Should I be looking for a certain build of Receiver?

PDA

SirSavage
November 17, 2008, 02:51 AM
I've just been informed by someone who I'm not sure knows anything about guns that I need to get NOT a cast aluminum receiver, NOT a milled aluminum receiver, but a FORGED aluminum receiver.

Is this true?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I be looking for a certain build of Receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
November 17, 2008, 02:57 AM
I assume you're talking about AR-15s. I don't know of anyone who's still casting AR-15 receivers. All forgings and castings are milled. There's no other way to do the final machining on one; it's not an AK receiver that can be milled from a block of steel, or stamped from a sheet of steel.

Rubber_Duck
November 17, 2008, 03:11 AM
ugaarguy has it right. Any receiver these days will work, as long as you stay away from Hesse/Vulcan.

Pick the receiver with the logo you like and build your gun from there. :)

SirSavage
November 17, 2008, 03:30 AM
thanks, and yea ar15s :p

bkb0000
November 17, 2008, 06:19 AM
if by "milled" you mean "billet," then you certainly can get a milled receiver.. only it's called billet.. and billet receivers are usually really nice. and expensive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I be looking for a certain build of Receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!