Desert Eagle MkVII in .41magnum???

PDA

AirPower
September 18, 2003, 12:18 AM
Thinking of getting a DE MkVII, but is .41mag ammo hard to find? Does anyone know about swapping parts to shoot the .44mag?

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle MkVII in .41magnum???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kamicosmos
September 18, 2003, 12:30 AM
Not sure about the 41 Mark VII in regards to interchangable parts.... Maybe able to change the barrel, I think the bolt is the same as a .44...

I've seen them in the CDNN cataloge for a good price.

41 Mag is a handloader round, pretty uncommon on the store shelves, and with the DEs, you need to watch bullet selection, which is hard to do with commerical ammo, specially commercial reloads.

SoCalGeek
September 18, 2003, 12:46 AM
my understanding is that the only time you need to swap a bolt is if you're using the .357mag, and if you want to switch between the other calibers you need only change the barrel and magazine, and in some cases they even take the same mags.

AirPower
September 18, 2003, 01:29 AM
Kept giving myself excuses for delaying the path to reloading but this one might just do it. The thing is how about the components for the .41mag? ie. brass, bullet. And if you reload .41mag, any idea about the average cost of the round? I'm still thinking of swapping for .44mag just so that it's pretty cheap and common.

AirPower
September 18, 2003, 01:42 AM
by the way I'm asking because I'm looking into getting a used (100rd fired) Desert Eagle MkVII in .41mag for $400. I think it's a good price but I'm thinking about swapping barrel for .44mag so that I can get common caliber.

Black Snowman
September 18, 2003, 03:49 AM
Only Mk VII that can swap barrells is the . 50 AE It is the slide the MK 19s are based on and the frames are all identical from the Mk. I to the MK 19 except for materials (as far as fitting barrels and slides).

So in a MK VII in order to shoot 44 Mag you would have to either replace the slide to fit the MK 19 barrels or find a Mk 7 .44 mag complete upper. Not very likely.

So if you don't want to shoot .41 mag don't get it, but it's a good price. If I had the money I'd get it.

WhoKnowsWho
September 18, 2003, 11:01 AM
My wife got the Mark VII .41 Mag from CDNN, and I got the loading equipment to support it.

To change calibers, you need the whole slide assembly, and magazine. I read a lot of information at this site http://zvis.com/dep/dep.shtml a large Desert Eagle FAQ.

The reloading has been fun, and I have tons more control over what we fire, i.e. we can be sure it is a no exposed lead bullet. I picked up my brass (Remington) and bullets (Hornady XTP) at http://www.grafs.com since I also ordered my turret press there. I am not sure how long the brass will last, but I am staying at about the starting charges with Accurate Arms #9 powder, and applying very little crimp to help the brass out.

Go for it, it's a nice caliber, now I am thinking of getting a revolver in the same caliber later. And the gun is a hoot to shoot!

hksw
September 18, 2003, 02:36 PM
The slide on my Mk. VII .44mag is stamped .41/.44. Although I was not interested in ever shooting .41 mag when I bought it a long time ago, I took it to mean that the slide and bolt would work for both the .41mag and .44mag. The barrel would, of course, need to be swapped out but I'm not sure of the recoil springs.

It was during the Mk. VII era that IMI dropped the .41 mag and so the slides were eventually stamped just .44.

TODD3465
September 18, 2003, 04:40 PM
Yep, my has the same stamping also, .41/.44.

AirPower
September 20, 2003, 11:04 PM
So since the frame is the same, and the slide is marked for both .41/.44, if I can locate a MkVII .44mag barrel it should work? I know that magazine and the bolt assemblies are the same for both calibers.

Looks like I"m getting a good deal on a $400 like new Desert Eagle, I'm going for it. Just need to start looking into reloading.

WhoKnowsWho
September 21, 2003, 05:55 AM
Try messaging Magnum Research for a definite answer, and they can probably help you find the .44 Magnum barrel and such also. The e-mailed me back within 24 hours on the weekday when I asked some questions.

JOE MACK
September 21, 2003, 10:45 PM
For the cartridge, the DE is overkill as far as size goes. I picked up the two barrel package when it became available just for the collection. There are quite a few better choices for a hunting/packing handgun in .41Magnum that you can also shoot lead out of without worry. RKBA!

AirPower
September 23, 2003, 01:26 AM
Got the DE today, and all I have to say is WOW! If you want a handcannon this is it. Even in 41 it's a super pistol! Makes me feel like a Robocop. :D

Definitely worth $400!

Abominable No-Man
September 23, 2003, 11:00 PM
I fired one of the early Desert Eagles in .41 mag. Sweet gun, lots of fun. Maybe not the most practical thing in the world, and ammo is a bit hard to find, but it's a lot of fun, and it makes you feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger when you touch it off!

Thought they quit making it in .41 mag, tho. If I was to get one, it would be in .357, but that's just me.

ANM

AirPower
September 28, 2003, 04:12 PM
Cleaned the big monstrousity up this week...very nicely built. I have to say its' the beefiest handgun ever. Should last a long long time. as for the weight, it's actually pretty balanced since the whole thing's steel, unlike some of the aluminum or polymer frame guns. It is definitely heavy, but still usable, definitely not for CCW but it is COOL looking, I'm getting a wow from everyone who's seen it.

They did stop making the .41mag, that's why this is the Mk.VII, not the newest Mk.XIX. (Dont' ask me how they jumped from Mk.I to Mk.VII, then all the way to Mk.XIX in 3 steps). The original DE Mk.I was in 357, then in 357, 41, 44 and 50AE in Mk.VII. Then finally they made the components between calibers easier to swap, and hence the Mk.XIX, but in the process they stopped making for .41mag. I hvae yet to shoot a .41 in any gun, so we'll see how this DE handles it, I'd expect recoil to be minimized by the heft.

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle MkVII in .41magnum???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!