Help please.

PDA

shllyshny
November 13, 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm out of options here, so I'm appealing to the gun community for help.

Here's the deal. We have four dogs. They've all lived together great for six years until recently. One is a lab and the other dogs have started beating the crap out of him on a regular basis. If we don't find a place for him soon, the others will kill him.

This isn't normal "establish a pecking order" pack behavior. These dogs have been living together quite well for the last six years. The chain of command has long since been well established.

The other three are set on killing him if they are not kept separated, and they have been kept separated for the last month.

At first we thought it might be that the black lab is sick in some sort of way, but all of them get their six month checkups like clockwork, and even took him in three weeks ago just to see if something was missed. The dog is healthy.

We have no idea why the others have turned on him. He doesn't push any buttons. Now he pretty much just cowers and pisses if he is brought around the other dogs. His tail stays tucked.

If the other dogs get to him again, he's dead. We are not going to restructure our lives around protecting one dog. Not really a task for me as I work normally 12-15 hrs/day. It's my wife who has to deal with them. And I am not going to have my three year old caught in the middle of a four-dog free for all.

No rescues in THE REGION will take any new animals. Not just lab rescues, not just SC. Every one I called in SC, GA, and NC are full.

We need some help here. Will someone please take our lab? I really don't want to put him down. I guess in that regard, this post is firearm related.

He's not happy anymore. He continuously slinks around with his tail tucked.

He's a good dog, great with our three year old and he is healthy, neutered, and house broken.

He is six years old.

If someone in SC area will take him, please pm me. Or email at labinscneedsahome@yahoo.com

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/InfantryNCO/taco1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Help please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sinixstar
November 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
Man, if I wasn't in NV - i'd take him in a second.

How long ago did this start? Did this start since the last checkup? Things like tumors pop up in dogs and cats EXTREMELY quickly. I've seen cancer take a completely clean bill of health animal to death in less than a month.

Aside from that - in terms of places to take animals - contact local nursing/retirement homes. Sounds funny at first - but a growing number of places like this will take healthy well behaved animals. Gives some otherwise potentially lonely people some happiness in their lives - so it's doing a good thing in the process.

No Fear
November 13, 2008, 01:30 AM
We have no idea why the others have turned on him.Are the bullying dogs females? If they are then this could be their "shunning" instinct.We need some help here. Will someone please take our lab? I really don't want to put him down. I guess in that regard, this post is firearm related.

He's not happy anymore.Wow, what a message to send to the bullies, that after abusing one of their own for no reason, you will validate that and finish their job FOR them. That is NOT how you train good animals that are good around people and especially kids.

On one hand you appear to care about the animal that is being bullied but then you show that not to be true by essentially threatening to follow the aggressor's behavior and kill the GOOD dog. Wow. You played a role in creating this submissive victim because you had him neutered. My brother in law and uncle in law aren't allowed to have a gun in the house and guess what, these guys are submissive.

There are two ways of focusing on this. Either you continue to focus on your convenience or you focus on doing what is RIGHT. Protecting the GOOD animal is the right thing to do because he trusts you but you're growing weary of it because you haven't put much effort into getting to the bottom of what is the problem here. Sure you took everybody to the doctor and essentially asked someone ELSE to figure out your problem. Surprise surprise that yielded nothing.

For pete's sake you don't dump the good dog and ignore the aggressive bullies. Good grief. Separate the bullies and figure out WHICH ONE is the lead aggressor. That one is the problem here, not the victim. If you had empathy for the victim you would have seen this many steps ago but you're only thinking of your own convenience here.

You need to RE-establish in the eyes of all your animals that YOU are the top dog. You don't seem to realize that the lead bully has replaced you as top dog in the eyes of the other dogs. THAT is why they are ganging up on him. Re establishing YOUR dominance isn't complex but it will require the effort to separate and identify the lead bully and you will probably need to get rid of that one. Sure, it's not as easy as dumping the victim who TRUSTS YOU onto a shelter, or taking them to a doctor, but it's the right thing to do. When the U.S. entered WWII, we didn't validate the bully by helping gas more jews, we went after the lead bully.

BHP FAN
November 13, 2008, 01:50 AM
The problem may be the amount of hours he's working.When you're gone that much,the ''pack'' no longer recognizes you as ''top dog'',as No Fear stated.I work twelve hour days,too [though right now we're down to two or three days a week,timber industry's in the dumpster this time of year...] and when you're gone that much,the critters realize you are no longer in control.

No Fear
November 13, 2008, 02:08 AM
The problem may be the amount of hours he's working.When you're gone that much,the ''pack'' no longer recognizes you as ''top dog'',...and when you're gone that much,the critters realize you are no longer in control.That is true but I don't expect him to be able or willing to trim his hours back, which is why the lead aggressor must be identified.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!