Policing brass?

PDA

eng23ine
November 15, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm looking for tips and tricks that you folks use to find your used brass while shooting on grassy ranges.

If you enjoyed reading about "Policing brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
straight-shooter
November 15, 2008, 10:33 PM
Only thing I can think of is you could lay a tarp next to you on the ground to catch "most" of it. I have a brass catcher for my AR-15 that attaches to the rifle.

tlen
November 15, 2008, 10:51 PM
Mark your case heads with a felt tip marker......

nicholst55
November 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
When shooting .45 ACP in the grass, I always look for the 'black holes.' That's the case mouth staring up at you.

Otherwise, spreading a ground cloth is an excellent idea.

jcwit
November 15, 2008, 11:55 PM
Ou range has benches that I attach a fishing dip net to. The net is adjustable for height and angle and catches both handgun & rifle brass. With this method youre not holding up the brass while shooting.

1858rem
November 16, 2008, 01:44 AM
shoot a revolver lol

Bush Pilot
November 16, 2008, 04:33 AM
Go to Home Depot and get a brass & copper magnet, I've heard they work great.

rg1
November 16, 2008, 05:39 AM
An inexpensive metal detector will find most all your brass but at a gun range might not be useable from all the metal scrap already in the ground. Works great shooting at private property. Maybe you'd find some buried treasure too?

kelbro
November 16, 2008, 09:52 AM
I shoot lefthanded rifles. The LH brass magnets at Home Depot have been on backorder for months.

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hands and knees approach to case location in grass...Also complaining to the range owner to mow the grass shorter and more often...Telling the rangemaster that you will not leave the range until you locate all your brass and to leave the lights on...Removal of the grass and replacing it with dirt has aided in brass location too. I have brought my own grass removal tools to accomplish this, but be prepared to relocate to another range.

Ditchtiger
November 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
Tie a string to the rim of your shell, then tie the other end onto your trigger gaurd. After you fire the empty will be hanging right there below your gun. Works every time.

mikle76
November 16, 2008, 11:30 AM
The brass and copper magnets are in!!! They are right next to the sky hooks and pallet stretchers. The left handed model, sadly, is still on back order.

evan price
November 16, 2008, 02:43 PM
I attach a microtag to each case and use my GPS satellite tracker to find them.

Since that got expensive I trained my dog to sniff out cases.

Seriously, my techique is to walk the grass slowly, with my feet shuffling side-to-side to feel for any bumps in the grass. It might be gravel, it might be a case. Helps to do it in bright noon sunshine.

PotatoJudge
November 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
If you can, back a truck up next to where you're shooting. Only do this if the truck can stand a few more scratches.

buck460XVR
November 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
broom rake

Walkalong
November 16, 2008, 03:12 PM
These guys are ingenious. Me, I still just crawl around looking for it. I am lucky as far as I don't have to shoot in grassy areas. Just dirt and some gravel. When I was younger I used to be quite anal/picky/nuts. I would count my rounds and leave no brass behind, but nowadays I just pick up what I can find easily and go home. :)

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
Next question, Eng23ine...:neener:

mbkmkk
November 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
These guys are ingenious. Me, I still just crawl around looking for it. I am lucky as far as I don't have to shoot in grassy areas. Just dirt and some gravel. When I was younger I used to be quite anal/picky/nuts. I would count my rounds and leave no brass behind, but nowadays I just pick up what I can find easily and go home.

And what is wrong with having every single piece of brass you came with????:scrutiny:

I refuse to leave the range until every one of my babies are returned to me.:D

Walkalong
November 16, 2008, 04:45 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing them all home, but you too will age. I bet you don't know what it is like yet for your joints to hurt for no good reason. :D

mbkmkk
November 16, 2008, 04:51 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing them all home, but you too will age. I bet you don't know what it is like yet for your joints to hurt for no good reason.

The sad thing is, I actually do know what it is like to have my joints hurt for no good reason, so instead of crawling around looking for missing brass, I go home mad. :cuss:......:D

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
Well guys...I'm not old yet like you two...:neener:

mbkmkk
November 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
Well guys...I'm not old yet like you two...

Hey!.....I never said I was old.....I said my joints hurt.:mad:....;)

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well...O K...But walkalong IS old.

pepperbelly
November 16, 2008, 06:48 PM
I got tired of crawling on my knees when I started pucking up brass at my local PDs range.
I now use a plastic tine grass rake. I put the brass into a few small piles and put it in buckets.

Jim

Walkalong
November 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
But walkalong IS old.Yep, I usually get someone to pinch run for me on the MABL 18 and over baseball team I manage and play on. We are allowed two players to designate a runner for. (Old guys local league rule ;)) I did not need to do that two years ago.

Aleve, joint relief meds, (over the counter) and a good warm up gets me through the games OK. I still act young, but my body is letting me down. I can still hit, I just don't run so well any more. :)

In my heavon I will get to shoot and play baseball all day long. :D

jcwit
November 16, 2008, 08:59 PM
I like the string idea, never thought of it. Will have to try it this week, will it work with heavy loads or should I use just light loads.

The Bushmaster
November 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
The heavier the load the heavier the string...:D

lgbloader
November 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
You could try having your buddy stand next to you with a net to catch all the brass spitting out.

*seriously, I have shot revolver to avoid having to argue with the fellow handloader next to me before. What the hell, they need to be shot. (the revolvers, not the Handloaders)

LGB>

The Bushmaster
November 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Oh I don't know...Some reloaders might need to be shot...:D

ChuteTheMall
November 17, 2008, 12:48 AM
Wear a low cut dress and a Wonderbra.

:D

tribbles
November 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
Kids are great for picking up loose brass - just give them gloves, they tend to complain about hot brass.

Beagle-zebub
November 17, 2008, 10:04 PM
I attach a microtag to each case and use my GPS satellite tracker to find them.

Betcha he shoots 10mm.

eng23ine
November 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for *most* of the replies guys!

I went by my local Home Depot and they are sold out of brass magnets, but they are running a special on rotor wash...bought 10gal.

Spent all afternoon tying string to some 30rd AR mags..think that might be the trick.

Asked the RO to go and cut the grass, She told me to kiss her a$$ ( I think I shouldn't ask her questions while she's washing dishes)

I guess I'm gonna have to just keep putting sheets down to catch spent brass...but some cases always seem to fall through the eye holes.

Bozo
November 18, 2008, 08:50 PM
Kids and grandkids, that is the best of them all. They delight in going after and finding most all of the cases.

Gage
November 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
I got a GOFER pick up tool. They are $10 at your local department store/pharmacy. You squeeze the handle to open the "jaws" (they look like two suction cups) pick up the brass and drop into a bucket. My bucket is a coffee can rivetted to a three foot handle. So no repeated bending and after a while I have gotten pretty quick at it. I pick up sand and blades of grass sometimes but I'd rather sift that out than bend over for all my brass (and the range brass).

BigBlock
November 19, 2008, 03:37 AM
This is why god gave us revolvers.

Or you could hire a midget...

CBP
November 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
The first idea is the best. I use a 10' x 20' tarp and stake it at the corners and middle with tent stakes. One breath of wind and the tarp flips up in the air and sends your brass flying like you bounced it off a trampoline. The tarp works great though. Now I can spend more time shooting. It takes about 20 seconds to pick up my brass after going through a magazine. The best thing is you can see the brass immediately. The bigger the better though with a tarp. My Ruger P90 tends to fling them about 12 feet, so I always set the tarp so I'm standing at the front corner.

Bush Pilot
November 20, 2008, 11:08 PM
A couple of years ago I was shooting a 1911 as fast as I could put in fresh magazines. After a few minutes (and 150 or so rounds) I noticed some guy had been picking up my brass. When I asked him what he was doing he replied that he didn't think I was a reloader and didn't think I'd mind if he took my brass. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him (after the last round was picked up) I was and please put MY brass on the bench next to my shooting bag. I felt sorry for the guy for about 20 seconds.

rfwobbly
November 20, 2008, 11:42 PM
"Kids and grandkids, that is the best of them all."

Paint your brass all different colors and tell the kids it's time for the "Easter brass" hunt !

:rolleyes:

rondog
November 21, 2008, 02:05 AM
I'm lucky that all of my gun club's ranges are wide, flat bare dirt areas, several separate pistol and rifle ranges. They keep it scraped with a tractor and blade too, and spray the weeds they can't scrape off.

It's pretty easy to find my brass, and lots of extras that others seem to "forget". And the wind and rain always seem to uncover lots of old brass.

Since each range is essentially private because there's plenty of them and no need to "share", there's no question that you can have what you find. Ain't nobody else there.

I think there's a dozen like this one, from 25 to 100 yards, some narrow, some really wide for events/multiple shooters. Private club, very remote, usually pretty quiet and dead during the week. You can drive right down to the impact areas and setup/teardown/cleanup your targets and stands, and you can put the benches anywhere you want. I usually setup right near the left corner of my tailgate, and the brass plops down around the bench. I have access to ALL of the crap that I drag with me, I even bought a screened picnic tent thingie for shade in the summer.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DSCN1781.jpg

rickomatic
November 21, 2008, 09:57 PM
I shoot lefthanded rifles. The LH brass magnets at Home Depot have been on backorder for months.

Harbor Freight had a cheap one in their flyer last month, but the darned thing would only pick up Wolf cases.

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Policing brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!