What's the difference between a Blackhawk, and a Super Blackhawk?

PDA

MikePGS
November 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
Aside from caliber, that is. The specs seem pretty much identical on the ruger website (the super blackhawk is actually an ounce lighter) even though .45 lc can be driven to power levels meeting or exceeding that of .44 mag (albiet with less pressure). Is this simply a hold over from when Ruger came out with the first .44 mag, or is there some difference I'm just not seeing?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the difference between a Blackhawk, and a Super Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
November 16, 2008, 02:31 AM
I believe the grip size if larger for the Super Blackhawks vrs the standard Blackhawk. Used to be the only .44 mag offering in the Single actions was the Super Blackhawk with square back trigger and 7-1/2" barrel, now they have .41 mag Supers and the .44 mag in the Vaquero and "flattop" early style Blackhawks.

Gun 4 Fun
November 16, 2008, 02:58 AM
Yep, the only difference is the grip frame. They are all made on the same size cylinder frame. The Super's in .44m have either the dragoon style [square back trigger gaurd] or the standard grip frame with the round back gaurd which is the same on all other calibers.

Leadhead
November 16, 2008, 03:49 AM
The SuperBlackhawkHunter's grip frame has the round trigger gaurd but is bigger then the regular Blackhawk plow handle grip frame.
The Hunter's grip frame would be sweet on a 4 5/8 SuperBlackHawk!

BigBlock
November 16, 2008, 04:05 AM
Also, the hammer on the SBH is much more thumb friendly.

bakert
November 16, 2008, 02:01 PM
The older SBHs had the square back trigger guard and longer grip frame like the one compared to a BH .45 Colt below. The newer Supers have the same size grip frame as the Blackhawk but made of steel instead of aluminum. Like leadhead said I believe the Hunter model's grip frame is a bit larger/longer. Check this link for more info
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture362-1.jpg

madcratebuilder
November 17, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hammer, unfluted cylinder on most, dragoon trigger guard on most. Many variations out today, forty years ago you could count them on one hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the difference between a Blackhawk, and a Super Blackhawk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!