Address Change and CCW


November 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
I currently live in Cabarrus County, NC and in the next month or two I will be moving to Davie County, NC.

My CHL is registered in Cabarrus County. According to the sheriff's office I have to come in with an updated drivers license to get the "change of address" taken care of with my CHL.

The woman I talked to said that i would be given a piece of paper to carry along with my CHL to reflect this change.

Has anyone else gone through this process? Im curious if it really is as simple as they claim it is. And, if you have, have you had any encounters with an LEO and gotten flak for having an old address on your original permit along with the form reflecting the change?

As usual, any insight is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Address Change and CCW" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
Not in NC, but in LA I just had to fill out an online form.

Art Eatman
November 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
LEOs probably run across this sort of thing regularly. Moreso with driver's license than CHL, but I doubt that it's uncommon.

Like a lawyer buddy of mine told me one time, "The average guy goes through one, maybe two divorces in a lifetime. Lots of lawyers deal with several a week." IOW, what's a big deal to an average guy is no big deal for people in "the business".

Same for us and CHL paperwork stuff...

November 15, 2008, 12:41 AM
Same for us and CHL paperwork stuff...

Personally, I wouldn't be willing to bet my CHL on it. I changed addressess because of this Iraq deployment. The day after I return, I am taking my butt to the sheriff's department and changing my CHL address.

In NC, do thay have a CHL pamphlet that explains the change of address procedure? I would rather jump through whatever hoops the state law actually requires than just chance it.

November 15, 2008, 10:43 AM
I did mine online, held onto the email, printed it out and keep a copy of it in my wallet wth my permit till I get the new card.

November 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure how a move OUT of a county in NC and into another within the state would be handled. The permit itself is issued by the DOJ, delivered by them to your Sheriff. They'd need to send the "new" CHP license to the sheriff of your new county so you can drive down and pick it up.

Come renewal time, you'll be asking your new sheriff to renew a license he didn't issue.


Please update this thread and let us know how this all works out.

November 16, 2008, 09:17 AM
I went from Wayne County to Washtenaw County and didn't have to do anything. In Michigan a CPL is a state permit issed by the county you live in. When I renew I will do it with Washtenaw County.

November 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
^^ Same as SD. When I moved I called the sheriff's office and they said I didn't have to do anything with the CCW permit - it didn't even matter if it had a different address on it than my new address.

If you enjoyed reading about "Address Change and CCW" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!