when will the dust settle on this run on guns

PDA

97guns
November 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
this buying frenzy is reeediculus, its the worst ive seen. ive been eyeballing a couple of bolt actions from an online dealer and even they have been either sold out or price adjusted. ive never seen anything like this one and im gonna just have to wait for the dust to clear BUT WHEN ??????

If you enjoyed reading about "when will the dust settle on this run on guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LightningJoe
November 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well, after the ban kicks in.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
November 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
Most people only have so much spare spending money---won't take long.

pharmer
November 15, 2008, 10:09 AM
Most folks paying the "minimum" on their Credit Cards. That's the next shoe to drop. Credit hasn't been cut off to these folks. Yet. Joe

Lone_Gunman
November 15, 2008, 10:11 AM
I think gun sales will be very brisk for several years, until Obama signs the next great gun ban. This could come as early as his first term, if the Democrats choose to use a new AWB as a bargaining chip to reach a compromise for some more important bill with the Republicans, or it could wait til his second term, when Obama won't have anything to lose and can actually rule from the standpoint of his true beliefs, rather than by a need to get re-elected.

Fat Boy
November 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
I heard on the radio news yesterday that sales were down in all categories except food, and maybe one other "staple" category...funny they didn't mention gun sales.

I think it is interesting that in what are being defined as financially difficult times gun sales are at such a high point-

diamondsun
November 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
Pharmer, I think that other shoe is dropped and already falling. When I hear Clark Howard talking about small businesses running credit feeling the crunch of having their credit lines yanked and their credit card limits dropped (in the worst cases from $20k to $500) without any warning, then Joe Consumer isn't far behind.

Wedge
November 15, 2008, 11:20 AM
Probably pretty soon. People need to tighten up their belts, increase available cash and go to a more conservative spending model.

I think that the whole consumer market is going to change and we'll see a lot more CASH purchases and less CREDIT. CASH is king so my guess is the gun rush will end soon (mostly been standard capacity .223, 7.62x39 rifles and 9mm handguns from what I have seen) and people will work to build their cash reserve base.

Spending a ton of money on guns only to run out of CASH is a terrible idea and I think that concept will be driven home before the end of Nov.

hso
November 15, 2008, 11:22 AM
Supply is all but exhausted on EBRs due to the run on guns so the sales on EBRs will have to drop after this weekend somewhat and probably stay down until the companies that have put on extra production shifts start to ship in a week. Then you'll see another surge as those EBRs hit the retail outlets.

Sales will dip around Thanksgiving as families spend more on the standard holiday expenses and then pick up a bit towards Christmas and stay steady with a spike toward Jan. 20 and stay up the first week of the new administration. After that, sales on EBRs will steadily decline back to pre-panic levels.

Just Jim
November 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
People will be out of money soon and guns won't be bought much after that. The banks have stopped credit cards for anyone who doesn't have a fico score of 750 and lowered limits on those who have good credit.

Gun stores are laughing and happy as hell now but the ones who don't take care of their customers will be singing the blues real soon. Life is a bubble and the bubble burst sooner or later.

jj

X-Rap
November 15, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm buying guns for all my kids Christmas presents.

MagnumDweeb
November 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
My father the anti finally gave in. He's never been a complete anti, he's never donated to the anti groups, never told people to their face about his beliefs but every once in awhile he'd rant when he was in foul mood. Mind you he owns an old Remington Rifle, Model 70 I think because he used one in Vietnam in the early years, and an old Colt 1911 one of his friends left him in his will. When my mom wanted guns of her own me and him knocked heads and told my mom if she wanted some she had to come up with the money, so I signed her up for focus groups and such and chipped in for her birthday and christmas.

Even though my mom owns a keltec .32 (i know, i know but she has bad arthritis and eye sight) and Taurus 85, and has her CCW. She went with me and my Dad on Friday (they are still married) to the local off the main roads pawnshop I get my transfers from and my Dad got himself a Ruger P89 for just under $300 after I did some haggling and a Taurus 82 (.38 Special with 4" barrel) for for $250, they'd been sitting in his shop for well over a year and I knew the owner had paid half that for the guns (because at one point he told me and probably didn't remember telling me). My mom got a Kel-Tec P11 for $250.

So now we are all going to the range next weekend.

I've got my suped up SKS, Yugo Mauser, 12 guage, and a host of handguns. I've got my ammo stockup in and am holding onto my original $500 project funds and have been adding to it each week after taking on another two customers to mow their yards (an extra forty bucks for the two of them). I'm by no means underarmed so I'm just waiting to see if the market goes south and their might be some good second hand buys at the gun show.

ranger335v
November 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
"...wait for the dust to clear BUT WHEN ??????"

Feb. 22, '09, 4:33 pm, Eastern time. ???? :uhoh:

yeti
November 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
Feb. 22, '09, 4:33 pm, Eastern time. ????

4:45 pm, if you are not going to be correct, at least be accurate.:neener::evil:

Rshooter
November 15, 2008, 06:15 PM
I would have to agree that prices and inventory cannot stay this way. I have talked to some people and it seems that everyone who can buy has bought. Everybody else is trying to come up with the cash or knows that they are never going to have "that much".

MIL-DOT
November 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
I was asked "how much" for an AK I was lugging around an Atlanta area gunshow today, about once a minute for the first 10 minutes I was there. I think it was the 11th guy that kicked down the cash.

Mt Shooter
November 15, 2008, 06:51 PM
Think there will be a fire sale? I picked up a SKS for 60 bucks back when the Clinton ban was about to make the books. Wonder if there will be any good deals this time around as the ban moves closer.

VegasOPM
November 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
It'll calm down by mid- February and there will be an abrupt slowdown in gun sales and cheaper ammo by July, 2009- when the troops start coming home.

If you enjoyed reading about "when will the dust settle on this run on guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!