switching out M1A barrel

PDA

Retro
November 17, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi, I wanted to remove my USGI barrel from standard M1A and add in a Krieger barrel.

I need suggestions regarding which type I should get?

1. Medium weight?
2. Heavy weight?

I am interested in a 1- 1.5 MOI gun in 100 yards. I am leaning towards the heavy weight...

Also, do I need any additional parts to accomodate the Krieger heavy barrel in my standard M1A receiver? I have JAE 100 stock, and so I am not too worried about glass bedding issues.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Retro

If you enjoyed reading about "switching out M1A barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
H2O MAN
November 17, 2008, 04:25 PM
I have a chrome lined 18" standard profile SEI/Wilson barrel that shoots 1.0 - 1.5 MOA.

My more accurate barrel is another 18" SEI/Wilson tube, but it has a medium heavy profile.

Contact Ron Smith at SEI, he has replaced 4 M14 barrels for me with outstanding results :)

30Cal
November 17, 2008, 04:37 PM
The heavyweight adds two pounds to the front of the rifle over the standard profile. Unless you add 1-2lbs of lead to the back end, it's not going to balance very well at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "switching out M1A barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!