Folding stock on a lever gun

PDA

bdgackle
November 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'd like to find a folding stock for one of my 30-30 lever guns. I've got a beater 1894 and a Marlin 336. I'd be willing to convert either. Preference would be something that doesn't require permanent changes to the gun, but I'm flexible.

I know that to some this will be sacrilege. I'm not really into the "tacticool" thing as a general rule, but it would be extremely practical to be able to fold one of these up and throw it into a backpack or duffel bag in certain situations. I promise not to mount a tactical cup holder if I get it to work. :neener:

Anyone ever seen this done? I can't find anything via google. Perhaps someone out there has found a clever way to convert one of the existing AR/AK/Mossburg 500/Remington 870 folders to this application?

If you enjoyed reading about "Folding stock on a lever gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Archie
November 12, 2008, 10:20 PM
Thirty Hail Marys. AND fifty push ups.

Seriously, I don't know of any such thing. You're right, having one that 'folds' would be nice for packing and carrying. My .22 Marlin 39 comes apart in the middle for cleaning and storage, it's too bad they (or someone) doesn't make the bigger rifles do the same.

If simply packing away and transporting is the goal, could you remove the screws from the butt stock on the Marlin and remove it? That - if that's all there is to it - would almost reduce the rifle by half. One brilliant idea, anyway.

Gator
November 12, 2008, 10:23 PM
A folding stock on a lever gun? Never heard of one, its weird....but I kind of like the idea. :)

Most people get a takedown rifle for what you have in mind, but they can be expensive. It is easy to take the stock off, maybe you could replace the stock screw(s) with a knurled head screw, so you could remove it and reinstall it without tools?

kcmarine
November 12, 2008, 10:46 PM
That would be weird... not sure if it would be bad though. Never heard of it before.

Timthinker
November 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
Like our other contributors, I have not heard of such a creature. I see no reason why it could not be done, provided such a conversion does not violate any federal or state regulations concerning overall length for such a rifle. Please note that some regulations appear "screwy" so I would check with a local gunsmith about the legality and feasibility of that conversion. If it passes muster, then do it and post the pics here. Please remember to check into the legality since some regulations really seem bizarre. I hope this helps.

Timthinker

piratelooking@40
November 12, 2008, 11:49 PM
Bleah!:barf:

There are things which can be done, but should not be.

Realbigo
November 13, 2008, 12:04 AM
I too doubt that such an animal exists, and i second thumbscrews on the stock

Mauserguy
November 13, 2008, 12:14 AM
A folding lever gun would be pretty cool. It would be a great disaster rifle.
Mauserguy

Anteater1717
November 13, 2008, 02:08 AM
Sounds like it would be a neat idea, for a handy practical rifle. I say if your good with tools, you could saw off the stock at the grip, then bolt on a side-folding AK stock.

If done properly it might not even look too bad/bubbed/tacticool, though it may offend some purists.

I guess you could say necessity is the mother of invention!

P.S. If you do decide to do this, please post pics!!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/2m2tm9x.jpg

Monkeybear
November 13, 2008, 02:33 AM
Folders usually have pistol grips, so they can be used while folded. A pistol grip would not work on a lever action so that could be why no one has thought to put a folder on one.

bdgackle
November 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hmmm, sounds like I'm not the only one that can't find one prefab. Thanks for all the responses!

I've got a friend who is pretty good with composites, maybe he can help me rig up a rear stock to mate with the folder. That or I'll take the suggestion to saw off the wooden one and bolt directly to it. I'll post pictures if I complete the project, but it will be awhile. Don't want to cut the stock that came with the rifle -- I'll want to find a cheap used one online, and I've got lots of irons in the fire right now.

Probably convert the Win 1894. Got one cheap that some idiot electro penciled his initials into the side of the receiver. Finally got that sanded smooth, so now I'm going to try my hand at rust bluing on it. If it turns out less than beautiful, It'll be the bubba candidate.

Sounds like BATF measures length with stock unfolded, so legality shouldn't be a major issue. Found a set of guidelines issued by them for measuring overall length.

jackstinson
November 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds like BATF measures length with stock unfolded, so legality shouldn't be a major issue. Found a set of guidelines issued by them for measuring overall length.
Check again...I belief the NFA sets the "minimum" length for a rifle with detachable or folding stocks at 26" folded. But it shouldn't be hard to comply with that.
If you are simply wanting to fold it to pack in a tighter space, have a look at the Kel-Tec SU-16 and SU-22 rifles.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9
These fold under for stowage. And nope, they don't have pistol grips, so a levergun version may be do-able.

D Boone
November 13, 2008, 02:24 PM
It needs to be done and it needs to be an underfolder off an ak! Do it! I wanna see! If you sort out how to do that, I will sort out the bayonet lug!

Kind of Blued
November 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
Do it, do it, do it! :D

It's like telling your friend in high school to paint his van "Scooby Doo" themed. As long as I don't have to drive it...

Yugo M70-style underfolder might work if you put a shim in there.

I love a nice walnut & steel lever gun, but at the same time, I always thought these were cool. Really cool.

GrandmasterB
November 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'm diggin' the buttstock trap door thingy..

JImbothefiveth
November 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
Ooh, now there's an idea!
You'll probably have to make your own stock, without a pistol grip for it to work with a lever gun, though.

Savage Shooter
November 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
Quick get this man to the hospital he's obviously insane or seriously ill.:neener:

All I have to say is in the name of JOHN WAYNE what it the H@#$ for:scrutiny:

jpwilly
November 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
I say go for it...bust out the hacksaw and have at it man. Be sure you post up some pics of the monstrosity when you are done!

lobo9er
July 13, 2009, 04:17 PM
funny man i am starting the same project i got a 30-30 336 i cant wait to chop up perfect for HD I think

rbernie
July 13, 2009, 04:34 PM
I belief the NFA sets the "minimum" length for a rifle with detachable or folding stocks at 26" folded. A long gun cannot be shorter than 26" but it is measured with the stock extended.

juk
July 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
Bandsaw and piano hinge. Have to call you bubba though. :)

Reid73
July 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
it would be extremely practical to be able to fold one of these up and throw it into a backpack or duffel bag in certain situations.I suggest a takedown.

Custom conversions: Wild West Guns ("Copilot" (http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html)), Cosby's Custom Gunsmithing, and Keith DeHart all have good reputations for this work.

Factory options: Browning BLR (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=011); Winchester 1895 (http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=534&type_id=127&cat=C).

Roodles
November 24, 2009, 07:39 AM
Did anyone actually finish this project?

I was quite interested to see what the finished product looks like :)

- Roodles

dmazur
November 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
+1 to a takedown lever-action.

I have a 1895 in .30-06, takedown. I had the barrel cut to 20" so that piece is now roughly the same length overall as the receiver/stock. It is surprisingly easy to toss in a pack.

rcmodel
November 24, 2009, 05:02 PM
fold one of these up and throw it into a backpack or duffel bag in certain situations.Why not just pack a screwdriver.

There is only one tang screw holding the stock on either a 94 or 336, and it takes all of 30 seconds to unscrew the tang screw and pull the stock off for packing.

rc

Isher
November 24, 2009, 11:43 PM
Reminds me of a type of sailing ship

From the old days, called a hermaphrodite brig.

"A hermaphrodite brig, or brig-schooner, is a two-masted sailing ship with square sails on the foremast and fore-and-aft rigged sails on the mainmast.[1] It combines the two main types of sail plan, hence the term hermaphrodite.
The hermaphrodite brig is distinguished from a brigantine in having exclusively fore-and-aft sails on the mainmast, while the brigantine has one or more square sails on the main topmast, above a gaff rigged main-course, or "spanker"."

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Keep us all informed............

isher

If you enjoyed reading about "Folding stock on a lever gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!