Mo has CCW....now what?

PDA

Rickstir
September 18, 2003, 11:59 AM
Boy this has been a long time coming. Last week Missourians were given back the right to protect themselves.

So many decisions.

I have a line on training so that will be taken care of.

Of the four handguns I own, I would only consider carrying the Beretta 92FS. Which is of course a rather large gun. So now what?

I am 6' 2" and weight right at 300 lbs. A little round around the middle if you get my drift.

Does anyone carry a 92FS for primary concealed? I like the weapon and shoot it pretty good.

What would be some alternatives?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mo has CCW....now what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pogo2
September 18, 2003, 02:10 PM
I know that some folks will carry a Beretta 92 concealed, but it is a challenge. For a 9mm CCW gun, I think that something smaller than the 92 is easier to manage.

My first choice would be a Glock 19, which still gives you 15+1 rounds of 9mm, but is much smaller and lighter than the Beretta. While the Beretta 92 weighs 34.4 ounces empty, the Glock 19 weighs 21 ounces empty, a savings of over 13 ounces. The Glock is also very smooth and rounded in shape, with no external safety or hammer, and is much less likely to snag on clothing than the Beretta. Every trigger pull on the Glock is 5.5 lbs with no DA/SA transition like the Beretta, which could improve first shot accuracy.

Alternatives to the Glock might include the Walther P99 or the Sig P239, both of which are small and concealable, yet reliable and accurate.
http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/19.gif

El Tejon
September 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
WHICH GUN???

The one you like best.:)

Kamicosmos
September 18, 2003, 08:36 PM
I plan on carrying my SP101 that I bought right before the Veto.

I may carry my Beretta 96 during the winter when I'll be wearing heavy coats and sweaters, but even then will probably stick with the SP.

notbubba
September 18, 2003, 11:26 PM
Mo has CCW....now what?

Well, now you get to buy three or four holesters that don't work just right for you, so you will then have a "holster drawer"
:p

Black Snowman
September 18, 2003, 11:47 PM
The alternatives are as diverse as the guns available. There are dozens if not hundrads of good CCW choices. I like guns that are big enough to be confidence inspiring but small enough to be comfortable to carry.

KS doesn't have CCW yet but I've given the subject lots of thought. In the order of likelyhood I have:

Glock 23 (.40 S&W version of the 19)
CZ 85B Combat (only available in 9mm)
CZ 97B (a little on the large size like the 92 but smoother contours) this would likely be a winter only gun.

I'd also like a tiny back-up or summer gun. Something like a Glock 36 (.45 ACP single stack), Glock 27 (.40 double stack) or maybe even a Darringer.

Since I already have a Glock 24P I'll probably get a 23 and a 27 since the mags from the larger guns are usable in the smaller versions.

Kamicosmos
September 19, 2003, 12:57 AM
Well, now you get to buy three or four holesters that don't work just right for you, so you will then have a "holster drawer"

I just got my first CCW holster yesterday in the mail. (High Noon Hidden Alley) and as I'm wearing it around the house, I'm already thinking...man, I need this to cant foward just a little bit more!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mo has CCW....now what?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!