XDm 9 Pros and Cons

PDA

chemclay
November 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
looking for opinions from those who have experience with this gun. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "XDm 9 Pros and Cons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Agent-J
November 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
First MAJOR con is that they don't ship the XDM's to NY because they don't make 10 rd mags =(

jocko
November 16, 2008, 05:32 PM
agent-J. first major con for u is living in NY, which is the east coast subsidary of komifornia!!!!

COMPNOR
November 16, 2008, 06:17 PM
Bought mine Nov 5, been to the range 3 times since, only put a few hundred rounds through it.

Mainly 115gr Blazer Brass but today I tried some Winchester 147gr JHP.

And I like it. Points nicely, 19+1 capacity, easy takedown that doesn't require you to pull the trigger or put you finger in the slide when its locked back, and accurate.

possum
November 16, 2008, 07:06 PM
pros'
it is a sa xd
it is a sa gun, and they take care of thier customers,
they are accurate, and come with a few upgrades over the reugular xd's,
and they are 19+1 that is a big pro right there.

con's
the only con's i see is if you are used to shooting the regular xd's like i am, then the "m's" point differently and that is something i would have to get used to, and since my xd service i have had for years is my go to gun for everything, i am not gonna learn another gun, i will be sticking with my xd service.

chemclay
November 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
possum: have you made any modifications to your XD?

priler
November 16, 2008, 08:06 PM
this is only my personal opinion and you should take it as such with a grain of salt.

there are way too many pros for me to list because it is basically a very good gun so i will only list the cons as i see it.

1)internal extractor-i simply prefer external extractors that are well made because they tend to be more forgiving(therefore more reliable) with cases that the rim is not to specs.also,with the internal type,the specific metal that is used is much more critical.will they go "on the cheap" and use stamp metal some where on the production line?

2)rear grip safety-again,just a personal thing but to me it's not necessary and can make you dead...poor grip or not being able to rack the slide.

3)last i heard SA will not sell you extra parts.this is absolutely ridiculous.there are many reasons why you may want to have extra parts.if you have a problem,they want you to send it in.that's ok but they should sell you extra parts directly from SA and not have to go aftermarket. check and see if this is still so.

possum
November 16, 2008, 08:09 PM
possum: have you made any modifications to your XD?
1st welcome to thr.

2nd. yes i have, i had a set of trijicon 3 dot night sights installed and the armory kote black on the sldie by sa.

internals i swaped the factory recoil spring with a don's guide rod and wolff recoil springs. i have used both the 22# and the 17# springs they both worked great.

the grip tape on there i have taken off, b/c i carry and it was rubbing me the wrong way :)
and of course i have a light for night stand duty.

the gun has over 9k through it and i love it.

possum
November 16, 2008, 08:14 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/rollins_joshua/oneinthepipe.jpg

possum
November 16, 2008, 08:18 PM
2)rear grip safety-again,just a personal thing but to me it's not necessary and can make you dead...poor grip or not being able to rack the slide.

3)last i heard SA will not sell you extra parts.this is absolutely ridiculous.there are many reasons why you may want to have extra parts.if you have a problem,they want you to send it in.that's ok but they should sell you extra parts directly from SA and not have to go aftermarket. check and see if this is still so.
lets get somethings straight here. 1st and foremost i have never found myself in a situation where the grip safety has caused me not to be able to work my gun or the slide no matter how sloppy my grip or waht i was doing and i have been in some pretty compromising postions while training. if you want pics i will share them.

2ndly, there are plenty of parts avaliable for the sa xd. www.pistogear.com i can get everything there and more. sa does what they do about parts, but i can tell you this if there is an issue they will take care of you, and it won't cost you a dime, and they will throw in free stuff too.

1SOW
November 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
possum: My son's interested in the 9mm M. He shoots the service .45.
We didn't know it points differently. Did they change the grip angle?
Did they Glockemsize it?

possum
November 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
My son's interested in the 9mm M.
We didn't know it points differently. Did they change the grip angle?
Did they Glockemsize it?

i don't know what they did differently for sure, but i know when i push out with my xd the sights are aligned perfectly, when i would push out with the m, the front sights was way high not even close to having a good sight alignment, and i would have to drop the front of the barrel down to get the right alignment.

1SOW
November 16, 2008, 09:39 PM
possum:Hmmm
Maybe you can clarify: I can draw and point-shoot a Sig 239, CZ75B, XD Service .45, Beretta92, or High Std .22 and put a hole in/near center mass at 7-10 yds without using the sights (uspsa silouette). Am I going to tend to shoot high with XDM 9??
The guns I normally shoot have the basic .45 Colt grip angle. The problem you mentioned I have with Glocks.....it's one reason I don't shoot them.

chemclay
November 16, 2008, 09:39 PM
thank you this is very reassuring info-i hope to have an XDM 9 soon. if all it needs is shooting to break in, well, i can enjoy doing that:)

possum
November 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
possum:Hmmm
Maybe you can clarify: I can draw and point-shoot a Sig 239, CZ75B, XD Service .45, Beretta92, or High Std .22 and put a hole in/near center mass at 7-10 yds without using the sights (uspsa silouette). Am I going to tend to shoot high with XDM 9??

in my experience yes, i hit higher. still within the heart box, but for more precise shots it would take me longer to get the sights aligned right.

f4t9r
November 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
I really like the gun. I do not have any cons

If you enjoyed reading about "XDm 9 Pros and Cons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!