I am kinda bummed that I am missing out on the gun buying panic

PDA

Lone_Gunman
November 13, 2008, 10:38 PM
But I bought everything I could need before the election! So I am missing out on all the fun they are having at gun shops now!

Anyone else with enough foresight to buy everything they needed before the Liberals took over?

If you enjoyed reading about "I am kinda bummed that I am missing out on the gun buying panic" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OAKVILLE SHOOTER
November 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
I bought everything I could need before the election!

Now go out and buy what you want. I satisfied my needs a long time ago. I may not ever satisfy my wants.

distra
November 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yep, bought my AR last year when prices were ~$300 cheaper, picked up 13 mags as well. I'm only picking up a few pistol mags and reloading equipment. Ammo is good to pick-up, but reloading will be the wave of the future 'cause ammo tax will be outrageous! :banghead: We might have to come up with our own code name for bullets to avoid taxation. :evil:

TeamPrecisionIT
November 13, 2008, 11:02 PM
We could call them footballs, lol. Nope everything I 'needed' was prcured over six months ago, now its just time to keep the stores replenished from time to time, so I am missing out on all the hassle and price hike these days.

Damian

2nd 41
November 13, 2008, 11:08 PM
Was at my range this morning. Was at my jewelers this PM. Ended up buying a Seiko instead of a Smith. Anyway, I do not have any revolvers. I'm starting to panic. Looking at my new watch...says it might be time to buy.

4v50 Gary
November 13, 2008, 11:08 PM
I bought everything I needed a while back. Now it's time to stockpile toilet paper because of all the BS that will be coming our way. ;)

browningguy
November 13, 2008, 11:20 PM
THe only recent EBR in this pic is the Mini 14, and it's actually brown, I didn't get the SU16's or Sub 2000 in the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/rifles.jpg

Let's see, 40 mags for the AR's - Check
5 x 33 rounders for the Sub 2000 - Check
8 mags for the BHP's in 40 - Check
4 mags for each of the other pistols - Check

Plenty of ammo in 9mm, .40 and .223 - Check

I only ordered 3 x 20 round mags for the Mini, but I'll get by.

Saleen
November 13, 2008, 11:25 PM
For the most part I did get everything that I wanted for myself and the kids when they grow up. Still, as the election drew closer I stocked up on a few things to short sell for extra cash, and I have since gotten more ammo from the proceeds as well as a couple of suppressors and more items to sell at my liesure.

And I still have a small pile of AR lowers that I'm sitting on for the future...... All have been built, completed, fired, and documented :D

Saleen

SoCalShooter
November 13, 2008, 11:35 PM
I am not saddened in fact I am glad, manufacturers are gonna kick it into high gear and there hopefully will be a surplus and that will drive prices down because everyone is gonna be out of money after this frenzy and christmas.

Roadwild17
November 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
I still dont have everything I want, but I have more than I need.

November 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
Myself as well. Already have my EBR list taken care of. I am just happy that everyone else seems to be focused on ammo and EBR's of their own. That left the S&W .38/200 and the Winchester model 74 I just picked up with a place to call home.

distra
November 13, 2008, 11:58 PM
We could call them footballs, lol.

Or Pb&J better yet Lead Zepplins :D Anyone noticed the price for AR lowers seems a bit high? Last year I picked up a Stag Arms lower with A2 stock for ~$200, just checked tonight and lower with trigger and pistol grip was $195. The built AR's are all over $1k, I built mine last year for under $700. Supply and demand, I guess I should pick-up another lower before they are $500 (atleast that will be my excuse to my wife). ;)

paintballdude902
November 14, 2008, 12:02 AM
i couldnt get the funds together the govt messed up my checks sooo that screwed me up im still waiting on one from sept and now my next one is late too but i got it taken care of today so i should have a few grand in a week or so to buy a new toy idk what yet though

Ragnar Danneskjold
November 14, 2008, 12:08 AM
I can't afford any new guns, and probably won't be able to for a long while.

jeff-10
November 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
In 12 months when there is no ban, and the economy is still in the dumps, you will be able to get a great deal on some never fired ARs.

turnyourback
November 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
i bought my first gun a week after the election :)

JCMAG
November 14, 2008, 12:29 AM
Browningguy,

I must know. What is the top gun in your picture? It looks like a mix between M1 Garand, M1903 Springfield, has a detachable magazine, and it has the barrel profile of a FAL. What is that beauteous creature and by what name do I call her?

I truly must know :what:

Kind of Blued
November 14, 2008, 12:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Looks like an FN-49, but I don't know much.

You should go in to a busy gun shop Saturday around noon, and casually look at a couple revolvers or something. The "looks" you get might be funny. :)

expvideo
November 14, 2008, 10:12 AM
Even if you don't need any more guns, I say go out and buy some. Get a cheap .22 or something. Buy them as gifts. Get a mosin or something different than your normal purchase. Anything, really. The reason being that this gun buy-up is good. Sure it sucks for the price of ARs, but it also sends a message to Washington that our letters and emails never could. It shows politicians that the gun culture in this country is stronger than ever, and that there are enough people out there that don't want a ban, that doing so is going to cost them a second term.

Really, if only for the sake of activism, buy guns! BTW, I don't see any shotguns in that picture. Everyone needs a shotgun. I also don't see any suppressed weapons, so you could get creative.

Saleen
November 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
You won't hear my suppressed weapons either :D (at least not much).

And I'm not lacking for 12ga representative either. Each kid has at least one Winnie 97 standing by, and even though they are old school, they are one hell of a combat shotgun.

I may get one more suppressor before I stop, but I've got a couple waiting for the Form 4s to come back on currently. I'd like more, but I think I'm going to spend the money to move what NFA items I do have into a Trust instead of having them in my name. The trust lives on, but I don't want Uncle Sugar giving the future transfer of these items the thumbs down.

Saleen

Speedo66
November 14, 2008, 11:25 AM
Last month picked up a Kel-Tec Sub2K 9mm Glock edition and while in OH stopped at Aim and got 500 each 7.62x39 and 9mm before the feeding frenzy (and the price increases).

Now I feel much smarter than I really am. :rolleyes:

sarge83
November 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
About the only "panic buy" I have made is a saiga .223. Never really cared for the round but the price was pretty good. I have been as usual stock piling ammo.

Ignition Override
November 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
A kind THR member can discretely loan me the money, and I will pay back in three secret installments, to buy my first AK or Saiga.

We have the money for a Demokratic Self-Defense carbine, but the less my wife knows (needing justification), the better. Bought ammo since last
summer.
Why did some people wait until the election?
Were they stuck in orbit in the Space Station?

CountGlockula
November 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'm more bummed that I ran out of money.:cuss:

MGshaggy
November 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
I picked up another PTR91, an AR15, a few MG belts and a hundred G3 mags. May still get a few more guns (a krink or two, and an AR15 in 545x39) and several cases of ammo if all goes well before January.

Its certainly not a question of 'need' for me. Even before these latest purchases, I already had more EBRs than I could really use. At this point, I'm just hedging against a possible ban. If it materializes, I'll have a nice collection of grandfathered weapons. If there's no ban, I'll consider it a win for our side and I'll be more than happy to suffer a little loss in value on what I've recently bought.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
It doesn't take much to make me happy.

There are two ways of looking at this. One way is that you don't have nearly enough semi-automatics -- no matter how many you have, another way to look at it is that if you have one good semi-automatic that is reliable and that shoots well, and you have several (or more) magazines and some ammo, then you are good to go.

The first way of looking at it will most likely mean that you would never be happy, no matter how many guns, or how much ammo you have.
The second way of looking at it is that you are content with what you DO HAVE.

RangerHAAF
November 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
I thought things were being exaggerated when it was being written about guys doing runs on the gun stores, but it's true and it's not only legitimate buyers but thieves, street crooks and the cops are looking for mainly AR-15s now.

A local gun shop got hit a day ago and the crooks made off with quite a haul and the the ATF has no leads.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/cherokee/stories/2008/11/13/bargain_barn_guns_stolen.html

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 14, 2008, 06:01 PM
Don't worry, they will catch the perps.

ggarfield965
November 14, 2008, 06:01 PM
I bought a .22 LR Marlin bolty. We have all the guns and ammo we could ever want, but we're hunters so that means basically 3 crates and some leftover boxes of shotgun shells.

regal
November 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
I bought a Vector AK underfolder. Its sort of a freakinstein with a mixture of parts origins. But it was all I could find and I am hoping the Vector name will help it keep its value.

McCall911
November 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
Since the election, we're probably in a "seller's market" phase. But the few potentially "evil" guns that I have, I don't want to sell. :D

Bill_G
November 16, 2008, 03:06 AM
i'm already stocked up enough. just bought 2 mags and my normal monthly amount of Ammo.

i dont feel the need to have 4 EBR's....8 pistols and 2000 rds of ammo.:)

Ignition Override
November 16, 2008, 03:36 AM
What is an EBR: Emergency Battle Rifle?
This acronym seems to refer only to AKs(Saigas), AR-15s or M-14s etc.

My brother and I were very fortunate guys at Alliance Arms demonstrating the Saiga 12 on full automatic at a range in Evansville. They were developing the patent for it.
Whatever an EBR is, any Saiga 12 should also qualify.
One day, that or another Saiga gauge will be my shotgun, if a shotgun is ever needed.

If an EBR is such an animal, then can my two Minis, two MN 44s and single SKS qualify for this covert acronym?

RangerHAAF: And thieves are really good at identifying LEO SUVs and breaking in while the guys are in restaurants by I-40, enroute to a conference. Some guns were recovered.
Could it be how the guys are dressed when they leave the car (all in black, with short hair?), and the out-of-state license plates, spotted on the interstate exit ramp?

Bill_G
November 16, 2008, 06:36 AM
EBR= evil black rifle.

usually reserved for AR-15 type assault weapons :)

DRYHUMOR
November 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
There's always a fine line between "need" and "want", the line seems to be made of cash.

I was in a Sportsman's yesterday looking around around the reloading section. Then I went by the guns section. Basically 2 groups were there. One's looking at semi pistols and one looking at the 3 or 4 Remmy AR's.

Went by the gunshow later, much more selection of AR's and reloading stuff. Had more selection of ammo as well it seemed. Though it was leaving pretty quickly by the ammo can.

LKB3rd
November 16, 2008, 10:17 AM
I got a .22 :) I noticed with all of the add-ons, I could actually make it an illegal "assault .22" lol (CT AWB)
An EB22! (evil black .22)

22-rimfire
November 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have not bought anything since the election other than groceries. I'm saving up for my next firearm purchase. I think I know what it will be.... but I might cave in to political pressure and buy an EBR. :)

lanternlad1
November 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
I love Texas. Here, if its a pistol, and I can conceal it, I can carry it, according to my CHL licensing rules.

Now I just have to find a way to conceal my PLR-16.

:)

CoLJ
November 16, 2008, 05:26 PM
In 12 months when there is no ban, and the economy is still in the dumps, you will be able to get a great deal on some never fired ARs.

+1

Then again, those of you running out now and spending money, please take comfort in the fact that you are doing your part to help the economy.

Which I very much appreciate.

Carry on.

Saleen
November 16, 2008, 06:04 PM
I think that prices will level out, but they won't return to the point they were 6 months ago (or 6 weeks for that matter). I'm not worried about losing a penny of the money I'm spending on weapons, ammo, or reloading components right now.

I know someone who just spent over $1200 for a run of the mill S&W AR-15 at the local Academy. Now THAT'S insane! They make a nice rifle, but it isn't worth nearly that much IMHO.

Saleen

Ditto_95
November 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
I bought a EBR several momths ago to add to my collection. I have enough to satisfy my needs for any potential problem. I have 50 plus mags (military) I bought back when I was in, in the 80's. Talk about luck. I am GTG.

GILROY
November 16, 2008, 06:36 PM
No EBR. Well not American made, but a nice M1A Scout purchased last year should be quite capable. Got a few more than I need as they seem to be safer investment than the markets or cash savings. Will likely continue to focus on ammo for the most part. Really need a second safe as well :rolleyes:

jordan1948
November 16, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't think I'll ever be able to satisfy my wants or needs as far as firearms go since I want a lot and need a lot to feed the wants.........did that make any sense?

MIL-DOT
November 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm taking a different track, I SOLD an AK yesterday at a gunshow. I know I must be some kind of parasite, 'cause I sold it for $200 more than I had in it, but I did throw in a couple extra mags !!:D
I then went and got a nice revolver as I believe they may escape the coming ban, at least the first wave.:(

Saleen
November 16, 2008, 08:10 PM
Better to keep the AK and resist than to aspire to join a segment of firearms owners that have a lower priority on the elimination scale.

Just my .02

Saleen

biggun44mag
November 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
Local LE in my area are buying up EBRs for personal use....The officers I know are on "our" side, so there is some solace in that. I bought a Colt HBar before the Clinton ban, she's tricked out as a sniper now. I absolutely need a lightweight AR but may have waited too long....My immediate goal is stocking up on ammo. I agree with Saleen, I also will refuse to cave in and watch the choke-off of our rights. My advice to everyone out there....Buy whatever you can, stock up on ammo, JOIN A SHOOTING CLUB! By doing so you will not feel isolated and there is real political power in numbers. Whatever wind blows in the next few years, put your nose to it and STAND UP!

22-rimfire
November 16, 2008, 10:31 PM
Joining a club is a very good suggestion!

I also have no problem with the panic buying if you want to call it that. If for some reason, I can't buy what I want in 6 months, I'll live cause I already have most of what I want. :)

Saleen
November 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
The officers I know are on "our" side, so there is some solace in that.

Which is why the "National Security Force" is so important. People sneered when the "Obama Youth" clip made it's rounds, but that's exactly who will be lining up to staff this new outfit if it ever becomes a reality. If and when that happens, there will eventually be another "Night of the Long Knives". I don't believe this proposed National Security Force (which Obama wants to equip, train, and fund as well as the military) is to supplement current Law Enforcement, it is to replace it.

If confiscation is the end game, you can't get that done with the current LEOs in place. They have to be dealt with or removed first.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd rather be over-prepared than caught off guard.

Saleen

Zach S
November 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
My wife is bad with money, I have a 17 month old daughter, and all of my cars have over 150k miles...

I wish I could afford to do a few panic purchases.

Saleen
November 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Mine ain't great with money either, so she doesn't get more than I can afford to lose.

If things get bad, I'm sure that weapons will be available to anyone needing one and loyal to the cause.

Saleen

Sean Dempsey
November 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
You're missing out on the Gun Counter employees at Sportsmans Warehouse saying that "Obama has a law that is going to ban all guns, it's already drafted and ready to enforce on inauguration day."

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 17, 2008, 12:48 PM
I bet after all the guns and ammo are bought by all those who are spooked, and the stores are re-stocked, there will be sale prices like we've never seen just so the stores and their suppliers can get rid of all this stuff.

thirdeagle
November 17, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm selling right now but will be buying in a couple of months. I will wait for the dust to settle and then make my purchases for the next year.

Saleen
November 17, 2008, 03:11 PM
I bet after all the guns and ammo are bought by all those who are spooked, and the stores are re-stocked, there will be sale prices like we've never seen just so the stores and their suppliers can get rid of all this stuff.

Ahhhhhh, optimists.

If you're right, I'll buy even more then!

Saleen

Tirod
November 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, we've had multiple power outages over the last five years, generators sold like hot cakes, and none ever show up in the local ads cheap.

BUT - cheap chinese generators have dropped the price by half. I don't expect the same for firearms.

Some may float up to the surface if economics get bad enough the owner needs cash. He'd rather sell to a buddy who wants something unpapered.

It'll be a who you know market. Good time to join a local gun range club, eh?

flyboy1788
November 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
I started saving for stuff about a year ago, then in april I bought an Ar-15(smith and wesson), then mags and ammo and more mags and more ammo and spare parts, and more ammo and mags and optics, and now I am ready. I find it funny that some people act as if they never even saw this coming.

KABA
November 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
According to the people at Classic Arms they sold 243 AK Type rifles in the entire third quarter of this year and sold 572 AK type rifles just last week.

I've not bought much in the way of EBRs this year. I was concentrating on getting my mortgage fully paid. I sent the final check on election day and won a 5 of 6 in the lottery the following day. So yes, I've been buying guns since the election. But have tried to shop carefully. I bought a new Beretta CX4 in 9mm from a local shop for $599. And have an Interarms Tantal on order for $649. Fairly reasonable prices on both I think!

KABA
November 17, 2008, 07:07 PM
According to the people at Classic Arms they sold 243 AK Type rifles in the entire third quarter of this year and sold 572 AK type rifles just last week.

I've not bought much in the way of EBRs this year. I was concentrating on getting my mortgage fully paid. I sent the final check on election day and won a 5 of 6 in the lottery the following day. So yes, I've been buying guns since the election. But have tried to shop carefully. I bought a new Beretta CX4 in 9mm from a local shop for $599. And have an Interarms Tantal on order for $649. Fairly reasonable prices on both I think!

rocinante
November 17, 2008, 07:11 PM
KABA I was just reading that at classic. Interesting to put it mildly. I was mulling buying on of their century ARs since the price was so good but snooze you lose. Maybe all this is just jitters and I can get one next year at a good price. More concerned with ammo for my existing firearms though. Getting a pricier and pricier hobby for sure.

biggun44mag
November 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
If the plan is to replace LEO's with a "security force", than a whole new ball of wax will begin to melt. The IBPO is an extremely powerful union and has control of technology, training, weaponry, and most importantly, public support. I cannot fathom that it could go that far UNLESS some kind of major event were to occur, either legitimately or "staged". The most important point to remember is that being prepared is a win-win situation. As I stated before, join a gun club, support LEO's (become a rider/volunteer), and keep your eyes wide open!

moojpg2
November 17, 2008, 09:54 PM
I wish I could afford to stock up, the sketchy market combined with terrible retail sales are killing my paycheck. ( I work in retail)

tmajors
November 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yep I got everything I "need", now working on wants but the gun feeding frenzy has me coming up empty :(

james rogers
November 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
I am in the automotive industry and since I am going broke I can't jump out there and buy any of the stuff I want to. It sucks too because I really do want in on it !!!

Dougelas
November 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
I definitely need more, but I'm only 17, without a job, so I guess I'll have to get a job before January
21st and go on a shopping spree. :)

sturmgewehr667
November 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
im right there with you, im broke, cant buy anything right now

crazy-mp
November 18, 2008, 12:48 AM
...you will be able to get a great deal on some never fired ARs...

What the Deuce?!? Spend all that money on a EBR and don’t shoot it? Oh thats right the gun shop was out of ammo, any they waited until the last minute to buy.:neener:

Ammo is like common sense you can never have to much!

mauiglide
November 18, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm satisfied with my firearm inventory. It's my ammo inventory that I'm still working on.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am kinda bummed that I am missing out on the gun buying panic" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!