Please Help! Lee 4 Hole Turret?

PDA

357mag357
November 14, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just started to have trouble with my Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index. During the charging and belling stage the brass is getting crushed on one side. It doesn’t do it all the time. I am using mixed brass that has been cleaned and polished. I have been reloading for about 5 years with this press without any problems. The case I am reloading is a 38 Special using Lee dies. I have not call Lee yet, wanted to see what you all think. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Help! Lee 4 Hole Turret?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyFN
November 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
The only thing I can think of is the powder dies is set a little too low. I had that happen once and got a similar result.
Rusty

357mag357
November 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks. Will give it a try.

Remo-99
November 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
from those pics, the casemouth is catching on the edge of the expander/case charger insert of the die. rounding/smoothing the edge may fix the issue, but it shouldn't be doing that in the first place.

FoMoGo
November 15, 2008, 10:21 AM
Make sure it is fully indexing the turret, if it is just a fraction off it will do this exact thing.

Jim

357mag357
November 15, 2008, 05:58 PM
Remo. After looking at that part that bells the case it was not smooth. I used a very fine grain of sand paper and smoothed it out. So far so good. Thanks. I wonder why it happened it the first place? Does that part need to be replaced on occation?

D. Manley
November 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
First thing I'd be sure of is that the turret is "locking up" at precisely the index detent. As long as you've been running it, you may have a little wear on the little black, plastic, index ratchet or, may just need to adjust indexing slightly. I doubt if its your problem (since you've ran it so long) but you can also activate the lever so quickly on the upstroke as to cause the turret to overspin and go past the detent a bit.

Txhillbilly
November 16, 2008, 05:57 AM
I gave up on Lee's auto index along time ago,and removed it from my press. Now I just rotate the turret by hand and it works even better for me.

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 11:23 AM
Timing is off just a tad...

jfh
November 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
I agree that the case ding is typically caused by the index timing being off a bit--but there's another reason as well:

If the press is not perfectly level, the "play" in the shell holder will allow the case to tilt slightly--and the case rim can "catch" on the die.

I discovered this problem after I set up my bench--and discovered there was a slight pitch (1/8") in my basement concrete floor. rather than disassemble and re-shim the bench, (which is locked down with some structural shelving) I live with it.

With taller cases, or those with a higher height ratio, the top of the case can tilt out enough to catch.

The solution for me was to "build in" a slight push with my off thumb at the insertion point of the stroke. Some practice makes it habitual, BTW, but do look out for pinching yourself while learning it.

Jim H.

357mag357
November 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think the timing is off. Remo had it right. It was the expander plug inside the the charging die. It needed to be smoothed out. Lee wants 3 dollars for it.

TEDDY
November 17, 2008, 09:41 PM
they will also replace it free if you call them

If you enjoyed reading about "Please Help! Lee 4 Hole Turret?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!