Dirty words in firearm marketing

PDA

R.W.Dale
November 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Another thread got me to thinking about how in many cases in the world of firearms manufacturers you'll never hear certain things called what they actually are. Some examples are...

first is what the firearms community calls it and second is what normal folks call it

Polymer = plastic

coatings = paint

non reflective stainless = we were too lazy to go beyond bead blasting

gun cleaning spray = brake/kleen

new cartridge = we changed the shoulder location on a 120yr old Mauser chambering

entry = carbine

combat = we'll charge 20% more

anyone else care to take a stab at coming up with more examples. Please bear in mind this thread isn't meant to be taken very seriously

If you enjoyed reading about "Dirty words in firearm marketing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
November 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
gun cleaners are not brake cleaner. If they were, they'd strip just about any finish off of the metal, and destroy most wood and plastic furniture.

You could argue that every cartridge is simply a variation of an existing one. But you could also say the same thing about cars, planes, etc..

About the only thing I can think of that seems to be taboo in the firearms marketing industry is, never use the word kill.

MikePGS
November 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
Tactical = you probably think it'll make you shoot better

PTK
November 16, 2008, 09:48 PM
Polymer used in firearms =/= ordinary plastic. :)

biggiesmalls
November 16, 2008, 10:50 PM
this could be an interesting game to play. i'll think of some!

scythefwd
November 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
PTK ain't that the truth. I believe that lexan is a polymer, and silicon is a polymer, and believe it or not... silly putty is a polymer. A polymer is a "A polymer is a large molecule (macromolecule) composed of repeating structural units typically connected by covalent chemical bonds. " - wikipedia, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

At least they have stopped using the word polycarbonate as a substitution for polymer (usually plastic). If ya want, I work with a lady who has a degree (masters I think, but at least a bachelors) in plastics (what she is doing in an Information Assurance role I will never get), I can ask her for some more info. I think glass may actually fit that definition.

Owen
November 16, 2008, 10:57 PM
there are many many coating that are not paint.

BornAgainBullseye
November 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
I use brake cleaner. It has not stripped off any metal coatings of my guns. Now I will not spray wood or plastic with it. And if you read the gun scrubber label it says not to use it on wood or plastic either. But people are still entitled to their opinions on this stuff.

paintballdude902
November 16, 2008, 11:04 PM
improved= we got out the dremel

mitchells authentic war relic k98 mauser = we took a yugo and sanded the stock to rip you off

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
Teflon is a polymer, hahah.

"Polymer" just indicates a chain of molecules.

misternothingman
November 16, 2008, 11:13 PM
You've got a valid point for sure, but myself and the rest of the "precision wording police" are deducting points for the materials violations.

Materials have the characteristics that they do mostly due to the types of molecular bonds that exist within the material. Plastics bend and deform easily because they have a combination of covalent and Van Der Waals bonds that allow the molecules to literally slip past each other causing deformation of the material as a whole. Most metals have covalent bonds that make them malleable or ductile at elevated temperatures, and many ceramics exhibit Ionic bonding, which as everyone who has ever dropped glass or a plate knows results in easy shattering of said material rather than the dents or bends metals and plastics exhibit after abuse.

It is my understanding that a polymer does not necessarily have to be a plastic, while a plastic is by definition a polymer. So in other words Plastics are under the Polymer family of materials.

Times like these make me glad I'm spending the money to get the education I'm getting, while the rest of the time I wonder if its worth it.

RKBABob
November 16, 2008, 11:15 PM
Tactical = Its painted black
or
Tactical = The slide is 3 inches longer than normal
Concealed Carry Package = Gun comes with a Fobus holster
Commerative Special Edition = $150 extra for 5 minutes on the engraver

Bubba613
November 16, 2008, 11:29 PM
Tactical: Its black, short, and costs 25% more.

Operator: See Tactical

SF: See Operator

Dookie
November 17, 2008, 03:08 AM
Polymer is a honeycomb structure, as anyone should know the honeycomb is one of the strongest structures on the planet. Polymer is not plastic, it is plastic based, but that is like saying pot metal is stainless steel.

Parkerizing is a coating, powder COATING

Accurized - floated the barrel.

PTK
November 17, 2008, 03:44 AM
Parkerizing is a coating

Point of interest... Parkerizing is a phosphate conversion of the surface of the metal. It's not a coating. :)

jlh26oo
November 17, 2008, 06:44 AM
"tactical" = black, different length, and/or N.S.'s +20%
"combat" = green +20%
"target" = has adjustable sights + 20%
"match grade" = Y.M.M.V. + 20%

I think my all-time favorite is Springfield's playing off the (M) factor. Some of these are laughable reaches just to be able to start the feature with an M. They actually used maximum, major, and mega (twice) L.O.L.

(M)aximum reach mag release
(M)ega capacity magazine
(M)inimal error dissasembly
(M)odel contour frame
(M)ega-lock texture
(M)ajor grasp slide
(M)inimal reset trigger
(M)ould-tru backstraps
(M)ulti-adjust rail system
(M)ulti-use carrying case
(M)elonite (finally one that didn't require mental gymnastics)
(M)atch Grade Barrel (of course!)

All-time record for creative (M)arketing strategy. And just to be clear, I'm L.O.L.'ing at HOW they market it only, not the product itself. I am certain that like all X.D.'s it is a solid performer, if a little heavy for a 4.5" polymer pistol (2lbs w/empty mag!). I.E. (M)assive.

foghornl
November 17, 2008, 07:45 AM
"New & Improved!"

It is the same old POS in new packaging....

1911 guy
November 17, 2008, 08:23 AM
Short Magnum = We put 75 year old performance in a new brass tube. It kicks hard and burns too much powder, but we know you're a sucker for new stuff.

CajunBass
November 17, 2008, 08:51 AM
Weapon---We can't dare call our guns weapons anymore. Much too serious. Someone might be offended.

Toys--We can't call them toys either. Not serious enough but basically the same reason. Usually the same people.

MAKster
November 17, 2008, 09:03 AM
A term that pistol manufacturers try to aviod at all cost is DAO. Instead they make up words like DAK, LEM, Safe Action. Most shooters hate the idea of a heavy revolver-like trigger. DAO is to pistols what station wagon is to cars. Car manufacturers also make up terms like crossover, sport utility vehicle, etc.

qajaq59
November 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
I feel bad for the marketers. They go to school, study hard, and then work for years to rise to the top. And all we ever do is make fun of them. Life can be so cruel!!!! ::rolleyes:

Quoheleth
November 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
The all-time dirty word to the public: Assault weapon

2nd all time dirty word: automatic pistol or rifle

Magazine vs. clip [:neener: ducks for cover]

Q

Sean Dempsey
November 17, 2008, 10:53 AM
EXTREME = The exact same as the regular version, but the packaging uses a font called "cracked, stained, messy" or some variant. Also, include a bright colored stroke and a hefty dropshadow.

daskro
November 17, 2008, 11:05 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned chrome moly barrels. Chrome moly barrels are not chrome-lined barrels.

Hawk
November 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
"Match Grade Chamber" = "Our reamer is worn out".

Smokey Joe
November 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
Quajag 59--I feel bad for the marketers. They go to school, study hard, and then work for years to rise to the top. And all we ever do is make fun of them. Life can be so cruel!You're wasting your sympathy, IMHO. Marketers are nothing more than highly educated, highly skilled, very subtle LIARS. Whether they tell actual untruths, or attempt to have you believe what they imply w/o saying, chronic liars are looked down upon by society in general. People who make a living at lying deserve the disrespect they get.

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
Polymer is a honeycomb structure, as anyone should know the honeycomb is one of the strongest structures on the planet. Polymer is not plastic, it is plastic based, but that is like saying pot metal is stainless steel.

Parkerizing is a coating, powder COATING

Accurized - floated the barrel.

That's not accurate either, man.

Not all polymers are honeycomb.

Polymers can be plasticized, but they are simply chains of identical molecules like alkyl groups, that can form complex structures (like a honeycomb, for instance.)

thus, plastics are polymers, but not all polymers are plastic.

GEM
November 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Ultimate stopping power
Ultimate 9mm
Ultimate 45

etc.

Ultimate!!!

statelineblues
November 17, 2008, 12:19 PM
"Limited Edition" - someone put the wrong parts on this gun

"Exclusive Issue" - we couldn't sell enough of the regular model

"Custom Model" - see 'Limited Edition'

Rimmer
November 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
Quajag 59--
Quote:
I feel bad for the marketers. They go to school, study hard, and then work for years to rise to the top. And all we ever do is make fun of them. Life can be so cruel!
Smokey Joe
You're wasting your sympathy, IMHO. Marketers are nothing more than highly educated, highly skilled, very subtle LIARS. Whether they tell actual untruths, or attempt to have you believe what they imply w/o saying, chronic liars are looked down upon by society in general. People who make a living at lying deserve the disrespect they get.

I see you brought up Lawyers. Marketers know the difference but are paid to ignore the truth. :D

Claude Clay
November 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
'improved' as in the old one was not good but we sold it to you anyways. so i should trust you now and buy this one, right?
marketers who also make up names for the colors of rugs and paint: they have to be 'new', 'fresh', 'original', 'dynamic' and have 'ear appeal'

Tirod
November 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
Polymer = Fiberglass reinforced nylon.

Most polymer compounds used in injection molding are just variations in the ratio of glass to nylon. The cheapest use less glass, making an oily feeling, flexible material with little stiffness.

In knives, polymer = cheap crap. The price of one mold over thousands of flat grips is amortized quickly, and the overall cost is very low - as in pennies. A $25 dollar pocket knife has a lot of profit when the material costs are held under $3. Lots of them sell for that.

In guns, polymer has a place. HK used it on the furniture of the G3 decades ago, in the '70's. It's very durable and stronger than fiberglass laminated stocks. Heavier, too.

Gun frames in polymer do the job, like them or not. The SIG P250's will offer complete FRN grip frames in various sizes, in multiple calibers and slide/barrel lengths. Versatility in ergo's is accomodated a lot easier than in steel or aluminum. The lockworks gets the S#, just like the LCP.

How about "ordnance steel?" Just annealed 4000 series, no heat treat, and easy to machine. Chrome moly steel it isn't. Car engines use stronger alloys.

"Stainless?" IIRC, a 300 series corrosion resistant, low carbon alloy used in flatware. Not good enough for a decent cheap knife blade, and again, IIRC, you can't heat treat it, either. It is not Rustproof, a misunderstanding commonly held by the techno ignorant.

Gun materials are rather low tech compared to the average $100 liner lock folder. Sure explains why small business machine makers and cycle factories bid wartime contracts in the day, and how small makers can still make blued steel and wood guns pretty cheap overseas.

They just change the material names to make them look glamorous, that's all.

jaholder1971
November 17, 2008, 02:47 PM
Match grade - We actually put a part that's in spec on your rifle/pistol instead of the rejected Numrich parts we usually use.

JR47
November 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
"NEW", when applied to the firearms world is one of the least honest terms around. Most of the physical activities of a firearm are anything but new. The safety-trigger? Used in the early 20th century. Firing pin blocks? Schwartz safety in the 1930's. Transfer bar mechanism? Iver Johnson in the very early 20th century.

Laminated rifle stocks were in use in WWII. Semi-auto pistols were adopted by the military in the early 20th century, and offered for commercial sale in the late 19th century.

It isn't NEW, it's just been a while since it was offered.

biggiesmalls
November 17, 2008, 04:32 PM
OPTICS READY= we decided not to give you a rear sight so we can make it look like we charge you less for a rifle that you can't shoot out the box, while forcing you to either buy a buis or a scope. and we'll probably mount a fancy scope in our catalogue or on our website to make you inclined to buy the same one, without telling you that the optics companies pay us to do this.

biggiesmalls
November 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
ambidextrous = left handed guns are too expensive to make and we don't sell enough of them, so we're gonna make just one model that everyone can use and charge 30% more :)

DC300a
November 17, 2008, 05:07 PM
Tactical is the word that rubs me the wrong way mainly because of over use.

I have seen Tactical Pants, Tactical Shirts and Tactical Vests. Their only distinguishing feature was that they had 47 different pockets.
I have seen all forms of tactical knives and guns that were simply painted black.

There are countless whirrly-gigs and whizbangs to bolt, screw, glue, velcro and duct tape to your weapon, your "tactical" vest, or even your person that do little more than get in the way or make too much noise... but they are called tactical so they must make you Rambo.

I even saw a pair of tactical socks for Christ's Sake!!!:barf:

camxrr
November 17, 2008, 07:36 PM
"The most accurate..." = "we're better liars than our competitors"

zoom6zoom
November 17, 2008, 09:58 PM
"Match Grade Chamber" = "Our reamer is worn out".
Now that one made me laugh out loud!

If you enjoyed reading about "Dirty words in firearm marketing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!