Questions about sale to individual

PDA

HDon
November 13, 2008, 08:35 PM
What legally would/should I need to do to sell a rifle (AK/SKS) to an individual either locally or at a gun show?

If it were to take place at a show, is it possible/likely to have a dealer there (for a reasonable fee) take care of any needed paperwork?

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about sale to individual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cbrgator
November 13, 2008, 08:38 PM
What state are you in

WardenWolf
November 13, 2008, 08:47 PM
Depends on the state. In most states that do not require registration for rifles, he hands you the money, and you hand him his gun. That's it.

HDon
November 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
IN and OH

I'm pretty sure I don't have to do anything (was told this once by a local dealer several years ago), but was wanting to make sure I didn't run into any problems down the road should something bad ever happen with the gun (don't want it comming back to me). Just asking for your advice.

cbrgator
November 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
IN and OH, is this an interstate transaction?

kingpin008
November 13, 2008, 10:37 PM
Well, since it's interstate, you must go through a dealer. FTF transactions are only legal between residents of the same state.

NavyLCDR
November 14, 2008, 01:19 AM
Well, since it's interstate, you must go through a dealer. FTF transactions are only legal between residents of the same state.

+1. That is the federal law. And there is NO exception for long guns, for contiguous states, or for gifts to family members as some will try to claim there is.

turnyourback
November 14, 2008, 08:22 PM
depends on the state. but like the above said... the only face to face transfers can be conducted are ones between residents of the same state.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions about sale to individual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!