22 Bolt: Marlin vs. Savage

PDA

briang2ad
November 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
Don't want to spend $300+ to get accuracy. I also THINK I'd prefer the tube mag offered by Marlin over the Savage. Anything else to know? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Bolt: Marlin vs. Savage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawnee
November 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
For under $300 there will be no significant difference in the accuracy. So if you like tube magazines, get the Marlin.

:cool:

JonB
November 13, 2008, 10:05 AM
+1

My nephew has a Savage bolt and it is quite accurate for the Walmart price. But it has the removable 10rd mag which is kind of a pain. Personally I am a fan of Marlins and the tube feed mags as they are faster to load.

But for under 300 both will be quite accurate. Walmart sells Savage bolts for under 150, not sure on the Marlins.

KINGMAX
November 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
I like a MARLIN w/ a tube feed. I really like the older Marlin 882/883 micro-groove in 22 WMR magnum round. One nice accurate little rifle. Top it w/ a 4 X scope, you got something.

mainmech48
November 13, 2008, 10:23 AM
Don't want to draw fire with this, but here goes: IMO, given the ammo it prefers it's pretty tough to find any new quality-made .22 RF rifle that isn't capable of shooting better groups than most of us can hold for from anything but a solid benchrest and bags.

Even an "economy" model. For all practical purposes the single biggest limiting factor, accuracy-wise, will be the skill of the particular shooter in almost every case for a long while.

Personally, I like a tube mag better than a box-type which protrudes from the stock for most of my general purpose RF longarms. I do a lot of woods bumming and traipsing around with them and hand carry at the natural balance point is easier and more comfortable when there's nothing sticking out there.

briang2ad
November 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Can all of them load 1 round at a time?

22-rimfire
November 13, 2008, 01:26 PM
Of course.

Dookie
November 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
you can also get the 5 round mag for the savage. The savage and marlin are about the same in quality, the biggest advantage goes to savage and the accutrigger, the marlins trigger just plain sucks.
However, if you want a tube then get the tube, the trigger is easy to fix on the marlin.

woof
November 14, 2008, 05:39 PM
I like the Savage because of the box mag. I have three of them and so 30 rounds at my fingertips. What could be faster than that in a bolt action?

Geno
November 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
I have both a Savage and a Marlin bolt-action .22LR...as well as many others. :D I like both, and would not sell or trade either.

saltysteven
November 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
i have a little over $100 at walmart Savage.
I must say it shoots ver nicely. i never had a marlin- sorry.
but i hear good things of them.
i would def buy another savage and will say that i have shot very tight groups with this inexpensive riffle. The rest of my collection costs much more and doesnt hold up to the bolt action

briang2ad
November 15, 2008, 08:46 AM
CAN one find a used Savage or Marlin with a nice wood stock which:

1) Shoots as well as the new ones

2) Is under $200

Which models should one look for?

ilike223s
November 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have a glenfield model 25, shoots great with rem gold coated,
I did how ever cut the barrel down to 17 1/2 in,
but it does shoot very well.just one of my 8 dif 22s.

Auburn1992
November 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
For $100 you can get a WalMart Savage .22lr bolt action.

I've got one, and off of sandbags I get three shots in the same hole at 25 yards.

I think my smallest group was a ~.3 inch possibly smaller.

And remember this is off of an all stock with only a Bushnell 4x32mm scope added to it.

You will NOT regret it.

gbran
November 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
A couple years ago I bought a Marlin rimfire bolt action. The trigger was horrible and I had to buy a Rifle Basix trigger kit to fix it, after which, it turned out to be a fine gun.

earlthegoat2
November 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Savage MK2 BV is advertised as giving 1/2in groups at 100.

They didnt lie.

Txhillbilly
November 16, 2008, 01:49 AM
For the price,it would have to be a Savage for me. The trigger will make you want more Savage's. I have 2 bolt action rimfires an old Marlin 80 22lr that is very accurate,and a Savage 93GL 22 Mag that is extremely accurate.
After I bought the 93GL with the Acutrigger,I sent my pre-Acutrigger Savage 110FLP 300WM to a gunsmith and had one installed on it. They are that good.

cobra2411
November 17, 2008, 06:31 PM
Just got a Savage Mk2 with a 4x32 scope and I love it. The mag at times can be in the way though, but the accutrigger is worth the occasional bump into the mag...

I took it indoors at 25yrds and sighted it in. Left it a little high, but groupings were great. Especially when you consider that the benches at the range I go to suck for bench rest shooting. The guy next to me kept banging into the bench and the gun was jumping around...

On the way out the door I sprung for the bi-pod and sling... I can't wait to get it to the outdoor range and see what it'll do at 50 or 100yrds...

This is small games worst nightmare...

briang2ad
November 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
I don't want to start a war, but Marlin MAY be better from what I read:

- late model Savages seem to have better triggers OTB, but they seem to have plenty of QC issues including barrel crown, and magazines can be an issue (a new one I handled just seemed "cheap" to me, and CS doesn't seem too great.

- The Marlin does have QC issues on the trigger, but seems like better overall quality, and you CAN work on the trigger. Tube mags for 22s seem to be a better idea.

woof
November 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
I've had both and as much as I love my Marlin 336 and 39, and as much as I respect the company, it's hands down for the Savage in my book. My Savage Mark II F very closely approaches the accuracy of my CZ 452.

gvnwst
November 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
I have a base model savage, and it is more accurate than my brothers 39a, which cost 4 times as much. It is a pre rimfire accutrigger model, but still shoots 1/2" or better with BULK ammo at 50yd. I can shoot the bottoms of pop cans at 100 with no trouble. I also like the detachable mag, they are faster and i can get a few, and fire WAY faster than the 39A.

Master Blaster
November 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
Any tube fed gun is going to be less accurate than a magazine fed or single shot gun, simply because you have the mag tube hanging off the barrel.

Pre loaded magazines are quick reloads much quicker than putting 10 rounds down the tube one at a time.

Also consider a CZ, but savage and marlin both make good guns, just dont expect match grade accuracy with a tube fed gun.

chad1043
November 19, 2008, 06:34 PM
Master Blaster,

What does your signature mean in Hebrew?

briang2ad
November 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks all - very informative. The tube mag being attached to the barrel does make some sense. Also, does the heavy barrel version of the Savage gst you that much more accuracy than the base model?

Mainsail
November 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
Here's my Savage, love the trigger.
http://img.geocaching.com/user/5b27ff03-6369-4507-94d0-a8dea6d2e142.jpg

gvnwst
November 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
, does the heavy barrel version of the Savage gst you that much more accuracy than the base model?

Depends how many rouds you put through it. The heavy barrel will be a bit better overall, but i don't think that it makes a difference in cold bore though. Though I am known for being wrong (somewhat often, as it is.....)

It could be that the bull barrel is a higher grade barrel, but on a savage, that's saying something for the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 Bolt: Marlin vs. Savage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!