Shop owner three, bandits zero!

PDA

Rickstir
January 15, 2003, 08:59 AM
Tuesday afternoon, three crooks entered a small mom and pop corner grocery store in North St. Louis City. One had a sawed-off shotgun. The store owner got the drop on them with a .38 revolver. One bad guy dead, two more in police custody. Police, according to the TV report I watched this morning, would not discuss possible charges against the store owner. There probably won't be as is the custom. Way to go....Pop:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Shop owner three, bandits zero!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
January 15, 2003, 09:03 AM
It is always a good day when the Good Guys go at least 1-up on The Slime...Even better to go 2-up or more.

:D

bogie
January 15, 2003, 10:49 AM
The news this morning said it was the Michigan Grocery in south city - (the "state streets" are on the south side, and can be sorta dicey...).

I was pleasantly surprised that the local media didn't jump all over this. In fact, they seemed pleased.

Preacherman
January 15, 2003, 10:58 AM
Could we have links to some articles?

Rickstir
January 15, 2003, 11:17 AM
From the web version of the St. Louis Post Dispatch (a discustingly liberal rag often called the St. Louis Post Disgrace)

Store owner kills gunman who tried to rob him, police report
By BILL BRYAN
01/15/2003 12:00 AM

Two other men are arrested

AND T IM B RYANT
Of the Post-Dispatch

A market owner used one hand to knock away the barrel of a sawed-off shotgun pointed at his face and the other to draw his pistol from under a counter and fatally shoot a robber Tuesday afternoon, St. Louis police said.

It happened about 12:30 p.m. at the Michigan Market, 6601 Michigan Avenue.

The owner of the business is Martin D. McLafferty, 40. His wife said later Tuesday that he had fired the shot and was being interviewed by police. She said she was thankful he was not hurt and that she had not been present.

The wounded man, Charles Jackson, 22, of Jennings, fled with an accomplice and died later, police said. He was shot in the abdomen with a .357 Magnum handgun. Nobody else was injured.

Police said they jumped into a waiting pickup driven by a third man. The trio drove to the 700 block of West Schirmer Avenue, the house of an aunt of the wounded man, and authorities were notified.

Police quickly linked the two incidents. The wounded man died a short time later at St. Louis University Hospital.

Police arrested the two suspected accomplices, brothers 22 and 25, and planned to seek charges against them today.

A hand-lettered sign on the padlocked door of the market said it would reopen at 8 a.m. Monday.

Dan McDaniel, a friend of the owner's and a regular customer, McLafferty was likely to shoot a robber only in the most extreme circumstance.

Cal4D4
January 15, 2003, 03:04 PM
The citizen going about his business is the primary defense against crime. No level of staffing of public employees can change that. Glad "Pops" was prepared and capable.

Blackhawk
January 15, 2003, 03:45 PM
Great report! :neener: :neener:

A .357 Mag to the torso is probably going to do you in sooner rather than later if not instantly.

Redlg155
January 15, 2003, 04:03 PM
Works better than Pepto Bismol for sure! :D

Good for the store owner. Perhaps other BGs in the area will rethink things over before deciding to try that again.

2 BGs in custody to boot. Yeahh..that's good for me. Job security I say!

Good Shooting
RED

PATH
January 15, 2003, 07:29 PM
I'll say it again. I love stories with a happy ending!:D

4v50 Gary
January 15, 2003, 08:47 PM
In gun free England, the headline would have read storeowner and his wife were killed during a robbery today.

Makes me glad we had our revolution.

Standing Wolf
January 15, 2003, 09:19 PM
Once in awhile, the news is good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shop owner three, bandits zero!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!