Shipping Powder

PDA

viking499
November 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
What do most places charge for shipping powder?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping Powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jwr747
November 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
don't know what you mean by most places.if you talking about Midway,Graf's,ect. most places charge "shipping" on everything you buy.if you talking about the "HazMat fee"it was a way for the "carriers" to make some extra money for handling that "dangerous" gun powder.stuff might blow up on the truck.so for a little $$,they will take that chance. jwr

viking499
November 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
I guess I ment to ask how much they charge above normal shipping costs. Hazmat fees or other charges they normally add to powder shipments.

rcmodel
November 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
Midway USA
Powder ships separately and may arrive at a later date. $20 Haz Mat and additional $9.99 Shipping fees. Powder ships ground freight, 48 lb max. Powder cannot be returned. Check local regulations. Signature required at delivery.

Powder & primers cannot be shipped together and there is a seperate HazMat & handling fee on each.

pinkymingeo
November 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
Midway ships powder and primers separately, with two Hazmat fees. Everybody else ships them together. To my knowledge UPS and Fedex charge the same for powder/primers as anything else, plus the $20 Hazmat.

sig2009
November 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
Midway Usa is not telling you the correct story. Powder and primers CAN be shipped in the same shipment!!!!!! The reason for them saying that is because they do not stock powder. The powder you buy from Midway is actually shipped from Powder Valley Inc. I have ordered from Powder Valley and Natchez and they both ship powder and primers up to 70 lbs in the same package for 1-$20 hazmat fee.

viking499
November 11, 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info, that was what I was looking for.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
If not buying large quantities, powder is one of the very few things that it makes more sense to buy locally - higher price plus sales tax plus gas is still less than shipping plus hazmat fees. This is because the box stores can order large quantities and spread out the hazmat fee for you.

bender
November 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
Midway USA
Powder ships separately and may arrive at a later date. $20 Haz Mat and additional $9.99 Shipping fees.
I order from midway all the time, but I've never ordered hazmat stuff.
Does this mean they charge regular shipping, PLUS an additional $9.99, PLUS the $20 hazmat? what a rip, if so...!

rcmodel
November 11, 2008, 03:55 PM
It's not just Midway.

Powder & primers get hit with a $20 buck UPS HazMat fee regardless of who ships it.

The packing fee is to cover the government required EPA HazMat paperwork & DOT package labeling.

bender
November 11, 2008, 04:10 PM
yeah, I know about the $20 hazmat being everywhere. I was wondering about the $9.99 extra shipping fee.

I still wouldn't order this stuff thru the mail, especially when powder & primers are 2 separate $20 fees. I would maybe go in with a buddy on a powder/primer order from PowderValley or somewhere that ships them together. Does PV eat the hazmat fee on large orders?

sig2009
November 11, 2008, 04:14 PM
www.tntreloading.com

Tony will pay the full hazmat fee if you order 4-8lb jugs and he will eat half of that if you order 2-8lb jugs.

Hairballusmaximus
November 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
Midway charges 20$ haz mat and a set 9.99 for shipping on powder no other shipping charges.

Grafs charges no shipping except 4.50 per order fee and hazmat 20$,32lbs or more powder they pay the hazmat fee. I just placed a 25,000 primer order and they gave me a bulk order discount that completely offset the 4.50 order fee and the hazmat 20$ fee.

So far Midway and Grafs are the only ones I have dealt with.

Wilburt
November 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
Or.....

1. Shop at Sportsman's Wharehouse (Decent Prices)
2. Be an Alaskan Resident and live elsewhere (Don't Pay Tax)
3. Get the military Discount (5%)
4. Have that Sportsman's on your direct route to work (No gas cost)

:neener::neener:

Only bad thing is they didn't get there Thursday powder shipment so they are really low....:cuss:

bender
November 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
I drive right by a Sportsman's Warehouse every day on the way home from work. It would be nice if they had powder & primers in stock more often.

3 times out of 5 they are out of whatever I'm looking for.

Hairballus... thanks for that info.

rhinoh
November 11, 2008, 07:40 PM
Sportsmans Warehouse- hmmm..used to like that place but l'm beginning to have concerns...bought some Speer Gold Dot .45 bullets from them last week, after I got home I realized it was a box of 50 with a price same as everyone else's internet price for box of 100, then today picked up a Lee Perfect Powder measure, they didn't have the other brands I was considering on hand. Got home and found it all over the net for $18-20, SW was $28!
All my fault, gotta research more before buying, but :fire:

I do buy powder and primers there to avoid the shipping problems...bought a number of guns there for a fair price too, but I'm beginning to realize where they make it up...

Wilburt
November 12, 2008, 11:56 AM
It's true... SW is not the most competivie but when you don't pay tax and get another 5% off I find it hard to beat it with online stuff. That is IF they have it in stock which is not the case most times. I mosly buy powder and primers there when they have it b/c of the hazmat and previously stated reasons.

sig2009
November 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
I see SW does not have an on line catalog so how do you get prices and order?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 12, 2008, 04:53 PM
1. Shop at Sportsman's Wharehouse (Decent Prices)
4. Have that Sportsman's on your direct route to work (No gas cost)

Sounds good to me! :)

interlock
November 12, 2008, 06:00 PM
"1. Shop at Sportsman's Wharehouse (Decent Prices)
4. Have that Sportsman's on your direct route to work (No gas cost) "

5. don't live in the uk where a 1 lb tub of powder will cost about 35. ($60usd)

outragous.....

interlock

PVI
November 12, 2008, 11:13 PM
Midway's powder doesn't get shipped by PVI. It is shipped by a west coast distributor who does not sell retail. That is why they ship powder and primers separate.
According to the carriers they charge the outrageous hazmat fees to cover their costs for training and adhering to DOT regulations governing hazardous materials.
For large orders PVI charges a flat $40. You can purchase 100 lbs of powder and up to 100k of primers and have it shipped for that flat fee.

Wilburt
November 13, 2008, 12:09 AM
I see SW does not have an on line catalog so how do you get prices and order?

I belive they are an in-store buisness only. Not sure but i've never heard otherwise.

weeniewawa
November 13, 2008, 12:22 AM
According to the carriers they charge the outrageous hazmat fees to cover their costs for training and adhering to DOT regulations governing hazardous materials.

if you talking about the "HazMat fee"it was a way for the "carriers" to make some extra money for handling that "dangerous" gun powder.

I haul Haz-Mat on a regular basis. The $20 goes to cover the extra insurance they have to carry to haul the stuff. Not to mention the Haz-Mat permits that are required in most states and the extra attention they get when going through the scales. The costs go on and on. All drivers with Haz-Mat on their license have to get a FBI background check since 9-11. That is $95 for every driver.

"1. Shop at Sportsman's Wharehouse (Decent Prices)

I thought the same thing.

then I looked at powder valley and I could have saved money just buying 1 8lb jug of powder, even with the haz mat fee and shipping.

now where do you think I buy from?

I need to make an order

order more and save

Bear2000
November 13, 2008, 07:55 AM
PowderValley, which is hands down the best place to buy reloading components, charges $20 Hazmat and then a very low shipping fee, usually under $10. I just bought 50 lbs and total shipping was just under $40.

RustyFN
November 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
Powder & primers cannot be shipped together and there is a seperate HazMat & handling fee on each.
It's not just Midway.

Powder & primers get hit with a $20 buck UPS HazMat fee regardless of who ships it.

The packing fee is to cover the government required EPA HazMat paperwork & DOT package labeling.
You can buy powder and primers and have them shipped together from Powder Valley or Graf's for one $20 hazmat fee as long as you don't go over 48 pounds. I do it all the time.
Rusty

Hairballusmaximus
November 14, 2008, 04:56 AM
Just a little additional info to RustyFN's post. the 48 pounds refer to actual powder weight not packaging. Six 8lb cans of powder is 48 lbs of powder but when you add the weight of can,bottle whatever, its not counted apparently. Most places will ship up to 48 lbs powder under one haz mat.

Anyway, the reason I threw this out is that when I placed my 1st powder order I thought the powder, container, shipping box etc all counted and so I shorted myself a can on each order to make sure I didnt pick up another fee.

Jumping Frog
November 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
Tony will pay the full hazmat fee if you order 4-8lb jugs and he will eat half of that if you order 2-8lb jugs.
I am sure he will pay it, since he is making more that the HazMat fee in his pricing.

First item I checked was CCI #500 SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS 5000-PK

tntreloading.com price was $131.95
powdervalleyinc.com price was $107.50

That is almost $25 difference just on 5k of primers. A quick glance at a couple of 8# Winchester powders shows a $8.95 price difference.

Getting "free HazMat" for 4-8lb jugs is saving $20 while paying an extra $35.80 just for the powder.

kevbo
September 28, 2010, 03:18 PM
I tried to buy some primers from Midway a few months back.

They didn't mention it prior to shipping, but they shipped them via UPS such that I HAD to be at home to receive the shipment. Couldn't pick them up at the UPS terminal, couldn't change or have Midway change the shipping address. Couldn't have my retired neighbor sign for them. Only option was to take a half day off work because UPS could only quote a 6 hour window for delivery. So UPS ended up returning them to Midway. The loaded ammo I ordered at the same time (shipped on different tracking #) they left on my front porch.

Midway refunded the price, but not the shipping or hazmat fee. Pissed me right off, that did! Taken a few months and I'm only just now getting to where I _might_ spend some of my money at Midway again...maybe next year.

So does anyone know if this issue was driven by:

-Some federal regulation?
-UPS policy/procedures?
-Midway Policy?
-Some issue related to the size/value of the order? (I think it was 10,000 primers or there abouts)

I can finally buy primers at the local places again, but it would be nice to know for future shortages or if somebody is offering a great deal online. (I suspect that as the shortage abates some places will be caught with excess)

rscalzo
September 28, 2010, 04:04 PM
Doesn't seem so any longer..

T & T RELOADING INC WILL NOLONGER BE ABLE TO OFFER FREE HAZ MAT ON POWDER & PRIMERS FOR REASONS OF PRODUCT AVAILABLITY AND HAZ MAT INCREASES.THE CURRENT HAZ MAT FEE IS $25.00.THANK YOU TONY PRES.

rtpzwms
September 28, 2010, 04:23 PM
I used Recob (http://www.recobstargetshop.com/) over the last couple of years and everything is at my door when I get home.

medalguy
September 29, 2010, 01:40 AM
Just for the sake of accuracy, Midway doesn't say they CANNOT ship powder and primers together, just that they DON'T ship them together. Their choice, not any requirement.

Vettewine
January 2, 2011, 08:08 PM
If not buying large quantities, powder is one of the very few things that it makes more sense to buy locally - higher price plus sales tax plus gas is still less than shipping plus hazmat fees. This is because the box stores can order large quantities and spread out the hazmat fee for you.
The good doctor is correct...! I've been able to find powder locally at gun shops for hardly any more than the online providers and no hazmat fee...! Saves time, money and trouble.

oneounceload
January 2, 2011, 08:24 PM

Incorrect.

Typically, 25,000 primers and 16-32 pounds of powder can be shipped in one package for one hazmat fee

RustyFN
January 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
Just for the sake of accuracy, Midway doesn't say they CANNOT ship powder and primers together, just that they DON'T ship them together. Their choice, not any requirement.

Yes it's not a requirement and also not their choice. Midway doesn't stock powder and has it dropped shipped from Powder Valley, Graf's and a few other places. The two hazmat fees are because the powder and primers are being shipped from two different locations.

hapidogbreath
January 4, 2011, 07:12 PM
Powder Valley has a special Buy 10,000 TULA primers and they will cover the HAZMAT and SHIPPING COSTS. Not sure the special is still going on but I got in with a buddy and it was painless. GREAT SERVICE. Shipped both the primers and powder in one box. Up to 40 #

medalguy
January 4, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hazmat policies and prices vary all over the place. I just received an order of 64 pounds of powder from Hi Tech Ammo (pulldown WC844 for $85 per 8 pound jug) and they paid all the hazmat fees. I paid regular UPS shipping only. One of my favorite vendors. However they don't carry all types of powder but primarily surplus powders which are a great deal if you load very much.

orrwdd
January 9, 2011, 03:22 AM
As far as Sportsman's Warehouse pricing on powders. At our local store a 4# jug of powder costs the same as 4 1# Cans, Same for the 8# jugs. I just don't see the savings of buying in bulk.

Bill

RustyFN
January 9, 2011, 12:21 PM
As far as Sportsman's Warehouse pricing on powders. At our local store a 4# jug of powder costs the same as 4 1# Cans, Same for the 8# jugs. I just don't see the savings of buying in bulk.

It works the same way where I live buying local. Where you save buying in bulk is at my local place one pound of WST is around $22. If I buy 48 pounds from Powder Valley with hazmat and shipping included I am paying around $15.50 per pound. That's a savings of around $6.50 per pound by buying bulk online. It works the same way with primers or a mixed order.

jja327
January 9, 2011, 06:32 PM
www.tntreloading.com

Unfortunately no longer free. The website lists $25 HAZMAT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping Powder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!