Source for 158gr Cast SWCHP in .357?

PDA

jjohnson
November 16, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hey, guys!

It's loading time, and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good source for Keith-style semiwadcutter hollow points for .357 Mag. I know it's not too hard to find semiwadcutters, but I haven't found a source for hollow points. I'd just load Ranier bullets, but their prices have gone from high:eek: to just plain stupid :what:. You know.... why buy plated bullets for the same you can get 'real' jacketed ones from Remington or Winchester?:scrutiny:

I'm loading these for a carbine, so I can get a little more boost going there than out of a revolver barrel. That's why I want the hollow points in the first place - as hunting ammo. I know I could use Berry's bullets, too, but it keeps coming back to the same idea - the price is so close to major brand jacketed pistol bullets that there's little point.:cuss: Any ideas? Thanks for sharing!

If you enjoyed reading about "Source for 158gr Cast SWCHP in .357?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
November 17, 2008, 05:27 AM
The last I bought were Zero brand from Roze Distributing. They are swaged lead, not cast, and I think they might be too soft for rifle velocities. In fact every 158gr SWCHP I've heard of was pretty much dead soft to allow expansion. I don't think a cast bullet, even with a hollow point, would do much in the way of expanding.

The cast SWC should work fine for hunting as-is. Penetration counts too.

Remo-99
November 17, 2008, 05:48 AM
Plated bullets have their issues, when run at rifle velocities. If you can get JHP for not much more $$$. They're a better option for rifle hunting. IMO.
I used to use the Speer 146gr HP SWC half jackets for .357mag, but I think they dropped that line.
Lately I've mostly been using the Lyman 250gr GC'ed hollow cavity 'Devastator' mold for .44mag, in a Browning model 92 levergun, it works great for hunting at ranges <100yards.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=26

armoredman
November 17, 2008, 06:05 AM
I bought the mould for a 158gr SWCHP, we'll see how it works when I get around too it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Source for 158gr Cast SWCHP in .357?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!