model 66 tips+tricks

PDA

peteinct
January 15, 2003, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone, I just bought a Model 66, 4 inch. It shows wear on the finish but shoots pretty good esp. single action. Is there any tips or tricks or things I should know about it? Are there any common failings I should watch for or things I should do to keep it in shape? It has the rubber grips which I may want to replace with wood later. Is there anyone else who dislikes the orange insert in the front sight? I may try to blacken it somehow. It feels nice in my hand shooting and points well for me but I'm still a better shot with my CZ 75b. I must need more practice.
thanks, pete

If you enjoyed reading about "model 66 tips+tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian D.
January 15, 2003, 12:16 PM
Watch for flame cutting on the underside of the topstrap, after LOTS of shooting there could be some wear. Uh, don't fling the cylinder shut like the TV people do. When dumping empties out of the cylinder, the more straight up you keep the barrel, the more dirt won't stay behind in the chambers or under the cyl. star. When cleaning/lubing, put an occasional drop or two of oil down in the works while the hammer is cocked. Daggone revos are pretty user friendly, almost idiot proof. Enjoy.

tbeb
January 15, 2003, 01:18 PM
You have a classic revolver. I once owned a 4" 19 (blue) and a 2 1/2" 66 and loved them both. I clean my guns after every range session--some probably don't. For a self defense load I used the Winchester .357 magnum 145 gr. Silvertip JHP. Do your rubber grips cover the back of grip frame? If they do, then you will see they really help cushion recoil. I like the red ramp front sight.

M1911
January 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
I'm with tbeb -- I like the orange ramp front sight. Much better than the black sight on my Model 19. You've got a great gun. Shoot it, clean it, dry fire it, and enjoy.

Bottom Gun
January 16, 2003, 11:31 AM
You have to shoot it at least twice each month to keep the barrel straight.
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "model 66 tips+tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!