Who says cats don't have a sense of humor? (Yes, this is firearms-related!)

PDA

Preacherman
September 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
Well, a friend arrived this evening, asking for my help in disassembling and cleaning his newly-acquired 1911. It had a full-length guide rod and a somewhat modified barrel bushing, and took quite a bit of effort to disassemble. I told him to ditch the guide rod and go back to JMB's good ol' short rod, which he agreed to do, and I gave him the necessary parts from my spares box.

All was going well until we came to reassembly of the pistol. He was doing this himself, with some supervision from me, so that he could get used to it. Unfortunately, he dropped the barrel bushing: and CJ, my ginger cat, decided that this rolling, bouncing thing was just the best toy since the invention of catnip. Before we could stop her, she'd grabbed the thing in her mouth and darted out of the kitchen door.

Tim and I pursued her, me calling fruitlessly and he cursing fruitfully (if you know what I mean). She ran straight through the living-room into my bedroom, and disappeared under the bed. Tim and I ended up lying on either side of the bed, whispering (profane) sweet nothings in her ear, and trying to reach her to get the bushing. We were just about there when Tim got impatient, and made a swipe at the bushing. He made contact, but knocked it out the bottom of the bed - to be met by my other cat, Calico, who had been most curious about the new toy her housemate had been playing with. Calico promptly siezed the bushing and ran out of the bedroom.

Tim and I hoisted ourselves to our feet, grunting, and took off after Calico, hotly pursued by an indignant CJ. Calico disappeared into my study, and took refuge in my open gun safe - underneath the lowest shelf in one side of it, squeezing in behind a box of magazines.

I pulled out the box of magazines, and Tim reached in to grab cat and/or bushing. Calico, feeling unduly put upon by this strange man, promptly bit and scratched his hand. Tim recoiled, using a few words that he wouldn't normally use in the presence of a man of the cloth, and as I stooped to reach into the safe myself, out came Calico at high speed, shot between Tim's legs, and disappeared out of the door. Needless to say, she took the bushing with her...

Tim and I pursued her through the living-room and back into the kitchen, where she hid behind the fridge. While Tim moved the fridge out from the wall a bit, I made ready to reach into the hollow where the motor sits, and grab Calico: but as soon as the fridge moved, she ran for it again, between my legs and out of the kitchen door into the living-room. Here she dropped the bushing, apparently feeling tired of the fun - but CJ was watching, and promptly grabbed it again, and ended up under my bed once more.

After much puffing, panting and swearing, we finally managed to block off the bottom of the bed, and with one of us on either side of the bed, finally managed to persuade CJ that her toy really wasn't worth the effort. Triumphant, Tim grabbed the bushing, and he and I stood up and dusted ourselves off. As we did so, the noise of several things dropping to the floor was heard from the kitchen. We looked at each other in horror, and raced through - to find that while we were busy with CJ, Calico had pawed the slide, frame, barrel, etc. off the table onto the floor, and was disappearing behind the fridge with the recoil spring in her mouth!

We picked up and secured the other bits of the gun, and then went after the recoil spring. Eventually, after further misadventures, we managed to get hold of it. We ended up taking over an hour to reassemble the pistol! I've never experienced a longer, more frustrating reassembly! Still, my cats enjoyed themselves...

:banghead: :cuss: :fire: :mad: :evil: :neener: :p :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Who says cats don't have a sense of humor? (Yes, this is firearms-related!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
September 17, 2003, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a catastrophe.

jsalcedo
September 17, 2003, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a couple of gun grabber pussies :neener:

BHPshooter
September 17, 2003, 10:35 PM
:D That has got to be the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for posting.

Wes

Tamara
September 17, 2003, 10:40 PM
For some unknown reason I just got this feeling that putting my Big Box O' Spare Gun Bits in the armchair that is Mittens' favorite lounging spot may not have been the smartest of ideas... :uhoh:

Be right back. :eek:

sm
September 17, 2003, 10:43 PM
ROTFLMAO.
Rule 1. Never take a firearm to a "cat house" and expect to get any smithing' done...umm too many distractions! :D

Zundfolge
September 17, 2003, 10:47 PM
Reason #176 why Dogs are better then Cats.

:evil:

Kendra Pacelli
September 17, 2003, 11:22 PM
That was the funniest thing I heard/read in a long while.

Thanx for the post man...I needed that after the week I have been having.

cool45auto
September 17, 2003, 11:34 PM
Oh man, that's too funny!:p

C.R.Sam
September 17, 2003, 11:44 PM
Combat vet, tactician, man of the cloth with patience....and help.
Tag teamed and outsmarted by a few pounds of non feral felines.
:D :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for sharin sir.

Sam

sm
September 18, 2003, 12:03 AM
Tamara is not back yet...umm must be getting advice from Preacherman on how to retrieve spare bits of parts from Mittens.
Not real sure Preacherman the one to get advice from...:neener:

CGofMP
September 18, 2003, 12:30 AM
Preacherman YOU SIR NEED TO REPENT!!!!!!!!!!
It is time to give up the sort of animal DIANE FEINSTEIN would have and buy yourself a genuine AMERICAN PROUD - DOG!

I'd also like to suggest you begin a study using THIS BOOK (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/003059359X/ref=nosim/them1garaanam-20) which should set you on the way to your recovery from the infestation of an obvious liberal gun grabbing pet!

Support groups ARE available.

Charles

Bigjake
September 18, 2003, 12:38 AM
Dang, my sisters cat ever pulls something like that around here it'll be lucky if i don't use the fully assembled 1911 on it...

chaim
September 18, 2003, 01:00 AM
Ah yes, cats can be playful, and fun. Gotta love them (yeah at the time you wanted to smack them- hard, but now you have a great story that just adds to their charm).

I've always thought that cats were far superior to dogs. Why? They are more like us. Dogs have no will of their own, with training they will slavishly follow your every command. Cats, bond well and strongly yet have an independent streak a mile wide. Which sounds like most people on this board?:D

Now to get off this subject before we start what may just be the only subject on Earth that might be more divisive than "9mm v. .45acp", ".223 v. .308", ".223 v. 7.62x39", "AR v. M14" or "1911 v. combat tupperwear".:D

Anyway, I never did have that kind of problem with my cats. When I was about 18 I got a pellet gun. Of course I wasn't mean enough to shoot my cat. However, I liked playing with it and I'd sometimes "dry fire" it shooting a burst of CO2. Well, one of my cats absolutely hated the sound and possibly the pressure (I never aimed at her, but perhaps she "felt" the pressure of the sudden sound). Whenever I'd shoot it off indoors she'd get a "deer in the headlights" look for a moment and then she'd run off and hide for some time. Well, when I finally got real guns over a decade later I can still remember my first dry fire. The cat was just walking in the room as I aimed at a safe place on the wall, she stopped short when she saw the shape (it looked like she saw a ghost) and when she heard the trigger this now elderly cat disappeared with a speed I hadn't seen from her in years. Well, now she has gone on to the "big litterbox in the sky" but my current cat must have learned the fear from watching her former companion and she is almost as scared of my guns. She sees them, she runs.

Old Fuff
September 18, 2003, 09:01 AM
I loved it. Please keep us up too date ......

DHH
September 18, 2003, 09:03 AM
Dogs have masters.

Cats have staff.

762x51
September 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
LOL.....great story. Thanks for the laugh. :)

buzz_knox
September 18, 2003, 11:08 AM
Possible titles for Preacherman's next thread

"Best caliber for killing cats"

"One shot stop ratings re: marauding felines"

"Tips on field dressing felines"

"Need a recipe for city rabbit (Morris) stew"

OF
September 18, 2003, 11:12 AM
:D Heheheh.

- Gabe

Gus Dddysgrl
September 18, 2003, 11:29 AM
great story, that's just one more reason why I won't be getting a cat as a pet.

Gus

simon
September 18, 2003, 11:44 AM
Good story, and well written.I could picture every move and was laughing the whole time...:D

barqfox
September 18, 2003, 11:47 AM
just one more reason why I won't be getting a cat as a pet

Just get a dog. That way, as soon as you get your gun all nice, cleaned, and oiled, the dog can run in with a mouthful of drool and water, and indignant that you're not paying them any attention, proceed to empty their drool-channelling jowls all over your work surface and nicely polished firearm. (true story)

-Tom

cordex
September 18, 2003, 11:49 AM
Reason #176 why Dogs are better then Cats.
Dogs will just eat the part in question and you have to sort through fecal matter if you ever want it back?

My cat never learned a fear of firearms. When I come home from the range and lay some guns on my bed, she'll sometimes just curl up next to them.

Dogs and cats have their own good points and bad points. No reason to make it an "either/or" question in my book.

TallPine
September 18, 2003, 12:10 PM
My God! Fineswine and Hitlary have died and been reincarnated as cats!

Gator
September 18, 2003, 12:51 PM
What's this? New scratching post?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pfd265b7aebf51eda38cb25cd1eb0ed09/fb0e12df.jpg

:fire:

Great story!

Gator
September 18, 2003, 12:53 PM
And here is one for the dogs:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p62d290c747aa3ac668c9c0e69d71ed16/fb0e1435.jpg

:neener:

Nightfall
September 18, 2003, 02:43 PM
These cats aren't antis. Over the years, piece by piece, parts will go missing. A barrel here, a spring there. Then one day, Preacherman will be cleaning his house and find a fully assembled 1911 next to the cat bowl. :p

cordex
September 18, 2003, 02:49 PM
Then one day, Preacherman will be cleaning his house and find a fully assembled 1911 next to the cat bowl.
And on that day, Preacherman had better be willing to listen to some demands.

buzz_knox
September 18, 2003, 02:50 PM
My God! Fineswine and Hitlary have died and been reincarnated as cats!

This would be great for two reasons. First, it would mean they both were deceased. Second, it's legal to kill cats.

4v50 Gary
September 18, 2003, 02:56 PM
Never have I known cats to tag team people until this incident. Dogs exists to serve us and please us. We exist to serve and please cats.

David4516
September 18, 2003, 05:00 PM
http://www.geocities.com/david4516/tiggergun.txt

This is my cat, Tigger. Sometimes I wonder if he isn't planning something...

Monkeyleg
September 18, 2003, 05:16 PM
OMG, Preacherman, that's hilarious! :D

So, is your friend going to transition to revolvers?

JeanC
September 18, 2003, 07:46 PM
For some strange and odd reason, 2 of our kitties seem to think the reloading bench is the place for a nap. Since we are having a problem keeping the office door shut, they wander in at will. KiKi kitty is the one who is in there the most and hubby is a bit peeved at her as she managed to knock one of the scales off the bench. The scale I am glad to say is not damaged.

Our kitties, those current and those who've crossed over the Rainbow Bridge all have this need to sack out in any gun case that happens to be lying open.

Tamara
September 18, 2003, 07:51 PM
So, is your friend going to transition to revolvers?

Oh, my! Have you seen a cat with a speedloader? I'd swear those things were made of compressed catnip or something... :uhoh:

ninenot
September 18, 2003, 09:24 PM
Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "pussywhipped."

MY cat, OTOH, is a hunter. Whenever I get out the .22 rifle for a shot at a squirrel or woodchuck, the cat comes to my side, looks out the window at the critter, and POINTS!! (OK, that's not quite true.)

LOVES to watch critters go down, and the noise doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Bowlcut
September 18, 2003, 09:27 PM
ROFLMAO

Oh man thats just tooooooo good. And having met Preacher...I hear the story with his thick accent oh thats just too good. The man can take on gang bangers, various gurellas .... only unable to disarm a meer kitten :D

Oh that really did make me LOL

Sisco
September 18, 2003, 09:41 PM
http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/ROTFLMAO.gif
Thanks Preacherman, I needed a good laugh!

Preacherman
April 1, 2004, 05:12 AM
... and because I've just taken this picture, here are the guilty parties! CJ is the ginger cat, and Calico is - well, the other one! :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?postid=908290

uglymofo
April 1, 2004, 06:47 AM
...and here's another couple for the dog lovers out there. Who says cats can't be "guard dogs"?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/p324dfe2c7e9eba648d459637d883e3fa/f9295ee2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pfc6697e15cdbe8f70bf8c805919aa7f8/f9295edf.jpg

tc300mag1
April 1, 2004, 08:35 AM
That was great for a life.. Luckly i dont have to worrie about the old ladys cat doing that he just likes to sniff the barrels and go away.

harpethriver
April 1, 2004, 09:02 AM
When I moved in to my log house-which is buried in the woods, it came with my very own abandoned 1/2 Siamese 1/2 orange tabby porch-cat. I didn't know this cat had been on the farm for all of his (at the time) 10 years. I soon discovered a squirrel in one of the eves, in a very well hidden and difficult to get to portion of the house. Not wanting to shoot holes in my house I tried rat traps, have-a-heart traps, bait, etc. Nothing worked. One day while returning from sighting in my RWS 48 air rifle I spied the squirrel exiting his nest and heading for a meal at one of my bird feeders. In my best stealth mode (heart rate way up quickly) I loaded a pellet (.22) as quietly as possible, however the 48 being a side cocker was not quiet enough, and the squirrel hopped on to the roof and in to the back yard. Not wanting to miss this opportunity I headed around back quickly and spotted the miscreant next to the woodpile. I got to within 15 yards, aimed, got ready to pull the trigger when I felt something on the ground move between my feet. Fearing a snake my heart was really racing. I almost laughed out loud when I looked down and saw that cat, hair up on the back of his neck, pointing on that squirrel! Before I could get a bead on that squirrel again that cat took off like a blur, jumped on the squirrel, and well...you can guess the rest. I made one vain attempt to take the squirrel away from the cat, and, all I can say is when blue Siamese eyes turn red, back off! I have since seen this cat take a flying squirrel from a tree, and play matador with the dominant male in a deer herd. The cat is now 15, diabetic, gets 2 insulin shots daily, and still follows me like a dog all over the farm whether I'm hiking, cutting wood, or especially small game hunting. Oh yeah-needless to say this is one log house that doesn't have a problem with mice.

Hemicuda
April 1, 2004, 09:09 AM
Cats, the other white meat...

about the ONLY thing a live cat is good for is in a barnyard... killing field mice... they most CERTAINLY aren't fit to be in my HOME...

if a cat did that to me, they'd be eating lead in NO time flat... (that is what a pump action BB gun is for... low powered indoor cat removal!

My dog, on the other hand, is one helluva pet, and is worthy of my love... SHE never destroys or steals my things, (except the occasional roll of toilet paper) even when she's mad at me...

harpethriver
April 1, 2004, 09:15 AM
Hemi-"those who dislike cats are destined to be mice in their next life".

JamisJockey
April 1, 2004, 09:38 AM
My cat is too lazy to steal gun parts. She spends most of her days sleeping on the bed, or on occassion looking for a lap to hang out in. Right now she's keeping an eye on the dogs, since they're after her every chance they get...
If I had a tac light, though...she loves to chase the spot from a flashlight.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/2004418334821423270917.jpg

PATH
April 1, 2004, 10:29 AM
Preacherman, that was a great story! Reminds me of the time my very prim and proper bank VP brother came to dinner at my mom's house.

We were eating spaghetti and meatballs so my brother put a dishtowel over his shirt and took a seat in the living room to watch some TV. Well my sisters cat was laying down in the living room. All of a sudden the cat got up and just stood in place for a second or two.

Anyone who owns a cat will recognize the next scene. The cat bolted and ran over all the furniture in the living room like a possessed being. My mothers stereo was one of those old furniture pieces which she had just waxed that day. The cat makes the turn on the stereo and slides right into my brother and the spaghetti with sauce which then went all over his nice white shirt and suit. My brother jumped up and spilled the rest on the floor.

There was a moment of silence. Everyone in the house started to laugh like maniacs. Now my brother was very incensed and having everyone laugh at him put him over the edge. The cat must have known what was coming next because he took off and hid somewhere.

The sight of my my brother with a purple face walking through the house saying, "here kitty, kitty", while covered in tomato sauce was hilarious. He never did find the cat but I pulled a muscle laughing so hard for so long!

BarnsBeware
April 1, 2004, 10:32 AM
Anybody else here get cat hair in all your guns because your roommate is a "cat person"? You absolutely cannot remove cat hair out of guns. There is always one more, deeper in the mechanism. No matter where/when you clean, it is inevitable... :fire:
Field Dressing a Cat
I'd read that. We just tease ours as she is our backup food supply. :eek:

AZ Jeff
April 1, 2004, 10:51 AM
Just consider the cat hair on your guns as a new high-tech fibrous protein lubricant.

Just get used to it, if you own cats. They were really put on this planet to disperse hair. Everything else is just a side benefit.

Valkman
April 1, 2004, 02:42 PM
That was a great story - thanks for bringing it back. We have a 4 year old cat and a 3 month old kitty. You'd think the older cat would show the little one what was ok and kick his butt when he's bad, but this little Charlie Manson act-alike rules the roost! He attacks the big cat constantly, and me or the wife when the cat isn't handy. And if all else fails his tail gives him hours of fun! Thankfully, he's not big enough to steal gun parts yet, but he will be. :)

fslflint
April 1, 2004, 03:05 PM
must.......post.........mean............pic
http://www.sick-humor.com/files/picture/03241188.jpg

XLMiguel
April 1, 2004, 03:53 PM
I feel your pain.:D

I long ago learned the folly of trying to clean a gun while the cat's awake. Jake pretty much figures any small rolly-bouncy thing in sight is a toy (his toy). He does like to bat empty cartridge cases around (prefers .45), so if he's about, I wind up tossing him a .45 case, which he bats and chases for a while, then he brings it over and drops it at my feet for me to throw again, which tends to slow the cleaning process down some, but not as bad as if he runs off with a recoil spring.

Quartus
April 1, 2004, 04:36 PM
I pulled out the box of magazines, and Tim reached in to grab cat and/or bushing

Ole Tim boy is not too bright when it comes to cats, is he?

:rolleyes:

:D

keyhole
April 1, 2004, 04:51 PM
Uggh! Cats! Even though we have one at home, I perfer my choc Lab that resides outside. Although my cat has never interfered with the cleaning, and maintinence of my guns, Charley the Lab likes the shooting, and enjoys a trip to the range.

Remember, cats & small dogs are a waste of fur, and better suited for restringing tennis rackets, and stocking Chinese restaraunts.:D

sturmruger
April 1, 2004, 05:01 PM
You are a very patient man. I have shot many a cat for doing far less then that.

They were feral cats, and were starving to death in January, but I have never really liked cats very much.

David4516
April 1, 2004, 11:28 PM
Why are there so many cat-haters on this board?

My cat, while always looking for trouble, hasn't done anything really bad. He even lets me clean my guns in peace. His favorite toys are those little plastic rings that come off of milk jugs... he'll play with those for hours...

4v50 Gary
April 1, 2004, 11:33 PM
harpethriver - loved your cat story.

I like cats but depending on the cat, I can be allergic to them (itch & sneeze & watery eyes). Give me the short hairs anyday.

45King
April 2, 2004, 07:47 AM
Preacherman, that was a great read! I LOVED it! Pretty cats, too.

I echo chaim's sentiment about cats.

MikeB
April 2, 2004, 09:29 AM
Should I start worrying, I don't think there is any actual food in that bowl. Do you think their plotting to steal my guns or parts.

http://bowensguns.com/pics/jadesmoke.jpg

armoredman
April 2, 2004, 09:43 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/127121.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=127121&c=500&z=1)

Samurai Penguin
April 2, 2004, 10:10 AM
Cat + laser pointer = hours of fun and amusement! (Well, that is, until you point the laser at the wrong spot and the pursuing cat knocks over your beer which promptly spills all over your just-completed tax forms. Not that I'm dumb enough to do this or anything... :o )

BryanP
April 2, 2004, 12:26 PM
Why are there so many cat-haters on this board?

They're just mad because the cats are smarter than they are. :D

I have 4 cats and a dog who are all buddies. I think that dog would kill anyone who tried to hurt one of "his" cats.

BryanP
April 2, 2004, 12:34 PM
And since this should be gun related, here's Rasputin with "his" AK. Every time I get it out he has to come check it out. "Hey, replace that thumbhole stock with a paw-hole and get outta my way!"
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=911969

AZ Jeff
April 2, 2004, 01:15 PM
When I was a young man, I used to really not like cats, and thought they would make good targets (although I never actually shot any).

In my older-middle age, I find cats amusing. They have an independent streak that mirrors my own, and the way I feel about my government.

I sort of admire that.

And besides, they are really funny to watch sometimes--trying to figure out what is going on between the ears.....

Dr.Rob
April 2, 2004, 06:30 PM
A dog is a loyal companion that looks to you for guidance and affection.

A cat tolerates you in its environment because it hasn't figured out how to work the can opener.

A dog is loyal beyond death, many a dog has stayed beside it's masters grave, grieving.

When you die, your cat will eat your face.

:uhoh:

Cats are uniquely hilarious independant creatures in a way that dogs just aren't.

I salute your cat's actions preacherman. After all, to the cats it probably looked like that bushing was a piece of HUMAN NIP, the way you fussed over it.

Back to gun-related issues... unless a cat was about to eat me, I don't think I'd want to shoot one.

Jeff Timm
August 16, 2004, 06:40 PM
Truly it is written:

"The Devil made the dog, who sees man only as an ideal."

"God made the cat to reflect the real man."

Geoff
Who read Daniel P. Mannix.

:cool:

Blackcloud6
August 16, 2004, 07:09 PM
I can just now see the next cover of "Cat Fancy" magaizne when crossed with "Guns & Ammo!"

MAURICE
August 16, 2004, 07:09 PM
Had to post again.

Shovelhead
August 16, 2004, 07:26 PM
Freeeeeeze!!!!!
'Putcher paws in the air!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1185126

WhoKnowsWho
August 16, 2004, 09:52 PM
You've got some great cats there Preacherman! Thank goodness I am allergic to them or I might have one too!

gunsmith
August 16, 2004, 10:22 PM
went to the same school as my cat.
Cats do seem to like small gun parts to play with,I now make sure kitty is locked up before disassembly. Kitty loves spent shells. I had a friend who had taught his cat to play fetch,one of those tabby cats,while I am more of a dog person I like cats fine.

UberPhLuBB
August 16, 2004, 10:29 PM
Who says cats can't be pro-gun? :D

Ok, it's not actually a firearm, and it was unloaded and uncharged, and it was 2 years ago, and it was more like "I'm going to lay on this thing that doesn't look like carpet." But still, it kept Malla occupied for a few minutes until she rolled over on her back and "lost" it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/cats/guncat2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/cats/guncat3.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/cats/guncat4.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/cats/guncat5.jpg

As for the cats vs dog argument... well, I'd rather not befriend an animal that gleefully chomps down feces if presented with an opportunity. :eek: :uhoh: I've seen it happen a dozen or more times and couldn't be any less enthusiastic about having a dog. Not to mention I don't have to wash the oil off my hands every time I pet a cat. Dogs are great companions no doubt, but the faults are too numerous for me to consider getting a dog.

Ex-Doc
August 16, 2004, 10:42 PM
Rule #1 when herding cats- Close all doors!

#2 throw heavy blanket on them, wrap up tightly so to keep from getting clawed

I have two siamese cats. one's pro the other is anti-gun. one runs at the sight of a gun for no reason. the other likes to sniff and rub recently fired guns while purring.:D

joe sixpack
August 16, 2004, 11:28 PM
Cats are the bestest!
I currently have two strays.
Good stories and photos, here's a cat story.

The cat and I had several games we would play
including hide and seek, chase me or chase him and so forth, and he had become rather fearless.
A number of years ago my brother-in-law was over to our place.
He was not a cat lover, he was the kind of guy who would
rattle the cage of a leopard to get some reaction.
Anyways, I had put the cat in the bedroom, where he occupied the bed.
There was a sliding glass door which seperated the deck from the bedroom.
From the deck my brother-in-law was antagonizing the cat with hand motions and whatever else he could do to try to get a rise out of the cat. Next thing you know the cat leapt fully armed with claws and teeth at the neck level of the B-I-L only to bounce off the glass door. The expression on the B-I-L's face was one of surprise and fear (mind you he is 6'3'').
All I can say is too bad the sliding glass door was closed.

cheers, ab

Gifted
August 18, 2004, 09:09 PM
I gotta love these stories. I'm a bit of a cat person myself, but I see a nitch for a dog in the household.

Iron Mike
August 18, 2004, 10:42 PM
When I was about 13 my uncle Bill showed up with a stray cat, Bootsie, a beautiful slate gray male.After about a month of mutual hostility the cat and our dog, Daisy became friends and then constant companions and they would play tricks on each other Once when Daisy was asleep under the coffee table, boots, very stealthily jumped on the shelf above the dog and reached around the shelf and swatted the dogs ear, she jumped up and hit her head and the chase was on.
On another ocassion my father said that one day, while the cat was drinking water from his bowl, Daisy casualy walked up behind him and stepped on his head and took off running, the cat sat there sneezing and shaking his head trying to get the water out of his ears.
I have no doubt that animals have a sense of humor.

wolf
August 19, 2004, 05:19 PM
one day...i just had to have a cat...went to all the pet adoptions...cat rescue places..city pound..did not find the cat i was looking for...looked for several months..then gave up....came home one day...and my neighbor had two kittins crawling on his kitchen floor..."hey wolf..ya wanna cat?"

and it was just the cat i was looking for...dum-dum is now 10yrs..(hey hey there are no "b's" in his name..im surprised how long it takes for some folks to get that..when they ask his name)..a maine coon/20lb/polydactile (extra front toes) male..

i guess the male bonding between wolf & cat works...he knows not to explore in my gun stuff..(at least when im home-he might turn the house into a shootin range when im at work)..

cats just want what we all want...to be able to live without doors..be able to "visit" many female friends when ever we like..

have fresh catnip ready when we return from our visits..fresh tuna...and and after dindin an ice cold catnip beverage...

wolf

trubluedog
August 19, 2004, 08:47 PM
Dog owners beware!!! Dogs are dropping left and right.
There is a Dog Sniper on the loose!!!

Iron Mike
August 19, 2004, 10:01 PM
I wonder if that cat is holding a Mouser.

cidirkona
April 26, 2005, 05:08 AM
Wow... I can't beleive this thread still exsists... Some people never throw anything away!

-Colin

Drysdale
December 20, 2005, 12:04 PM
Dogs have masters.

Cats have staff.

Dogs are Democrats...

Cats are Libertarians... :)

tegemu
December 20, 2005, 02:42 PM
I am a cay lover, have one in my arms as I type, but I can see why some folks love dogs. It is nice to have something to dominate, especially if you are married, insecure or not confidant enough in your manhood to be concerned about somehow being thought 'Un-macho." It's great to have to have something to walk or be let in and out on demand, bathe frequently, etc.

doc jake
December 20, 2005, 03:00 PM
Thatís how criminals develop. Starts as a cat burglar and develops into a dog killer. Notice it picks on an easy target like a Labrador never something like a German shepherd.

XLMiguel
December 20, 2005, 05:50 PM
Dogs have Masters, Cats have Staff

IndianaDean
December 20, 2005, 08:12 PM
As I love cats, and this didn't happen to me, I can get a nice laugh out of this.

LadySmith
December 21, 2005, 03:41 AM
Mike in VA, that is the coolest cat photo. S/he looks ready to issue executive orders to the staff while having the means to back them up.

V4Vendetta
December 21, 2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the laugh. I needed one. This reminds me of something that happened to my dad.

He used to be a meat cutter. Well one day a lady came in the store for some ground chuck for her cat. She said that if it wasn't fresh ground right then, her cat wouldn't eat it. My dad suggested feeding the cat some lead:evil: . That lady got so upset :fire: . Later the manager came back to where my dad works & told him that "you've gotta be careful about how you talk about peoples pets".

silverlance
December 21, 2005, 11:27 AM
I have a similar story to Wolf's. I wanted a dog to help me guard the house after a burgulary in which all my guns were stolen, but the pound which I had spent 6 hours at "interviewing" and "bonding" denied me two days later, saying that I had insufficient experience with dogs to be a good caretaker. Of course, I should have left right away after seeing owners referred to as "parents".... I like to think of my pets as my underlings or, at best, partners.

Anyhow, right after I get the phone call I find a dog lying about 2 days from starving to death next to my car in the faculty parking lot. $500 of vet work, rescue discounted to $300, later (all the pet hospitol did was cut his collar off, which had cut into his throat, shave the area and dress the wound, and keep him kenneled for two days... grrr...) I had a very loyal and effective watchdog.

Well, I also have cats. Or, rather, my roommate does. Fortunately they are both short hair cats (we both hate long hair cats), and the fur really isn't that bad. But one cat really distrusts Stalin (my dog) and actually has charged him hissing and swiping more than one time. Of course, Stalin percieves the challenge as a challenge to his ability to defend us, so it gets interesting after that point...

But the other cat sleeps witht he dog. Strange.

V4Vendetta
December 21, 2005, 11:35 AM
My older brother has a cat named Sadie. I call her Satan. She is inherently evil. I just walked past her one time, no trying to pet her or steal her food, she let out a hiss that made me think there was a snake beside me.:what: I jumped out the way like a rabbit. I don't go to his house anymore.

f4t9r
December 21, 2005, 02:09 PM
Thats funny , I enjoyed

Peet
December 21, 2005, 03:41 PM
Dogs:

Humans feed them, take care of them, love them. They think we're gods.

Cats:

Humans feed them, take care of them, love them. They know they're gods.

beaucoup ammo
December 21, 2005, 04:06 PM
My dog and kat laugh at the same things! Namely the attempts at political humor in this thread!!

Take Care

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

If you enjoyed reading about "Who says cats don't have a sense of humor? (Yes, this is firearms-related!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!