CHP and Point-Shooting

PDA

HC
November 17, 2008, 04:31 PM
In Applegate/Melson THE CLOSE-COMBAT FILES OF COL REX APPLEGATE, the editor states that the California Highway Patrol is "currently" (book dates from 1998) teaching Point-Shooting. Would someone know if they still do? Is/was it only taught for their pistols, or also for long arms?
And related, does the CHP authorise or issue any BUGs in addition to the S&W Model 4006TSW?
Many thanks!

Cheers

HANS

If you enjoyed reading about "CHP and Point-Shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JImbothefiveth
November 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
Why do you want to know?

HC
November 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
I find it interesting. I've read a lot about Point-Shooting, but most of the sources are old (pre-WWII, WWII, 1970s at best -- Fairbairn, Applegate, Cassidy, etc). Seeing the argument between Point-Shooting and Modern Technique still rages on, it would be refreshing to hear from a large, modern organisation how it works for them (or worked, if they are not using it any longer), whether they only teach it for handguns and use something else for their shotties and rifles, etc.

Cheers

HANS

JImbothefiveth
November 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
You could probably call them, or a CHP academy and ask.

I hear the military used a program involving sightless BB guns to teach point shooting during Vietnam, not sure how well that worked.

If you enjoyed reading about "CHP and Point-Shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!