Inexpensive optics for flat top AR????

PDA

KABA
November 17, 2008, 08:51 PM
It would probably help to give a little information about myself I suppose.

I'm 59 years old. My eyesight has always been weak and hasn't improved with age. I don't hunt or competition shoot. I bought this flat top AR primarily as SHTF weapon and as a reminder of my Army days, (1968-1970). I'm thinking with my vision I'll need something bright that would allow me to acquire a sight picture fairly quickly.

Would an inexpensive halo be appropriate? Or something in the order of a quality iron sight?

I appreciate the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive optics for flat top AR????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
97guns
November 17, 2008, 09:13 PM
im running the bushnell holo on mine, it was only $125 off ebay with the live.com 25% off deal.

Seafarer12
November 17, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have an uber cheap BSA holo from midway I paid 30 bucks for on sale. It isn't great but it works. I am running it on my Contender pistol.

esq_stu
November 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
The ultra cheap red dots I have are not expected to last. But they have so far and reduce group sizes a lot.

National match or other front sight posts also help with my bad eyes. I also like smaller apertures on the rear sight.

Frog48
November 17, 2008, 10:03 PM
I've had great luck with my Bushnell Trophy MP. I've had it a little over a year; got it for $199 at Cabelas.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/SigEpGrant/Outdoors/Firearms/BushnellTrophyMP.jpg

fgr39
November 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
what about a low power variable Bushnell makes the banner 1-4 power that works well, Nikkon makes a 2-7 power that I have thought about using. Low power gives a quick sight picture but you can also dial it up for longer shots.

gvnwst
November 17, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have a Millett red dot, found it for $52, and it has held up. I can pull the trigger 8 times a second for short periods of time, and it stands up to that all the time. the millet has a pretty good rep, but if you have the money, a Bushnell Trophy may be a bit better.

RyanM
November 17, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have a Millett red dot, found it for $52, and it has held up. I can pull the trigger 8 times a second for short periods of time, and it stands up to that all the time. the millet has a pretty good rep, but if you have the money, a Bushnell Trophy may be a bit better.

Milletts are absolutely the best value for the money. I have one on an AOW shotgun. It's held up great. They're probably just about the most shock-resistant red dot scope under $150.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/syldssuf/serbu3.jpg

KABA
November 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ryan, that's a great looking SBS. I'm jealous!

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive optics for flat top AR????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!