a reservist heading out for my third deployment, and each time before I leave for long periods of time I take my wife to the range to refresh her on how to use the handgun I keep out for home defense.

After seeing this movie she said "I have to remember to insert the magazine, charge the weapon, take it off safe, thumb back the hammer (if you want a likely first round hit), put the front sight on the target, and press the trigger. I'm worried I'll forget something. Isn't there a gun I can just point and shoot?"

So... She's now the proud owner of short-barreled 20 guage side-by-side. Maybe not the most romantic birthday present, but she seemed happy with it.

Maybe that movie will do some good.

Burrhead51
June 9, 2009, 12:08 AM
I haven't seen this movie but I can see I need to add it to my list. It's as I have told my wife on numerous occasions "don't have a gun available in the house if you will not use it" Most people in our nation today have had an easy life and would be hesitant to use one when it is needed. I practice with my 45 and 357 as often as I can, it's fun but there is a practical side to it. Some buy a gun and don't practice with it. They just load it and throw it in a draw so when it's needed well you get the image. I doubt if anyone here would take that stance with a weapon or home defense.

TeamPrecisionIT
June 9, 2009, 08:51 AM
Patriot is definitely pro-gun but in more of a pride and political defense type of way, where Vacancy and The Strangers was more along the lines of self-preservation and just fighting for your survival and not much more. So they are all pro gun, just in different ways.

I actually have been watching the Patriot a lot lately, what a great film as a whole with excellent acting and everything. Next up on my retro-esque (just meaning movies I have already seen and enjoyed, not 'old' movies) film trip, Braveheart.

Damian

9x23
June 9, 2009, 11:00 AM
TeamPrecisionIT
Patriot is definitely pro-gun but in more of a pride and political defense type of way,...

In the scenes just before Mel Gibsonís fist shoot-em-up, he was treating both Colonial and British wounded soldiers when Col. Tavington arrived and killed Gibson's defenseless child. At that point I felt that his motivation was vengeance for his murdered son and to save his eldest son from the same fate.

Its only later that his motivation turns to patriotism - just my spin on it.....9x23

llanite
June 9, 2009, 11:18 AM
@9x23 - History of Violence was excellent - especially the first scene in the restaurant. That's what bugs me about 30.06 laws (Texas - businesses can still deny access to CHL holders). My gun isn't going to do me any good out in the car.

llanite
June 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
Also, before there was Patriot, there was Last of the Mohicans with Daniel Day Lewis. Particularly the exchanges between the standard army colonel and the leaders of the volunteers (private gun owners). Really illustrates the divide between nanny-statists who will take care of you and the rest of us who want to take care of ourselves.

9x23
June 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
Illanite My gun isn't going to do me any good out in the car.

+1 - Yep, when some digruntled employee, who intends to do harm and cares nothing about their company's gun ban policy, comes to work on that horrible day it's a good thing that policy is in place because somebody other than innocent people might have gotten hurt! :fire:

Unless there are metal detectors I'd be packing - just do it very discretely.....9x23

Owen Sparks
June 9, 2009, 02:47 PM
After twenty years in martial arts I am really hard to watch a movie with. These people did just about EVERYTHING wrong. First of all, if you were in the position of the Liv Tyler character would you have answered the door? She was in a strange house where NOBODY knew her at 4:00 AM. When someone knocked on the door she just opened it. She didn't even holler "Who is it"?
STUPID!
The buddy that came in the house and was shot by accident did not announce his presence. I would NEVER walk into someones home, not even my parents at 4:00 AM without loudly announcing my presence and receiving a verbal acknowledgment before strolling into the bedroom. Then there was the part where the beleaguered couple split up. This always goes bad in every movie you have ever seen. Remember the part where the girl runs outside and trips? What does she do? She crawls back into the house! She should have hid in the woods. The whole movie was a clinic on what NOT to do in a home invasion. The one thing that did stand out though was one line right at the end that made my blood run cold. The couple were tied up just before being stabed and the Liv Tyler character asked the killers "Why are you doing this?" Their answer was

"Because you were home."

Sometimes psychopaths don't need a reason to kill you, just an opportunity.

Big_E
June 9, 2009, 02:55 PM
Almost like any situation, the movie can be interpreted in different ways by different people. Reminds me of "Animal Farm." I thought of the book as THE anti-communism book. But nonetheless, one of my leftist minded teachers interpreted it as pro-communism. Fortunately, 90% of the class disagreed.

"Gran Torino" is what I see as the best pro-gun movie right now. If Clint didn't have that M1 and 1911 he wouldn't have scared off the gangsters and that family could have died early in the movie. When the Hmong boy (can't remember name) runs into Clint's house and grabs the M1 while he's cleaning the firearms and points it at Clint he says, "which one is mine?" Clint pushes it away and makes a statement that clearly says if you don't know how to use a gun, then don't use it.

I would think more anti's would see the movie and get the message if it wasn't so full of hilarious or offensive language directed towards minorities.

ijosef
June 9, 2009, 03:02 PM
Would being able to make sweet love to Liv Tyler be worth the subsequent night of terror? I would say no, but I had to think about that one for a minute. :D

They totally could've wasted those people had they been trained and efficient with a firearm. When the protagonist guy (Liv's boyfriend) holed up with the shotgun, I saw the accidental shooting coming from a mile away, even before his friend arrived.

Another good pro-gun movie - The Devil's Rejects. If those people in the hotel had armed themselves, they would have stood a chance.

Karl Hungus
June 9, 2009, 08:14 PM
Anyone got any other suggestions for good horror movies? I mean modern stuff, not the boring Night of the Living Dead crap.

If you actually thought the original Night Of The Living Dead was boring crap, then no.

Xader
June 10, 2009, 02:14 AM
When the Hmong boy (can't remember name)...

His name was Thao (or Toad ;) )

Great movie. Just watched it tonight

TeamPrecisionIT
June 10, 2009, 10:18 AM
In the scenes just before Mel Gibson’s fist shoot-em-up, he was treating both Colonial and British wounded soldiers when Col. Tavington arrived and killed Gibson's defenseless child. At that point I felt that his motivation was vengeance for his murdered son and to save his eldest son from the same fate.

Its only later that his motivation turns to patriotism - just my spin on it.....9x23

Vengeance isn't necessarily self defense. Now if and when the Colonel showed up on his horses and started acting hostile, as he did, and Benjamin goes and kills every single one of them, then yeah, that would be self defense. Still a great film and it's pretty cool that we see it differently even though it's the same flick. "Aim small, miss small"

Damian

Owen Sparks
June 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
I suppose people will come away from this movie with whatever opinion they have about guns reinforced. The part where the buddy is accidentally killed reflects the antis philosophy that you are more likely to kill a friend of family member than an intruder because you are too incompetent to be trusted with firearms. ONLY the police and military have the training, the judgment and the wisdom to safely use firearms and that "good" people don't own guns. In fact, they don't even "know how to load the thing". That should be left to the professionals.

People like us know better.

Zundfolge
June 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry, it lost its "pro-gun cred" when it went incorporated the typical anti-gun cliche that use of a gun in self defense will more likely cause you to kill a friend or family member by accident.

:rolleyes:

Ardillakilla
June 10, 2009, 03:10 PM
That was my initial impression as well but people report that the movie has actually had a pro-gun effect on the sheep. I asked a friend who likes watching horror flicks if he and his wife had seen it and he basically said she wants guns to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

Remember, a lot of people don't think logically and thus don't prepare for or anticipate bad things. They operate on emotion so they empathize or feel. The movie makes them empathize with the characters and makes them start considering self-defense when they otherwise would not have (aside from being victimized directly).

9x23
June 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
TeamPrecisionIT - Vengeance isn't necessarily self defense.

I never said it was self defense. But self defense might be inferred in this case because eveyone that Benjamin kills now is one less who will come looking to kill him later.

As a homicide investigator, I noticed that when there was time for premeditation in cases of justifiable homicide (self defense) there was always at least a tinge of vengence in the act. This, of course, is anecdotal since it's only one investigator's observation and less than 20 cases.

And so what...who wouldn't get ticked off when a BG is attempting to cause great bodily harm of inflict death on someone!.....9x23

Fred40
June 10, 2009, 03:44 PM
It wasn't a movie that got me thinking about having a gun, it was a book...."The Road".

TiredOleMan
June 11, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think "History of Violence" was one of the most under-rated movies in the past few years, excellent flick. Has anyone seen "The Brave One" with Jodie Foster? Its a payback type movie but definetly not anti-gun.

llanite
June 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
The Road.... there aren't enough guns in the world to help you out of that SHTF situation!

However, Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men hits a lot closer to home - I've been through a lot of that country...

Karl Hungus
June 11, 2009, 07:43 PM
If anybody wants to see a film with even dumber victims than The Strangers, I highly recommend Them - the French film The Strangers was adapted from. Same basic premise, but no "Dad's old shotgun" and the killers turn out to be children.

Yeah - I know that's a spoiler, but I doubt anybody would actually suffer through the whole film.

rbernie
June 11, 2009, 08:44 PM
Movie threads belong on APS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most progun movie ever, The Strangers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!